PIT BULLS

I second the motion to do away with stupid people. Then again, they will probably accuse us of having our pit bulls do it.

:shaking: While we're @ it can we ban llamas too? I had one @ the zoo spit on me when I was 6.....Tragic

OK Lets get stupid and post stats.

Here's the link from the ATTS

~American Temperament Test Society, Inc.~
http://www.atts.org/

NC4X4 site will smash this info all together but the last
number is the important one, % that passed by breed.

* note that the pit breed passed by about 84%.

One of the lowest passing breeds on this page was the AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG !!!
Lets ban ALL Australian Cattle Dogs !!

Breed Name Tested Passed Failed Percent

AFGHAN HOUND 161 116 45 72.0%
AIREDALE TERRIER 98 75 23 76.5%
AKBASH DOG 14 12 2 85.7%
AKITA 447 329 118 73.6%
ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG 6 4 2 66.7%
ALASKAN MALAMUTE 187 158 29 84.5%
AMERICAN BULLDOG 136 113 23 83.1%
AMERICAN ESKIMO 78 65 13 83.3%
AMERICAN FOXHOUND 2 2 0 100.0%
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 542 456 86 84.1%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 521 437 84 83.9%
AMERICAN TUNNEL TERRIER 2 2 0 100.0%
AMERICAN WATER SPANIEL 6 5 1 83.3%
ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD DOG 26 21 5 80.8%
AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG 162 127 35 78.4%
AUSTRALIAN KELPIE 6 5 1 83.3%
AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD 571 461 110 80.7%
AUSTRALIAN TERRIER 16 13 3 81.3%
AZAWAKH 1 1 0 100.0%
BASENJI 159 106 53 66.7%
BASSET HOUND 33 28 5 84.8%
BEAGLE 59 47 12 79.7%
BEARDED COLLIE 45 24 21 53.3%
BEAUCERON 11 8 3 72.7%
BEDLINGTON TERRIER 19 18 1 94.7%
BELGIAN LAEKENOIS 4 4 0 100.0%
BELGIAN MALINOIS 214 194 20 90.7%

a troubled and undisciplined home will produce both troubled animals and troubled children. the majority of bad dogs and bad kids today are just vicitms of bad parenting...if they get any parenting at all.

its not "bad dogs"....its "bad dog owners".

Certain dogs have traits breed into them . ever heard of a beagle killing anybody.

Lets just dissect this 1 point.
What traits are bred into beagles?
The ability and desire to chase catch and kill small animals (namely rabbitts) I have 2 beagles in my home and have no problem with my kids playing with them, they alos get taken hunting, but back to point.

So the beagle has the ability and desire to chase catch and kill...yet they dont kill anyone.

Look at it like this. My son is 6 he has not grown much since he was 4 but at 4 he was 4'6" tall and weighed 75 lbs.

Now when he played with other 4 year olds, if any rough housing started my son would hurt smaller kids, with less harsh actions than a "normal" sized kid. Now luckily there were no incidents partly because my kids and my dogs ae raised right and partly a little luck in all honesty.

But lets say that my kid had hurt someone. Is it now fair to assume that all brown haired brown eyed white boys should be euthanized as they are dangerous? No what would have made him more prone to hurt another kid would have been his size.

The number of dog bite stranger incidents each year for Daschsunds is probably 100 times that of pitbulls, only when a dacshund bites its funny, when a pit bites, it has the strength and size to do real damage..

And of course there is the ever present media hype machine...
BRUTAL PIT BULL MAIMS CHILD
When a pup jumps onto a 17 year old and scratches their arm...

No

Lets just dissect this 1 point.
What traits are bred into beagles?
The ability and desire to chase catch and kill small animals (namely rabbitts) I have 2 beagles in my home and have no problem with my kids playing with them, they alos get taken hunting, but back to point.
So the beagle has the ability and desire to chase catch and kill...yet they dont kill anyone.
Look at it like this. My son is 6 he has not grown much since he was 4 but at 4 he was 4'6" tall and weighed 75 lbs.
Now when he played with other 4 year olds, if any rough housing started my son would hurt smaller kids, with less harsh actions than a "normal" sized kid. Now luckily there were no incidents partly because my kids and my dogs ae raised right and partly a little luck in all honesty.
But lets say that my kid had hurt someone. Is it now fair to assume that all brown haired brown eyed white boys should be euthanized as they are dangerous? No what would have made him more prone to hurt another kid would have been his size.
The number of dog bite stranger incidents each year for Daschsunds is probably 100 times that of pitbulls, only when a dacshund bites its funny, when a pit bites, it has the strength and size to do real damage..
And of course there is the ever present media hype machine...
BRUTAL PIT BULL MAIMS CHILD
When a pup jumps onto a 17 year old and scratches their arm...
No

I'm with ya 100%.

