If you are considered "Essential" ....

Firefighter and builder.... told my building boss to keep his family, kids and grandkids safe I’d take off till this calms down... actually enjoying the time off... right now at the fire department is crazy enough

Outside Sales Rep, for commercial construction products. Deemed essential but at the order of my company, and my own choice, I am locked down at home. I can't go to my own office, or visit any of my customers. So far so good, I have 5 years worth of relationships built up so I am actually staying very busy. I am worried however, if this continues for weeks on end I don't know what will happen. They have cut back hours for both office and warehouse employees. I figure I won't get a mileage check for now, but I worry they will pull my base salary and only pay commission. I would understand why, but it would suck.

Public Power as a Power Delivery Engineer.
Coordinate with DEP, DEC & VEPCO on ~150 delivery points to ~100 municipalities across NC, SC & VA.
Comms/field work on 25 large solar sites and ~400MW of gen/VR/load shed controls in Eastern NC and ~150MW of in Western NC...we've been told not to install any new equipment for now.
Kicker for me this week is the first of the month is billing so I'm waiting for any comm failures to our ~750 commercial and industrial meters...headed out the door now to repair 3 sites.

I work as a erection supervisor and field PM for a steel company, and as a firefighter. Both are considered essential. So we are still running calls and Im still on the road, mostly in Charlotte/Charleston. We have been told to keep our field time to a minimum and to work from home as much as possible. So instead of being on the road for 4 days, Im on the road maybe 2 and home 3. However, we arent running medical calls unless the medic unit requests us.

Manufacturing facility that produces life safety and HVAC products for the construction industry. ( schools, hospitals, office buildings, ect)

Chemical additive sales in forest products industry. Customers aren't allowing outside visitors/vendors into the mills. I can't go to my own plant unless there's a serious problem that needs addressing. I'm home based anyway, but not used to BEING home all the time.

Quoted for posterity...because I still find middle school humor hilarious

Oh trust me, I still chuckle every time I have to introduce myself with that title. Ive got erection drawings, spreadsheets on erection, pictures of our crews working on erection, the list goes on lol.

To my knowledge....I'm not essential so all I've got is this......:D

15876078eedbaf5d32cbd6b12ffb4267b4e2f396.jpg

Last edited:
Technical program manager for a large IT, PC and storage company. I have worked from home for over 5 years already so it's just business as usual for me.

Maintenance for a company who makes Garage doors. Roll forming, stamping, embossing, shearing, all the way to carpentry.

I work a split between 1st and 3rd production. Help coordinate 3rd as a lead. Up until recent for the virus I worked with every single shift personel including weekend production. I get exposed to everybody.

I work for a plastics company that does automotive plugs and harnesses. Well, we do all types of them, but i'm affiliated with the automotive side. I have a title of Manufacturing Technician, but I'm a CNC Programmer, Machinist, and Tool maker.

Work weekends as supervisor of operations for Sherwin Williams at one of our 2 Greensboro plants. We are deemed essential and are working mandatory overtime. Covid-19 has caused a lot of changes for me at work. I've had to learn no less then 12 new policies in the last 2 weeks from it. I am in charge of the entire facility on the weekends and every other employee wants me to answer questions about a policy that the ink just dried on.

During the week I do commercial construction for my BIL. We are deemed essential and are wide open.

I'm leaning against my toolbox as I type this, hyping myself up to put a flexplate in a Chevy 3500 bucket truck for the phone company lol
Mechanic myself, and I'd rather have a dose of the clap than putting a flex plate in a bucket truck. Thank you, As I'm putting a clutch assembly on a supercharger I'm thankful I'm not you.

According to my employer I am both essential and nonessential, depending on the day. We manufacture fiber optic cable and components. I have been working from home for the past 2 weeks. The manufacturing operation is considered essential since we make product for .gov. Whenever they need me to come into the plant, I am all of a sudden essential.

I work in Model Risk governance at a big bank and am able to work from home. Spreadsheet jockey, merely a necessary cog keeping the machine rolling. Very busy with the current environment affecting model performance. I'm the senior member on my team so hopefully if they get to where they need to cut folks, I won't be the first to take a break.

My wife is a selections coordinator/"do it all" for a custom home builder in Charlotte and is able to work from home for now, and probably for as long as the company can continue to work.

Back