PIT BULLS

chuckwhut

in regards to the recent pit bull post in the freebies section, andy i don't know you and that's why i bit my tounge at your comment. i'm sure you are a stand up guy. i urge you and anyone else interested in, afraid of, or owning pits to watch this short video.

mine is the best thing that ever happened to me.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1550988805

I held my "fingers" too, the APBT I saved is one of the sweetest dogs I ever had. Very gentle with little children, tries hard to be good, has learned alot in 3mo I've had him, but he is a terrier, just like a Jack Russell only bigger.

NOT THE BREED, THE OWNER

My first PB adopted me and totally won me over.
I will NEVER own another breed of dog.
There's too much good to say about them, there isn't enough space here to even try and start.
ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i19_AndersonsMischief_jr.jpg

I love my lab/pit mix that my girlfriend and I got from the Spartanburg Humane Society 3yrs ago this may. She is the best thing to happen to us and, she loves to ride in my jeep topless in the summer time drooling on everything.
That was a great video truely showing they are not all bad, its how you train them.

I love my ... girlfriend ... I got from ... Spartanburg ....3yrs ago this may. She is the best thing to happen to us and, she loves to ride in my jeep topless in the summer time....[I'M] drooling on everything.

FIXED IT FOR YA...

(Couldn't open the link....I'm blocked)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I probably should not have expressed mine on a free post......Sorry for that(hey, it got bumped back to the top!!!)

I understand that some people have these dogs and they never have a problem with them, I have just heard and seen to many bad things. Once again, I understand that any dog can bite, but statistical numbers show that they(pitbulls) are among the deadliest breeds of dogs.

I pulled some info from the following site. Once again, I know that all dogs are dangerous, but look at the numbers of fatal attacks.

http://dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
A report by Animal People found that, of 264 canine homicides from 1982 to 2006 in the USA and Canada, a total of 65% of the deaths were caused by pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes.

These studies establish that pit bulls and Rottweilers clearly are dangerous if judged by the damage that they inflict when they attack people.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

statistics.... :rolleyes:

Statistically speaking, I am more at risk of being killed by a motorist than by a dog. Heck ANY dog... even my own.

Statistics are good for getting an idea about something, but you need to look at all aspects of the statistics.

Statistically, I'm more likely to be killed or mammed by my Boxer than by a Pit Bull, Rotty, or Presa Canarios. Why? Cause that's what I own and I don't know of any Pits, Rottys or Presa that I associate with. How many Boxers are on your list? ;)

The Presa Canario is known to be a cross between the Olde English bulldogge, English Mastiff, and the fiery Bordino Majerro Cattle Dog. What is certain is that this dog, of sizeable body and head and extraordinary temperament, has always been used in the Canary Islands to guard farms and cattle.

credit - http://www.antoniospresacanario.com/history.html

(Couldn't open the link....I'm blocked)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I probably should not have expressed mine on a free post......Sorry for that(hey, it got bumped back to the top!!!)
I understand that some people have these dogs and they never have a problem with them, I have just heard and seen to many bad things. Once again, I understand that any dog can bite, but statistical numbers show that they(pitbulls) are among the deadliest breeds of dogs.
I pulled some info from the following site. Once again, I know that all dogs are dangerous, but look at the numbers of fatal attacks.
http://dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
A report by Animal People found that, of 264 canine homicides from 1982 to 2006 in the USA and Canada, a total of 65% of the deaths were caused by pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes.
These studies establish that pit bulls and Rottweilers clearly are dangerous if judged by the damage that they inflict when they attack people.
According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

i am not trying to start any sort of shit, but let just say (hypothetically of course) that if it was found (statistically) that certain races of people in america seem to be more prone to breaking the law or involved in crimes or fatalities, should we put those races to sleep?

I honestly think that the reason Pits got such a bad rap is because people started using them as Fight dogs due to there strong jaws, etc..

Speaking of dangerous breeds of dogs you and your children and subject to viscious attacks according to the dangerous dog list by golden retrievers also, but no one ever mentions that b/c of how cute fido or are molly are curled up next to your child on the floor as it pulls on the long hair of the dog. Bulldog breeds wether it be the boxer or the pitbull have been the best dogs I've had. It's ashame they get such a bad wrap. My current boxer is scary to most that don't know him b/c of his color for the simple fact everyones first question just happens to be is that a pitbull? It's ashame that such a great dog is looked down upon so much that in NC all anyone has to do is to feel threatened and they can shoot a pitbull on sight. It's also ashame that certain insurance companies find out you have a pitbull and they want to change your rates or potentially drop you.