Also, guns kill people, black guns are bad and everybody that goes four wheeling is a drunk redneck that doesn't care about treading lightly. Kill all the baby seals ....... :bounce:

A lot of people know Semi. She is 107 chocolate lab. We got her when she was 2. We don't know how she was treated before us. She had been trained and worked with. She doesn't like sticks, thunder or gun shots. She does great with the cats, she is the one that usually gets hurt, not the cat. She is a great dog! We have grandbabies that poke, pull, and fall on her. She has never shown any aggression to them.

Still.....I don't fully trust her. Someone said previously not to leave them alone with the dog. I don't.

Oh, she's smiling in the pic! LOL

I've got a 135lb Chesapeake bay retriever that I've had for 10 years. She's a great dog who has been spoiled from day one. she lives indoors and has always been around people. All that being said, I still don't like to put her around people she doesn't know when I or my wife isn't around. I found out after getting one of these that they are super protective and territorial. She has lunged, barked and acted very agressive towards people she doesn't know over the years, she also took a chunk out of a neighbors stomach 7 years ago. I love this dog but doubt I'll ever own another, it's too much of a liablity. She wasn't treated badly, she wasn't inbred at all, it's just the nature of the breed much like pitbulls. I know pit owners say its the owners not the dogs, I disagree. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones, but it's one of the few breeds of dogs that make me nervous around them. I've heard your arguements, I just disagree.

I've got a 135lb Chesapeake bay retriever that I've had for 10 years. She's a great dog who has been spoiled from day one. she lives indoors and has always been around people. All that being said, I still don't like to put her around people she doesn't know when I or my wife isn't around. I found out after getting one of these that they are super protective and territorial. She has lunged, barked and acted very agressive towards people she doesn't know over the years, she also took a chunk out of a neighbors stomach 7 years ago. I love this dog but doubt I'll ever own another, it's too much of a liablity. She wasn't treated badly, she wasn't inbred at all, it's just the nature of the breed much like pitbulls. I know pit owners say its the owners not the dogs, I disagree. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones, but it's one of the few breeds of dogs that make me nervous around them. I've heard your arguements, I just disagree.

Being able to disagree is what makes this country great... your disagreement is well noted, and i appreciate it, since unlike many others on here, u have stated facts to support your decision.

X2. People are gonna disagree. It is nice to see when it can be done with thought processes and reasoning that exceeds a third grade level.

sounds like good parenting!

i had a chesepeake before my pitt mix and ridgeback mix and he was the same way. infact...he was much less social and tolerant than either of the animals i have now.

people just need to start being responsible for their pets and their actions. if you have a dog (regardless of breed) that is predispositioned to show territorial or protective aggression...it is your responsibility to handle them.

lack of involvment with your animal and lack of training lead to problems. it is just a shame that so many pitts are purchased/bred for the wrong reasons, then neglected, never trained, have irresponsible owners, and then they become a problem.

pitts are awsome animals...but require an experienced handler becuase of their size and prey drive. no different than a chesapeake or ridgeback or any other large breed.

it just boils down to an owner who is responsible for their animal. plain and simple.

Here is our pit/lab mix...

I dare someone to tell me this dog is a danger!

duke.jpg

duke7.jpg

duke8.jpg

duke6.jpg

I posted in the freebie section out of defense for the breed. My bad. I'm a little late seeing this thread. There's a lot of traits that are bred into a dog. This is a fact. Many of those traits in a lot of breeds have worn off some over the yrs. do to most dogs nowadays being used strictly as pets. I've been around A LOT of dogs in my life. My Papa bred German Shepherds (German and American bloodlines), Bloodhounds, and Daschunds. He also had many other breeds over the yrs.
My Granddad bred Dobermans. Different breeds tend to have different temperaments and personalities, but the personalities of most dogs is dog specific not breed specific. Growing up, a German Shepherd has always been my favorite dog. They are one the the best all around breeds. My parents still have one that is approaching 12 yrs. old. I, personally, own 2 APBTs. I have a 1.5 yr. old female and a 1 yr. old male. Both of these dogs are wonderful pets and companions. My female loves EVERYONE and ALL dogs and most cats! She even plays and takes care of my girlfriend's 3 mos. old Maltipoo! My male likes all dogs as well but wont back down if another male jumps him, otherwise, he'll want to play with any dog! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but IMO, the APBT, AmStaff, and other bulldog breeds are awesome dogs and extremely smart.

