PIT BULLS

Got to ask yourself, do you really sleep well at night knowing that dog is sleeping in your childs bedroom? Not me bud because you do not really know the predictability of that animal but you may think you do which may be a tragedy.

Yes, yes I do. I trust a well trained dog over a person anyday. They do what they've been trained to do, and what will please their owner, and defend the pack at all costs. People 'think' and are completely unpredictable.

When i joined the army, I had top find a home for my dog, a Rott/doberman mix. Now my 76 yr old 4'11" grandmother has a guard dog/companion that weighs as much as she does. And the dogs mionds without a leash, sleeps next to her bed, and has even gotten the Jehovah's(Sp?) Witnesses to stop coming by (The dog almost never barks, and will suprise you when she walks out of the shadows unannounced). My grandma is the type of person that has always been afraid of larger dogs, and always had small toy breeds that a house cat could beatup. I let her take care of my dog for one weekend, and haven't gotten her back in over two years!

I honestly think that the reason Pits got such a bad rap is because people started using them as Fight dogs due to there strong jaws, etc..

I believe that statement would not be correct since they have been "fight dogs" since the 1800's or so.

They have a LONG history as loyal family dogs and were bred NOT to bite their human handlers.

The problem started around the 1970's when the drug dealing population learned they can exploit this breeds intense loyalty into something very ugly.

There are more attacks and more injuries from pits because more Pitts are used for fighting dogs and for a status symbol... how many times do you ride through the ghetto and see a pit chained up with ships anchor chain in the middle of the front yard????? That’s why the stats are so high...
My future wife and I have a pit lab mix, and that dog is the best thing that has ever happened to us, a wonderful jeep dog and a wonderful family dog. We won’t leave him alone around any small children we may have, but honestly if you leave ANY "animal" alone with a small child you’re asking for trouble.
If labs, cocker spaniels or any other breed was the most used for fighting or status symbol this discussion would be about them.
I just hate it when people don’t look at all the facts, just take a small piece and run with it; it honestly shows ignorance and lack of ability to have a complete thought.
MODS: Move this over to the garage, and I will tell y'all what I really think...
My pit/lab mix is my buddy, friend, and protector; I won’t tolerate prejudice against him or anyone else in my family.

Since Rottweilers were mentioned....

I had a male Rotty who was German bloodline and professionally trained as a pup. He was a true guard dog, and it was beautiful to watch. My kids would play in the yard, he moved constantly to stay between them, and the road. It was great to watch him work, he stayed between my family and anyone until given a rest command, then he bounced off, but kept a close eye on the situation. My son rode him like a horse one time(around age 4) (while my wife stepped inside to use the bathroom, think SHE didnt trust the dog?) and pulled 2 huge handfuls of hair out, he laid down, rolled until my son fell off, and ran across the yard to literally lick his wounds. He never hurt anyone and like mentioned above never barked.

Unfortuantely I had to get rid of him, because while we were on vacation a few years ago (Fenced in back yard neighbor was feeding and looking after etc.) This delinquent shot my dog 3 times with a BB gun(the damn kid was 16), the dog jumped the fence and chased him into his own yard. The kid then jumped on his dad's old work van and the dog simply sat at the base of the van for 2 hours until home owner, then law, then animal control and finally me arrived (around 4 hours by this time).

I called him by name and gave his drop command, he bounced over to me and licked me all over the face.

He was taken into animal control and was scheduled to be put to sleep for aggressive behavior. (Side note I live in a very small town and the director of animal control graduated high school with me, the dog was never put to sleep and now has a nice home in Maine currently 13) the kid was not even reprimanded despite me asking to file charges. 1 year later this then 17 year old put his little brothers eye out with the same BB gun, and was arrested this July for armed robbery and attempted murder...

Now this is only 1 story but you tell me, who would you rather have in your neighborhood? Dogs are as good or bad as they are trained, but like people they can "snap" and have emotioanl reactions. it juts so happens that bigger stronger dogs do more damage, my beagel gets pissy and bites my wife all the time (he is 17 and deaf) but cant do much damage.

when i was a kid a gordon retriever chewed on my head when i woke him up. i'd known him my whole life.
That's what is wrong with you! Hell, I though you just fell out of a chair and hit your head.....

