Do you wear a mask when you go out to crowded public places?

Do you wear a mask when you go out to 'crowded' public places?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
Because

Why do you think no one trusts anyone anymore?

(of course the answer is... optics)

Bingo

I don't concern myself with being passionate about the mask (either on nor being made to wear it) It's not the hill I want to die on.

I AM fascinated by how the powers that be volley on it and how they contradict, and sometimes are complete hypocrites about it (see Roy Cooper arm in arm at BLM marches with no mask)

everybody, including and especially the scientists, knows the mask is pointless unless there is somebody near you or you are talking loudly, e.g. into podium microphone in front of people.

Exactly. If you are doing anything physical, masks do make it harder to breathe or get enough oxygen. If I'm not around anyone in the store or I'm doing anything that it makes me feel hot and short of breath, I'm taking it off. I wear it when I'm close to other people or talking to them.

(of course the answer is... optics)

aka Virtue Signaling

31sa7mnzkf851.jpg

Short answer: yep.....

Gov. Wolf: Sec. of Health Signs Expanded Mask-Wearing Order

Our head douche in charge here made it mandatory again yesterday whenever leaving the home. Most/all stores were still required inside, but now the dummy says we all have to when we leave our homes. Beats the shats out of me if anyone will actually enforce it, but then again. I don't get out much these days.

I get a real kick out of people saying they have a lack of oxygen when wearing a mask. My work is dusty by nature, we used n95 masks before they were cool. I can't begin to count how many grain bin's I have shoveled out in the dead of summer wearing an n95 mask. We normally change mask's when they are sweated completely through and caked with a nice layer of corn dust/sweat paste. Now THAT is when they are difficult to breathe through! Never have i once felt like in was short of oxygen or anything stupid like that.

Go in to the local ABC store today. They have a sign on the door, I ignore it. Nothing said, like usual. Lady walks in behind me and says to the guy behind the counter (also on the county’s ABC board)...’do I really have to have a mask on?’ The response is ‘no, we just have to put that up’.

Most of us out in the general population aren't pregnant. Pregnant women shouldn't wear n95 masks, got it. For the sake of this argument, lets say that N95's are the tightest there are. Surgical or thin cloth masks let in substantially more air than a properly worn n95. When my son was in icu, everyone in his room had to wear surgical masks and gowns. The first week and a half he had a nurse with him 24/7. Several of them were pregnant. Fast forward one year later, all of them have had their babies and non of them seem to have had any oxygen deficit side effects. The little surgical masks aren't filtering the air like an n95, they just catch spit. You are "breathing" around the mask.

https://aricjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13756-015-0086-z

Yep.
Their results specifically did not find a decrease in internal oxygenation from the mask. Only that you breathe in less per breath, and thus tend to breath harder and have a slightly elevated mateboltic rate.
Its pretty well established that normal breathing has a pretty wide window of how much O2 you actually pull in vs need, and most if the time us just wastfull in that regard. Hence a big part of athletic training is learning to breath more efficiently.

For the lazy, from their conclusions:
"While there is a substantial negative change in TV, VE and the VO2 and VCO2 exchanged, there was no impact of breathing through N95 mask materials, to finger-tip oxygen saturation, maternal or fetal heart rate and no drive to increase BF in pregnancy compared to breathing ambient air at the level of exercise in our study. This study shows important descriptive findings of changes to respiratory physiology with mask use, which do not appear to have sufficient significant clinical impact based on the parameters monitored, that had been deliberately kept within the normal ranges to ensure safety of the subjects."

Most of us out in the general population aren't pregnant. Pregnant women shouldn't wear n95 masks, got it. For the sake of this argument, lets say that N95's are the tightest there are. Surgical or thin cloth masks let in substantially more air than a properly worn n95. When my son was in icu, everyone in his room had to wear surgical masks and gowns. The first week and a half he had a nurse with him 24/7. Several of them were pregnant. Fast forward one year later, all of them have had their babies and non of them seem to have had any oxygen deficit side effects. The little surgical masks aren't filtering the air like an n95, they just catch spit. You are "breathing" around the mask.
If you read the article... it doesn't even matter if you ARE pregnant. The mask has no real clinical effect.