Once again the difference is the strong jaw and the unstopable power of the dog. My lab will bite you if you start hitting it, but it will back off and that will be it. Pits, Rots and a few other breeds are known to continue to bite and tear at the flesh, or clamp down and not release.

As far as the insurance thing goes.......I am guessing that they are basing it on the losses that they(the insurance companies) have taken over a certain period of time. I'll bet they did not base it on how cute and cuddly other dogs are.

Statistical data is what your homeowner's insurance company uses to assign a risk number to that dog. I am willing to bet that if your dog bites or attacks a stranger, you will loose your policy and encounter difficulty in obtaining future coverage. If you are taken to court, in a civil trial, say goodby to much of what you cherrish for the rest of your life. That said, do you really want one of those potentially dangerous dogs? Got to ask yourself, do you really sleep well at night knowing that dog is sleeping in your childs bedroom? Not me bud because you do not really know the predictability of that animal but you may think you do which may be a tragedy.

Yes, if some breeds attack they are stronger and go into the red zone, stay in the red longer and do more damage. but I bet most deaths due to dog attacks are pack attacks not single dogs.

I think PitBull needs to make larger tires.

Statistical data is what your homeowner's insurance company uses to assign a risk number to that dog. I am willing to bet that if your dog bites or attacks a stranger, you will loose your policy and encounter difficulty in obtaining future coverage. If you are taken to court, in a civil trial, say goodby to much of what you cherrish for the rest of your life. That said, do you really want one of those potentially dangerous dogs? Got to ask yourself, do you really sleep well at night knowing that dog is sleeping in your childs bedroom? Not me bud because you do not really know the predictability of that animal but you may think you do which may be a tragedy.
Risk management.
The electrical wiring in your house most likely is not properly installed and can cause a fire, tonight on the way home from the store you are more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than killed by a dog attack. But you still sleep in the house and go to the store.
I had an Aussie and she bit a man in my yard, the man hit my Westie with a stick and Tater bit him one time and backed away between him and Mandy. She was protecting her pack and did just what she should. Aussie are prone to bite, that was the only time she bit. I watched my oldest girl when she was 8mo old, pull a double hand full of hair out and the dog did not make a sound only flinched. The owner make the dog not the breed. As soon as I get my APBT housebroken he will sleep with my girls, that way I know no one will hurt them in their sleep, even the police chief.

That said, do you really want one of those potentially dangerous dogs? Got to ask yourself, do you really sleep well at night knowing that dog is sleeping in your childs bedroom? Not me bud because you do not really know the predictability of that animal but you may think you do which may be a tragedy.

A well socialized pit that has been raised as a loyal pet by a good dog owner that understands bully breeds is exactly what I want sleeping in my childs (if I have children) bedroom because I know if anything tried to harm that child when I wasnt there that dog would fight to its death to protect my love one. Side note: I dont own a pit currently but I have spent alot of time around them. Presently I have a Boxer which grew up a long side my neighbors pit which was the same age. Clifton's data referenced earlier showed Boxers to make up for more attacks reported than 90% of the breeds listed and I wouldnt fear for any child to be around him whether he knew them or not. If you notice German Sheps are on there with 69 attack which is 4th or 5th most and I never hear bad media about them. Also more recent studies show pit bull data in general is skewed due to the fact that pit bull is really a generalization for many breeds of dogs. When people are attacked the media often refers the dog as a pit bull when often it is found to be a Am Staff, or an American Bull Dog, or even a boxer. The AKC doesnt even recognize pit bull as a breed though an Am Staff is. Only in the last 25 years has the American Pit began to really be a structured breed with breeding standards. Sorry for the rant.

CJ2YJ2TJ said:
...around him whether he knew them or not. If you notice German Sheps are on there with 69 attack which is 4th or 5th most and I never hear bad media about them. .

Pit Bulls 1110 attacks
German Shephards 69 attacks

That's why they don't make a big deal about German Shephards. In fact, that's the whole point that jumps out, the top few breeds account for almost all the problems.

I don't see how anyone can view this page

http://dogbitelaw.com/Dog Attacks 1982 to 2006 Clifton.pdf

and come away saying pitbulls are unjustly maligned.

Profiling works on humans, it works on dogs.

Back