:flipoff2: ...I had to Chuck.

There are more attacks and more injuries from pits because more Pitts are used for fighting dogs and for a status symbol... how many times do you ride through the ghetto and see a pit chained up with ships anchor chain in the middle of the front yard????? That’s why the stats are so high...
My future wife and I have a pit lab mix, and that dog is the best thing that has ever happened to us, a wonderful jeep dog and a wonderful family dog. We won’t leave him alone around any small children we may have, but honestly if you leave ANY "animal" alone with a small child you’re asking for trouble.
If labs, cocker spaniels or any other breed was the most used for fighting or status symbol this discussion would be about them.
I just hate it when people don’t look at all the facts, just take a small piece and run with it; it honestly shows ignorance and lack of ability to have a complete thought.
MODS: Move this over to the garage, and I will tell y'all what I really think...
My pit/lab mix is my buddy, friend, and protector; I won’t tolerate prejudice against him or anyone else in my family.

Exactly. Thank you.

thank you. i have a pit/boxer. i love her morethan anything i own. a # of people on here have seen and played with my dog and GETSTUCKSOME plays very ruf with her and she has never bit him. HATE THE OWNER NOT THE BREED.

Do I want that potentially dangerous dog in my room. Yes I do. How many times do YOU wake at night from a dead sleep b/c you hear someone or something on your property. My dog does all the time. 5 houses total immediately across the street from me and my neighbors all had there homes broken into or vehicles broken into while mine sat in the driveway unlocked with the keys in it untouched. My dog knows the sounds of vehicles that belongs at my house and my neighbors and if it hears something we as humans can't wether it be a vehicle or whatever he proceeds to the windows to look out. If something is not right he'll bark. If I'm sleeping and the sound bothers him bad enough he runs from my bedroom to the front door or back depending on where the noise is he heard barking until I get up then let him loose in the yard to investigate. Hearing him bark and the sound of a shotgun cocking at night has sent unwanted visitors scampering elsewhere twice in the 7 years I've had him. Even when we play rough and he begins to growl and bark he knows that as soon as his teeth touch me to back off and he immediately sits with his head and ears down waiting to see if he will be disciplined or not for which I don't since we were playing My 2 year old nephews both grab and pull his jaws and all he does it pull away from them and goes to lay elsewhere. It's not necesarrily the nature of the dog but the nature in how it's raised.

if i had the time and space for a full size dog i would have nothing except a pit. i know about 10 people or so who have pitbulls and they have all suceeded in raising the sweetest most gentle dogs i have ever had the joy of spending time with.

i only have pictures of a few of them... they looks pretty mean and viscious don't they?

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_pit1.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_pit3.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_neka.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_nekagoggle.jpg

check out neka's lil boy toy...

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_DSC00254_1.jpg

they both like BIG things

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_nekbent.jpg

Most of the households in my family including mine have Pitts as inside dogs. I hear this crap all the time. and for all of you F--kSTICKS claiming stats, go back and do more research, read some of the good not all the bad. And yes my dog sleeps with the kids.
And no I do not have a GHETTO dog we have PURPLE RIBBION dogs and if you really did research then you know what a Purple Ribbion Pitt is:fuck-you: :flipoff2:
:kaioken:

The 2 that just got adopted we had were awesome dogs and have changed my opinion of the breed completely and totally. It's funny for as "hated and despises" as the media makes these dogs out to be. I had 13 people call me in 1 day to adopt those dogs. I would say that when we get our house this summer I will look into getting a Pit or Boxer for our 2nd pooch.

The 2 that just got adopted we had were awesome dogs and have changed my opinion of the breed completely and totally. It's funny for as "hated and despises" as the media makes these dogs out to be. I had 13 people call me in 1 day to adopt those dogs. I would say that when we get our house this summer I will look into getting a Pit or Boxer for our 2nd pooch.