Thanks to NCJeepin for helpin get these photos up here!
This is my boy Bruce. He will be 1 yr. old Feb. 5. He is 22" at the shoulder and 85lbs.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

#1 - I wanted to say that in the original post about the free dogs it states that the animals are pups but around 30lbs, with this in mind, they have been living somewhere!! Who knows how they were treated, or how temperamental they will be. So my comment about getting them euthanized was about those two particular animals that may have been (I know that it is only a chance) mistreated. Why take the chance or let someone else. Sure they are great dogs now, they are hungry and want attention.

#2 - My comment about putting them down may have been a little to strong. However, I have seen the aftermath of my neighbors pit that attacked a child when a ball was thrown into the yard, and the child went to retreive it. Sure the 10 year old kid should not have ran into the neighbors yard, blah blah blah... The dog was 7ish and had NEVER bit anyone including the kid nor myself, but at that particular moment, the dog was not under the control of the owner, and it snapped. The Girl ended up with her cheek tore open and required many stiches to close it up.

#3 - My brother who owned a very sweet boxer had to have it put down after it bit his child and tore her arm up. Once again the boxer had never bit anyone. I played with her very rough. We would wrestle and she would "box" with me. His daughter was 2and was playing in the living room and the dog tore her up. he was in the bathroom and we have no clue what caused her to do it, but she did.

So, with that said, I am not an ignorant person! Nor is anyone else on here, we all have opinions based on what we "know" about things. For example, I "know" that Jeeps Rule!! :fuck-you:

#1 - I wanted to say that in the original post about the free dogs it states that the animals are pups but around 30lbs, with this in mind, they have been living somewhere!! Who knows how they were treated, or how temperamental they will be. So my comment about getting them euthanized was about those two particular animals that may have been (I know that it is only a chance) mistreated. Why take the chance or let someone else. Sure they are great dogs now, they are hungry and want attention.

Sorry I cant resist....does this logic apply to orphan children also? They could have been mistreated, plus they will love you at first, they need food and attention. :flipoff2: (In jest)

Yeah Andy.. I dont have an issue with you, just your current statements......

1. We dont know anything about them, so lets kill them.... That rigth there is more brutal then any dog could be.

2. Your friend who left their small child alone playing with a dog is a complete idiot... Any good parent knows better then to leave any small child with any type of animal.

#2 - My comment about putting them down may have been a little to strong. However, I have seen the aftermath of my neighbors pit that attacked a child when a ball was thrown into the yard, and the child went to retreive it. Sure the 10 year old kid should not have ran into the neighbors yard, blah blah blah... The dog was 7ish and had NEVER bit anyone including the kid nor myself, but at that particular moment, the dog was not under the control of the owner, and it snapped. The Girl ended up with her cheek tore open and required many stiches to close it up.
#3 - My brother who owned a very sweet boxer had to have it put down after it bit his child and tore her arm up. Once again the boxer had never bit anyone. I played with her very rough. We would wrestle and she would "box" with me. His daughter was 2and was playing in the living room and the dog tore her up. he was in the bathroom and we have no clue what caused her to do it, but she did.
So, with that said, I am not an ignorant person! Nor is anyone else on here, we all have opinions based on what we "know" about things. For example, I "know" that Jeeps Rule!! :fuck-you:

what kind of dog do you have? tell me you are not making these statements based soley on what you have heard?

i mean....i have heard some pretty bad stuff about jeeps. and i don't think they belong on the trails (joke). i don't have one....it is just based on what i have heard.

Mod statement- as long as its clean and above water this discussion is fine thus far. Were all adults and all have opinions. As long as everyone respects others' opinions as well were
fine..

mike004.jpg

This is my brothers dog Roxy, when uncle mike visits she gets her belly rub or im not able to really do much else until she does.. She is the bigest baby ive ever seen a dog be..

that said. I wouldn't leave a small child alone with any dog of any size. I'd ask why are you leaving a small child unattended in the first place.

Every dog is different it depends on the up brining and temperament. Even dogs from the same litter have different temperaments and levels of aggression. Dogs can be trained to do anything, but many have 1000s of years of breading that gives them traits good and bad... My last dog Buddy was an Australian Cattle dog, he just knew how to heard things, he was antsy unless he was doing stuff.

my .02 is, people need to worry more about them selfs and what your doing vs what everyone else is doing..

Back