Fall GTG?

Campsites at the Gulches are pretty small and spread out. Last time we camped there, the site(site 7) was big enough for 1 maybe 2 tents. All the campsites are off the trails so no RV's/campers etc could access them.

Campsites at the Gulches are pretty small and spread out. Last time we camped there, the site(site 7) was big enough for 1 maybe 2 tents. All the campsites are off the trails so no RV's/campers etc could access them.
You are correct. There are individual dedicated camp sites down in the park off the trails. But they also allow camping in the parking lot. The parking lot would be a decent area for lots of folks to camp and hangout. Those looking for a more in-the-woods camping experience could certainly reserve a campsite.

Didn't realize you could camp in the parking lot. That makes it a lot easier.

Just need a date now...

why not camp there?

No facilities and I'm old and like my hot showers and flush toilets.

You are correct. There are individual dedicated camp sites down in the park off the trails. But they also allow camping in the parking lot. The parking lot would be a decent area for lots of folks to camp and hangout. Those looking for a more in-the-woods camping experience could certainly reserve a campsite.

Yea and in rain they can and will flood....

Didn't realize you could camp in the parking lot. That makes it a lot easier.

Just need a date now...
Yes plenty of people camp in their RV's in the parking lot. New owners are working on upgrades. I think they are either working on or have installed some rv site type hook ups.

I've always tent camped at the Gulches, both at the camp sites and in the parking lot. Yeah, rain will have a significant impact on the park. But regardless of venue, if it rains I suspect a lot in this group would either stay home or come to hang out for a bit then head back (myself included).

Sure, hot showers and flushing toilets are nice. Definitely won't get that here unless you BYO. But if that's a requirement, maybe this get together should take place at a hotel, convention center, or other non-off-road venue. The other option is another off-road park with those kinds of amenities.

Uwharrie is attractive due to its centralized location, camping space, and the proximity to trails. Didn't sound ideal based on group camp site availability, and there were complaints about the bath houses earlier in this thread. The Ranch has the camping space, availability, amenities, and trails, but when mentioned before, has been met with opposition due to distance, which is certainly understandable.

We can always come up with reasons why a place or time isn't 100% perfect, but if this is going to happen, some level of compromise has to be made. Just my $0.02.

Last time I camped there I used the bathroom and my son used the shower in the old house. Wasn’t the best thing in the world but I’ve used a lot worse.

What ever happened to the Farm in Iron Station? Or DPG? Those venues up for rent for a 1 time event?

I've always tent camped at the Gulches, both at the camp sites and in the parking lot. Yeah, rain will have a significant impact on the park. But regardless of venue, if it rains I suspect a lot in this group would either stay home or come to hang out for a bit then head back (myself included).

Sure, hot showers and flushing toilets are nice. Definitely won't get that here unless you BYO. But if that's a requirement, maybe this get together should take place at a hotel, convention center, or other non-off-road venue. The other option is another off-road park with those kinds of amenities.

Uwharrie is attractive due to its centralized location, camping space, and the proximity to trails. Didn't sound ideal based on group camp site availability, and there were complaints about the bath houses earlier in this thread. The Ranch has the camping space, availability, amenities, and trails, but when mentioned before, has been met with opposition due to distance, which is certainly understandable.

We can always come up with reasons why a place or time isn't 100% perfect, but if this is going to happen, some level of compromise has to be made. Just my $0.02.
Not a requirement just what I prefer as I get older. I plan to hit up URE before they close for the winter. I'd like to see this continue there. Like you said it's central to NC and has lots of options. With the amount that actually showed up last year I don't see where the whole group camp is needed. I only camped Friday night because of the cold.

I’m in as long as I can make it. I’ll plan on camping this year and will throw some cash in for a site. Even camping in art lilley at ure wouldn’t be bad for a group.

I'd say that first weekend of December and get all 3 group camp sites:
View attachment 403093

But I'd take cold camping over hot any day, and I know some of you guys aren't that tough. (Coming from the guy who left before it got too cold last year)
I still like this idea. I’m all for camping in the cold. I personally think we need all 3 group sights just for parking.

What ever happened to the Farm in Iron Station? Or DPG? Those venues up for rent for a 1 time event?
DPG has been at lest partially chopped up and sold. I drove by there a few months abck and there was a house pad where the giant field jump used to be and another house to the right of the old drive/entrance

DPG has been at lest partially chopped up and sold. I drove by there a few months abck and there was a house pad where the giant field jump used to be and another house to the right of the old drive/entrance
Yea, I’m 10 mins from there. That area is developing with a bunch of new houses with access to 64. Knew it wouldn’t take long. Probably couldn’t go anyways, always seemed like some type of issue with whoever owned or ran it.

Y’all is like a bunch of women trying to decide where to eat. I just booked all 3 Uwharrie Group Camp sites for December 1-3, Friday through Sunday. I’ll start a new thread to keep it clean.

New thread:

Back