Awesome...its great what real experience with something can do. Man if you get a boxer be careful, mine is vicious.:D

Attachments

• me and josh 009.jpg
    me and josh 009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 250
Well while doing my job today, minding my buisness . I was attacked by an unprovoked pitbull mix ,tore my left calf up pretty good . Any dog can be mean ,but there are, or you hear of more attacks by pitbulls. my 2 cent :shaking:

Well while doing my job today, minding my buisness . I was attacked by an unprovoked pitbull mix ,tore my left calf up pretty good . Any dog can be mean ,but there are, or you hear of more attacks by pitbulls. my 2 cent :shaking:

This ought to be good... Lets elaborate a little.. whats your job???

Not that my .02$ counts for much, but I will agree that it has very much to do with the owner and how the dog is treated directly after it was born. But you have to understand that certain types of dogs have been bred over hundreds of years for certain purposes, such as hunting, protection, etc. Just like when some everyday person goes off the deepend, a dog ALWAYS has the tendency to react with its natural instincts that are in its genes. No matter how you treat a dog, there are always instincts and urges that it can react to, but oftentimes doesn't if it is in a loving environment. Taking in a dog that has been raised (to a certain extent) by people you don't know is always an "iffy" situation. If you have the right place to keep the dog and are able to keep it away from other people to allow a period to see how the dog acts, then it might be worth a shot for some people. I guess all I'm saying is that just because a dog has always been treated nice and is a sweet dog, doesn't definitively mean it can't just snap on someone.

I would have a pitbull or a similar dog, but if it ever tried to attack anyone would be the first time it gets the hell beat out of it, or shot if it really loses it.

telephone man There were 3 dogs @ the house a boxer ,a mut& this pitbull mix ,The pitbull mix is the one that jumped the fence & attacked me. None of the other dogs were aggressive ,they all had the same owner. my 2 cent

Not that my .02$ counts for much, but I will agree that it has very much to do with the owner and how the dog is treated directly after it was born. But you have to understand that certain types of dogs have been bred over hundreds of years for certain purposes, such as hunting, protection, etc. Just like when some everyday person goes off the deepend, a dog ALWAYS has the tendency to react with its natural instincts that are in its genes. No matter how you treat a dog, there are always instincts and urges that it can react to, but oftentimes doesn't if it is in a loving environment. Taking in a dog that has been raised (to a certain extent) by people you don't know is always an "iffy" situation. If you have the right place to keep the dog and are able to keep it away from other people to allow a period to see how the dog acts, then it might be worth a shot for some people. I guess all I'm saying is that just because a dog has always been treated nice and is a sweet dog, doesn't definitively mean it can't just snap on someone.

LOL LOL LOL LOL... Ignorance shows its ugly face again...

Do you know what pitts were bread for???? huh?? do ya??? Yeah i dont see any facts in that statement at all...

The were bread for PULLING...

The short bus will be by later to pick you up...

be sure to wear your helmet.

telephone man There were 3 dogs @ the house a boxer ,a mut& this pitbull mix ,The pitbull mix is the one that jumped the fence & attacked me. None of the other dogs were aggressive ,they all had the same owner. my 2 cent

Point taken.. Quick question....

Where did they get the pitt from??? how long have they had it??

Where did they get the other dogs from??? how long have they had them????

I was not out to write a book ,I was doing my job ,minding my buisness. Take it for what u want ,I will never own a pit anything Certain dogs have traits breed into them . ever heard of a beagle killing anybody.

