Ranger SAS

I would not cut the bed like that.

Decided to scrap where I was going with the angle iron crossmember. Opted for 2x2x.25" square. Notched it and fit a piece of 2x2x 1/8" angle iron to close off the tubing.

I've been bit by at least 12 ants in the past three days while laying up under this truck measuring, fitting, tacking.

Any tips for finding optimal drive line angle? Once the last support is welded to the crossmember, I won't be able to adjust the height/angle of the transmission and transfer case.
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG

Ranger has sort of been on the back burner for the past few weeks, between family obligations, lake weather, wheeling the Toyota and grinding stumps.

My next three goals for this thing are
A. Source 2.5" wide rear springs that will net me about 6" lift. ( hoping for some suggestions from the peanut gallery)

B. Source saginaw pump, modify 4.0 bracket and reconnect hydro assist.

C. Source 37" military tires for hotrodding around town

Hopefully some progress this week

I dont know if you have found the threads on rangerstation, but there is alot of info on putting saginaw pumps into rangers. Problem is, the pumps and brackets can be hard to find. I think its the "horseshoe" bracket that allows a fairly direct swap onto the pulley assembly. Again, finding one can be tough.
The Ford Ranger Saginaw Power Steering Pump Swap
Keep us posted.

Xj springs are 2.5" so might be able to find some that might net that much lift how long do they need to be from eye to eye

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

My next three goals for this thing are
A. Source 2.5" wide rear springs that will net me about 6" lift. ( hoping for some suggestions from the peanut gallery )

Hopefully some progress this week
9038-1b420609f08599d9dd1e376b10bc79b5.jpg

Reworking the rear hanger sorta like this nets a good amount of lift near free. Close to 6 inches and points the pinion in the right direction.

Edit...revisited thread and caught a view of the area shackle. Appears to be already flipped. If so I apologize.

Last edited:
Finally got around to working on the ranger instead of spending money on it. Got the fender trimmed to match the other side. Still need to cut the front bumper, move a small support inward and clean up some edges.
IMG_2902.JPG

I scored a deal on some square and rectangular 3/16" tubing, so I took my first crack at a set of sliders. They should be on the truck within the week. Legs are 2x2 and slider is 3x2. Got a huge boost of confidence after finally switching to 75/25 gas in my Hobart 187. Used my plasma sabre to cut scabs for the frame rails. Rear portion of the slider will likely get shortened or I may add a .120 wall round tube support going up to the frame.
IMG_2904.JPG

I acquired some 37x12.5x16.5 mt's for scooting around town. Plan to keep the irok's for IF this thing ever sees a trail. About crapped my pants trying to get the first one mounted, so I may bite the bullet and take them to a shop. I did get all of them on the wheel, but second bead on each has been a test.

IMG_2918.JPG
Well, I got the tires mounted and balanced with 10 oz of airsoft bb's. haven't taken it up the road yet. Had to patch one tire and melted a few valve stems seating the bead with ether.

Also finished up the rocksliders and got them welded on today. I think I underestimated just how much work they were going to take.
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG

I believe I have collected everything I need for the Saginaw pump conversion. That will be this weeks task and hopefully I can get it done before my girlfriend comes to town Friday.

IMG_2926.JPG
I got the P Pump cleaned and rebuilt today. I considered making a few modifications to up my flow and pressure but decided I would run it stock and see how she does.
IMG_2927.JPG

I'm trying to keep my momentum, so tomorrow I plan to modify the stock bracket from a 1992 4.0L explorer to accept the p pump.

Where are you mounting the remote reservoir? Same shaft diameter to use the stock pulley? Lookin good.

Last edited:
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG
P pump and pulley came from a 1995 e250
Horseshoe bracket for a 5.0l from PSC
PSC Remote reservoir can
4.0l power steering pump bracket from a 1992 explorer
Rebuild kit from advance auto
Reservoir from an ex-mark lawn mower
Fittings will be from pirtek of Charlotte

View attachment 252168 View attachment 252167 View attachment 252166 View attachment 252165 P pump and pulley came from a 1995 e250
Horseshoe bracket for a 5.0l from PSC
PSC Remote reservoir can
4.0l power steering pump bracket from a 1992 explorer
Rebuild kit from advance auto
Reservoir from an ex-mark lawn mower
Fittings will be from pirtek of Charlotte

That's quite the shopping list and top marks for incorporating a lawn mower part into the build. Curious to see the final product. Might need your ingenuity to figure out some hydro assist on my rig.

I thought you guys might like that. It should hold about a quart. As long as Pirtek has some fitting for 3/8 and 5/8 hose that fit my ports, I think I will have dodged a costly piece of the puzzle.

Nice, thanks for sharing. This horseshoe braket opens up new ideas to explore finally getting a.c. back in my 5.0 4runner. Previous power steering pump swap was done with rough custom steel braket deleting AC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Got my pump installed with the hose from an 1984 Ford van. Should be picking up my fittings tomorrow from pirtek. Then need to make a mount for the reservoir. Plan to utilize those two ac compressor bolts.
IMG_2969.JPG

Xj springs are 2.5" so might be able to find some that might net that much lift how long do they need to be from eye to eye

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
You will also need the center pin measurement from the front eye. XJ and MJ's have different distances and MJ springs will stretch the WB 3" on an XJ IIRC. If the center pin is not the same on the Ranger springs it will alter you WB. Love the Ranger. I had a 93 standard cab before I got my xj.

Sweated my ass off this weekend trying to get this reservoir mounting figured out. Spent 35 dollars on 2 45degree #10jic fittings, only to realize I was going to have enough room for barbs that's large. Chopped the barbs down and still not enough room. Ended up connecting the 2 #10jic male threads with a 4.5" section of 3/4" hydraulic line and 2 clamps. Less than ideal, but seems to be working. Couldn't believe the hood would close with corner of the reservoir sticking up, but I suppose I lucked out. Only took it around the yard, but seems to be working well. Time will tell, once I reconnect the hydraulic assist ram.
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_2997.JPG

Back