NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Somebody hit a ~95# deer last week and the car didn't tear it up. Quick call to my dad and 2 hours later (fast food) it was quartered & in the cooler. Tonight I butterflied & seasoned the back-straps, stuffed with cream cheese/chives/carrots/bacon bits & wrapped in bacon...made for some good eating!
20200202_191015.jpg

I'm fed up with the taxidermist I took my bobcat to! Rambling vent below...
Shot it end of Nov '18, dropped it off around April '19 and was told he'd have it done by deer season (Sept '19) so he could then focus on the incoming big game. Left him alone until first of September and was told 'got a new job, give me until end of Oct'. Called him again end of Oct/first of Nov and he did not call me back. Started calling him every other week until he finally picked up over Thanksgiving and I was told 'been busy, I'll have it done end of next month'. Not happy, but can't do anything besides wait. Started calling end of Dec/first of Jan and cannot get in touch with him so I've upped to calling him every week and alternating if I leave a voicemail or not. I get that plans and schedules change, but I can't get over no contact...much longer and I'm going to start calling from another number to see if mine is being screened/blocked.

Shot it end of Nov '18, dropped it off around April '19 and was told he'd have it done by deer season (Sept '19) so he could then focus on the incoming big game. Left him alone until first of September and was told 'got a new job, give me until end of Oct'. Called him again end of Oct/first of Nov and he did not call me back. Started calling him every other week until he finally picked up over Thanksgiving and I was told 'been busy, I'll have it done end of next month'. Not happy, but can't do anything besides wait. Started calling end of Dec/first of Jan and cannot get in touch with him so I've upped to calling him every week and alternating if I leave a voicemail or not. I get that plans and schedules change, but I can't get over no contact...much longer and I'm going to start calling from another number to see if mine is being screened/blocked.
Use a pay phone next time you call.

Forget that I’d be showing up at his house asking for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1bd64f1ea7cd4cf3450fc72beeac8694.jpg

Shad in old Sparta

Use a pay phone next time you call.
Not a bad idea...I've got 5 family members willing to let me use their phone, but I don't want to take it that level just yet.

Forget that I’d be showing up at his house asking for it
Supposedly he moved, but I looked him up on GIS last night and he's still in the same house...may have to drop in next time I'm in the area!

UPDATE:
Finally heard back from this guy tonight...it's only been 2-3 damn months! He told me "he's been busy & in the process of moving" as well as had some family issues, but got all my messages tonight (I call BS). He's hoping to be in his new place in a couple of weeks, my bobcat is already tanned & I should have it in the first of May. So I've set a reminder to call him on May 1st & planning on being around that weekend. Since that'll be 8 months after he originally told me it'd be ready, I plan on asking for a discount, but I'm not expecting one.

Started opening day of turkey on game lands at 5:30am today. I watched a lone Tom feed at 20-25yds for over 15mins the night before not 40yds off the hwy. Waiting to hear him gobble before we charged in the woods, we had a douchebag pull up behind us at 6:45am. Slam his truck door, walk up and ask us which way we were going. WTF!!! It’s a one way ridge. Words were exchanged and we went separate ways. Blew my mind, but hey, we were on game lands right?!?! :shaking: Walked out the ridge a half mile and all was quiet. Headed to some nearby private land I had access to and wound up in a ravine surrounded by turkeys. This guy came down the hill and walked out strutting on a tree growing horizontal out of the hillside about 10’ off the ground and 20yds from me. The way the sun was coming through the trees and hitting this bird just before the shot was down right beautiful! 9:50am
B15B891E-8955-4514-BF0A-FC3C5CC0EE4B.jpeg

Glad your day went well. I roosted 14 jakes and at least 3 big toms. Got setup at the top of the pine ridge above them. 6:20 they ALL let loose. I had to have been within 40-50 yards of several birds. And damn it if not one bird wanted to come to the top of the ridge they all flew down hit the corn field and flew the river before I could get set back up

Got a hen that has become a daily visitor in our back field. She only runs away when my lab sees her and starts barking ha. She had another hen with her Sunday afternoon but so far no boyfriends :(
20200412_124216.jpg

Got a hen that has become a daily visitor in our back field. She only runs away when my lab sees her and starts barking ha. She had another hen with her Sunday afternoon but so far no boyfriends :(View attachment 316053

I bet if you walk over to where she was and look real good she already been visited by her boyfriend

I bet if you walk over to where she was and look real good she already been visited by her boyfriend

Where do they normally nest at? I hope not in the edge of the field. They're going to.be planting beans in her dust bowl in a few weeks.

Where do they normally nest at? I hope not in the edge of the field. They're going to.be planting beans in her dust bowl in a few weeks.
it could be a dusting spot but the picture you posted makes it look like she is sitting on a nest. and they will nest damn near anywhere on the ground. ive got a spot when a hen usually has a nest in the middle of a field that is in a cover crop talked to the farmer and he said hes changed his corn planting to let her nest. (he likes to turkey hunt to).

it could be a dusting spot but the picture you posted makes it look like she is sitting on a nest. and they will nest damn near anywhere on the ground. ive got a spot when a hen usually has a nest in the middle of a field that is in a cover crop talked to the farmer and he said hes changed his corn planting to let her nest. (he likes to turkey hunt to).

I don't think that's her nest. She only hangs out there every once in a while. Normally she's just out pecking around in the field. She was actively dusting before I took the pic. The picture doesnt show much, she was 250yds away and that pic was with my cell phone, through 10x binoculars :lol:

Ya'll ever found a Turkeys nest by accidentally flushing the hen off it, or got too close to the chicks? I have more than a few times while I was surveying.They all feighned injury like a killdeer.Dragging a wing, stumbling,swinging and flopping their heads around,jumping around like they're gonna fly and running circles around me.They also cluck and half gobble the whole time as they beg the threat to follow them away from the nest or the the group of tiny poults .It's an amazing thing to see.

Guy I traded my 45' high cube conex started clearing at my deer plot.
20200414_114320.jpg 20200414_114337.jpg

Should take it from a half acre narrow clearing to 2.5-3 acres. Going to leave the bigger trees, but make enough room to get an ag drill through.

UPDATE:
Finally heard back from this guy tonight...it's only been 2-3 damn months! He told me "he's been busy & in the process of moving" as well as had some family issues, but got all my messages tonight (I call BS). He's hoping to be in his new place in a couple of weeks, my bobcat is already tanned & I should have it in the first of May. So I've set a reminder to call him on May 1st & planning on being around that weekend. Since that'll be 8 months after he originally told me it'd be ready, I plan on asking for a discount, but I'm not expecting one.

Called & texted last week and finally got a text back Friday morning that it is still not done, but 'Hopefully not much longer' & 'He will call me as soon as he gets it finished'. Can't say I'm surprised!:kaioken:

I've been debating on security cameras for a while now and Blink just had a 25% off sale so I bought a kit. Had an extra camera and it reaches ~150' from my house to my feeder & natural spring so I put it on a tree to go all high-tech redneck! Now I've got a game camera with video that alerts me within a few seconds of movement....won't even have to leave the house during deer season any more!

Back