Power Ball

So, here's an idea.
Why dosn't somebody start up a company who serves as as "gatherer" for Powerball players. They get as many people as possible to join into a giant pool, like people do in offices etc, plus some skim off the top for company. Collect the money directly and buy the tickets. Payout goes down but probability goes up.
I wonder how many would buy in, could you get it to the point that the payout was pretty small, but almost certain? lol

but thats just a math problem

Couldn't you buy enough tickets now? If there are 292MM combinations you'd need $584MM. Other than that little stumbling block you're golden.

So, here's an idea.
Why dosn't somebody start up a company who serves as as "gatherer" for Powerball players. They get as many people as possible to join into a giant pool, like people do in offices etc, plus some skim off the top for company. Collect the money directly and buy the tickets. Payout goes down but probability goes up.
I wonder how many would buy in, could you get it to the point that the payout was pretty small, but almost certain? lol

Can you buy ever lottery ticket combination? - Straight Dope Message Board

If i was to win, find out a state that I can be an anonomous (sp) winner, buy a cheap house change my address legally, file my winnings in that state and not tell anyone!!

I may be wrong but they know what state the ticket was purchased in and I think you have to announce from that state if they require it.

So, here's an idea.

oh no... . . . i hate math...

buying wheeling/hunting land is already ok'd by the misses. so we'd have one helluva place to play

Couldn't you buy enough tickets now? If there are 292MM combinations you'd need $584MM. Other than that little stumbling block you're golden.

I'm not sure why the odds are 1:292million.

If my math is correct, there are over 40billion combinations of numbers.

I'm not sure why the odds are 1:292million.

If my math is correct, there are over 40billion combinations of numbers.
5 balls of 1-69, 1 ball 1-26.
COMBIN(69,5) x COMBIN(26,1) = 292,201,338
Uh oh - nerd math fight!

(this is why I didn't do the math)

I may be wrong but they know what state the ticket was purchased in and I think you have to announce from that state if they require it.

I just bought the ticket passing through your fine state to my new home..................

So, here's an idea.

Kind of like real genius? Lol

5 balls of 1-69, 1 ball 1-26.
COMBIN(69,5) x COMBIN(26,1) = 292,201,338

Using the fundamental counting principle to figure the number of possible outcomes, I still get over 35billion possible outcomes

69*(69-1)*(69-2)*(69-3)*(69-4)*(26)=35billion possible outcomes

Odds and probability are different than figuring the number of possible combinations.

Last edited:
And Privacy

After all that. I think that I would try and find a place to live where my kids could go to school so we could raise them to not be assholes.

Nice house on the water some where. Spend my days tinkering in my shop. Maybe start restoring a Ford Truck from every generation. Would definitely try and see the world. Pipe dreams but fun none the less.

Great thing about Ford is you can start by restoring a 2016!
Sorry, I couldn't resist a Ford joke!

Using the fundamental counting principle to figure the number of possible outcomes, I still get over 35billion possible outcomes

69*(69-1)*(69-2)*(69-3)*(69-4)*(26)=35billion possible outcomes

Odds and probability are different than figuring the number of possible combinations.

I think you're using permutations which would mean no number can be used more than once or that order matters. Those aren't part of it so plain old fundamental counting principle brings it back down to the original number.
Damn it, I really am a nerd.

I think its rigged, what about that NC woman who posted bail for $21 million to get her heroin dealing boyfriend out. You cant buy class that is for sure.

Back