Yeah, you're right. They have just been used to fight, among other things, since 1835.
Place Ban Status
Royal City, Washington[1] Active: 12 Jan, 2007
Denver, Colorado [2] Active: Banned on 9 May, 2005 (first banned in 1980's)
Ontario, Canada[3] Active: Banned on 15 October, 2004
Winnipeg, Canada[4] Active: Banned in 1990
Prince George's County, Maryland[5] Active: 1996
Shelbyville, California[6] Proposed: 18 November, 2006
New York City, NY[7] Proposed: 28 December 2006
Aurora, Colorado[8] Proposed: 27 September, 2005
Oklahoma [9] Proposed 21 June, 2005
Youngstown, Ohio[10] Proposed: 10 January, 1999
Richland, Washington[1] Proposed: 21 December, 2006
Tupelo, Mississippi[11] Proposed: 28 September, 2006
Parker, Colorado[12] Proposed: 17 January, 2006
Chicago, Illinois[13] Proposed: 17 November, 2005
Independence , Missouri [14] Proposed: 19 June, 2006
France[15] Active: April 30, 1999; Ownership restricted; non-pure-breed animals resembling pit-bulls are to be surgically neutered
United Kingdom[16] Active: 12 August, 1991 (Banned in public places, under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991)

Why would these locations want to ban a dog who merely pulls things on the farm?? I guess they must be ignorant too....
I think you've been riding in a Jeep too long, its wearing off on you :flipoff2:

So you made a comment without knowing all the facts. Makes perfect since to me....

And something else quite funny about your pointless comment..

A simple search on google about a beagle attack.. the first thing that comes up is a TV stars fear of a beagle because one tried to rip her face off when she was a child..... BTW read what type of dog she has now....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07052006/364/bilson-s-scared-hunting-dog-beagle-attack.html

Any thing else to add?

Yeah, you're right. They have just been used to fight, among other things, since 1835.
Place Ban Status
Royal City, Washington[1] Active: 12 Jan, 2007
Denver, Colorado [2] Active: Banned on 9 May, 2005 (first banned in 1980's)
Ontario, Canada[3] Active: Banned on 15 October, 2004
Winnipeg, Canada[4] Active: Banned in 1990
Prince George's County, Maryland[5] Active: 1996
Shelbyville, California[6] Proposed: 18 November, 2006
New York City, NY[7] Proposed: 28 December 2006
Aurora, Colorado[8] Proposed: 27 September, 2005
Oklahoma [9] Proposed 21 June, 2005
Youngstown, Ohio[10] Proposed: 10 January, 1999
Richland, Washington[1] Proposed: 21 December, 2006
Tupelo, Mississippi[11] Proposed: 28 September, 2006
Parker, Colorado[12] Proposed: 17 January, 2006
Chicago, Illinois[13] Proposed: 17 November, 2005
Independence , Missouri [14] Proposed: 19 June, 2006
France[15] Active: April 30, 1999; Ownership restricted; non-pure-breed animals resembling pit-bulls are to be surgically neutered
United Kingdom[16] Active: 12 August, 1991 (Banned in public places, under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991)
Why would these locations want to ban a dog who merely pulls things on the farm?? I guess they must be ignorant too....
I think you've been riding in a Jeep too long, its wearing off on you

Those issues are brought up by ignorant folks like some on here that don't know all the facts before coming down with a case of oral diarea...
I am usally a well mannered decent tempered person on this board, and this as really struck a nerve with me... I am sorry if i seem rude or callis but i am just tired of people not knowing what they are talking about.... Nothing personal....:flipoff2:

ban chows, dalmations, dobermen, rot's, chihuhauhauhas, poodles, greyhounds, boxers, bulldogs, every terrior in existance, and simese cats while we're at it then..... and stupid people.... let's ban them from life too....

"Pit bulls today still retain the predisposition toward dog aggression; however, a properly trained and socialized pit bull can be taught to manage this aggression."

I'm not pulling all this information out of my butt. It must be some gigantic coincidence.....:fuck-you:

I'm not saying that a pit bull raised properly is going to turn on anyone. But a lot of times these dogs have to be trained to be less aggressive. That's just the facts. A dog that has little to no agreessive genes is not going to be one of the top breeds with dog caused fatalities in the U.S. I don't see how you can argue a whole lot with factual information.

I couldn't care less if you've had great experiences with them in the past or not. I think they can be a great family pet, and I myself wouldn't be opposed to having one.

I'm about to go to bed though. If you want me to post up a STOP sign for you to argue with while I'm asleep I can.

:lol: I'm just kidding.

Back