Do you wear a mask when you go out to crowded public places?

Do you wear a mask when you go out to 'crowded' public places?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
Here is my question, and this is strictly just to understand and not to pass judgment on anyone. But other than having a medical condition that doesn't allow you to wear a mask or wear a mask for an extended period of time, why do folks have such an issue with wearing a mask?

I get that a lot of people feel that it infringes on your rights and you shouldn't be told what to do and what not to do and I totally get that, but if wearing a mask when you are out in public will hopefully get us to a point where we can return back to "normal", then what's the big deal? I mean, I hate wearing them. I have to wear one at work all day and it sucks, but how can I complain about the numbers steadily rising if I am not doing my part to help curb it?

Yeah, it's a meme saying...but it's truth in advertising. Wearing these kinds of masks, this late in the process is like wearing a condom to the baby shower. You ever seen someone garbed up who handles viruses all day, every day...these masks aren't doing shit except for keeping people from sneezing on me, which they weren't doing in the first place.

Because masks don't do squat. The virus particles will pass thru (both ways) 99% of the masks out there. The only one that protects you is an N95 and that won't do anything to help others.

Yes, all of them will for the most part stop droplets but still doesn't stop the transmission of the virus.

Walmart allows anything as long as you cover your face. Walmart issued the employee's cloth masks but almost no one wears them correctly, therefore defeating the idea that they protect others. If the premises of a mask is to protect others, make everyone wear them properly. However, I want to see proof, not SWAG's. I'm not on this earth to make snowflakes feel good.

It's all hugely political. The CDC doesn't know. They say masks won't help, then they say masks do help. They don't really know and then you see that hypocrite Fausi goes out and takes his mask off next to others.
I gotta think that they do something. My wife has UC and is currently on a steroid that has suppressed her immune system even more and I just can't in good faith walk around in public places and not wear one and not feel like "what if?"

I do wear one when I go out though now.
I went and bought and old fashioned red bandana and I wear it outlaw style hanging down into a point.
It makes me chuckle.

Sunday I went into TSC and there was another dude in there wearing the same thing but in blue.
Our eyes smiled at each other...both thinking of a witty reply.
Before we could speak the TSC worker said ...hey now no blood and crip shit up in here ok?

I gotta think that they do something. My wife has UC and is currently on a steroid that has suppressed her immune system even more and I just can't in good faith walk around in public places and not wear one and not feel like "what if?"

You got to do what you believe. Scientific fact says all the masks that you see do is keep some droplets contained when someone sneezes into the mask. The normal virus particle will pass right through the masks you see out there except an N95 mask and those won't help anyone except the wearer as the N95 is a direct exhaust mask.

I don't think the masks completely block the virus, but I would be a fool to say that putting a physical barrier on everyone's face does not reduce quantity of particles transmitted and distance traveled. Heck, even a mesh stocking has SOME effect. I am completely against the government overreaching their legal duties, and leveraging more control into their coffers, be it local, state, or federal. I will wear a mask in some situations as a courtesy, but I will not judge people who don't, because my health is not their responsibility. If I'm worried about catching this virus so badly, then I can do or order pretty much everything I need from the comfort of my house on this here cell phone.

I don't think the masks completely block the virus, but I would be a fool to say that putting a physical barrier on everyone's face does not reduce quantity of particles transmitted and distance traveled. Heck, even a mesh stocking has SOME effect. I am completely against the government overreaching their legal duties, and leveraging more control into their coffers, be it local, state, or federal. I will wear a mask in some situations as a courtesy, but I will not judge people who don't, because my health is not their responsibility. If I'm worried about catching this virus so badly, then I can do or order pretty much everything I need from the comfort of my house on this here cell phone.
What about people who defiantly refuse to wear a mask and make sure everyone around them is aware of their "choice"....I support their right but still think they are twat-waffles.

Because masks don't do squat. The virus particles will pass thru (both ways) 99% of the masks out there. The only one that protects you is an N95 and that won't do anything to help others.

Yes, all of them will for the most part stop droplets but still doesn't stop the transmission of the virus.
And yet there's a whole lot of science disagreeing with you...

If the virus is droplet transmitted, and the masks limit droplet passage, then how does that not limit transmission of the virus?
I feel like we've been through this already.

the N95 is a direct exhaust mask.
I have a bunch of 3M N95 masks that do not have open exhaust vents. I bought a box of them a year or so ago, so they're somewhat unlikely to be Chinese counterfeits.

The epideomiological data is pretty clear - areas where mask wearing is prevelant have lower ratesof breakout. The degree to which it "work" on any one individual level is always debateable and never perfect, but en masse it matters.

Examples:
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818
(PDF) Association of country-wide coronavirus mortality with demographics, testing, lockdowns, and public wearing of masks (Update June 15, 2020).
(I like thsi one b/c they show that widespread mask wearing would be more effective than a shutdown)
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2004.13553.pdf

Last edited:
What about pants?

How come nobody is jumping up and down about anti-nudity laws and running around pantsless what it's so damn hot? Why isn't that a major infringeent on your rights and being told what to do?

Not if its true.
Then its just statistics.

Lived in Greenville for 24 years of my life, never once have I rubbed it in people’s faces how bad this team has sucked the last few years, lol.

My five year old spells better than you.
I thought we were spellig wrong on porpoise?
Wasn't that the game?
Otherwise you would have typed cellaphane

should have went with yore*
explaining the punchline ruins the joke

yur new here ain'tcha
I'll take why your powa stroke sux and Cummings Ruiz for 100 Alec.
Orrrrrr.
Hi I'm John and I fawk shit up
Orrrrrr
Lets save ure I mean ure closed a trail I mean let's save the trail whale

You tards are tards

Back