If anything its BETTER for you bc it makes you breathe more efficiently.

My point was that discounting as "stupid" anyone's complaint about wearing one is a gross generalization. No one speaks for the general population because you're just one person and anecdotes gonna anecdote.

The Reality of Wearing Masks | City Journal

I was over in the corner at REI the other day rolling out sleeping pads and comparing them because they've taken away all the displays and I took the effing mask off because it was in my way and I was getting hot and I was also on the phone discussing the pads with @shawn. It wasn't 'stupid' to be bothered by it and I wasn't bothering anyone to let it hang from my ear until I hung up the phone and/or 'Morgan' came back over to see if I'd figured anything out. I also don't see any issue with me not wearing one as I leave the pool and walk past no one to my car.

I was over in the corner at REI the other day rolling out sleeping pads and comparing them because they've taken away all the displays and I took the effing mask off because it was in my way and I was getting hot and I was also on the phone discussing the pads with @shawn. It wasn't 'stupid' to be bothered by it and I wasn't bothering anyone to let it hang from my ear until I hung up the phone and/or 'Morgan' came back over to see if I'd figured anything out. I also don't see any issue with me not wearing one as I leave the pool and walk past no one to my car.
This. Common sense. Use it.

My point was that discounting as "stupid" anyone's complaint about wearing one is a gross generalization. No one speaks for the general population because you're just one person and anecdotes gonna anecdote.

The Reality of Wearing Masks | City Journal

I think we are more on the same page than it may seem. I am not of the mindset that someone should wear a mask every waking hour or anything like that. I also agree that they are uncomfortable and that breathing in them is annoying. I was just saying that the "lack of oxygen" argument because of the mask is silly.

I think we are more on the same page than it may seem. I am not of the mindset that someone should wear a mask every waking hour or anything like that. I also agree that they are uncomfortable and that breathing in them is annoying. I was just saying that the "lack of oxygen" argument because of the mask is silly.
... and scientifically invalid.

I also agree that they are uncomfortable and that breathing in them is annoying. I was just saying that the "lack of oxygen" argument because of the mask is silly.

Totally off topic...but all this ‘difficulty breathing’ gave me a flashback to college for our post-workout workouts. We had this mouth piece looking thing with various tubes and valves sticking out of it. The intent was to Restrict air flow pretty heavily to teach us how to control our breathing and strengthen our lungs. It really felt like it should be banned for torture, and it wasn’t uncommon to see guys fall out.

As long as we can agree the people wearing them for moral grandstanding are also silly.

:lol:

Like the people driving their car, alone, with the windows up, with a mask on, LOL.

If anyone is going to get it it'll be me now. Eldorado outpost was slammed today. Few masks and shoulder to shoulder. Didn't bring a trail rig this time, camping and boating with sis and bil and family.

If anyone is going to get it it'll be me now. Eldorado outpost was slammed today. Few masks and shoulder to shoulder. Didn't bring a trail rig this time, camping and boating with sis and bil and family.

We rode uwharrie the first weekend it was open. Stopped at the outpost to get a pass, wore my mask in as I normally do anywhere.

I am pretty sure bigfoot can walk in that place to buy a pack of smokes without getting as many looks as I did.....

Exactly. If you are doing anything physical, masks do make it harder to breathe or get enough oxygen. If I'm not around anyone in the store or I'm doing anything that it makes me feel hot and short of breath, I'm taking it off. I wear it when I'm close to other people or talking to them.

aka Virtue Signaling
Same. I've heard people use doctors and nurses as a comparison, saying "they wear them all day with no problem".

Yeah, okay...but it's just a couple degrees below frostbite in a hospital. They aren't in the sun, sweating their asses off.

I wear them inside. Take it off when I hit the outdoors. Ain't gonna wear one outside, at all, ever. Okay, maybe the Fair, if they require it, but that's it.

I've worn an N95 mask sanding and grinding....they aren't too bad...I found them not as bad in the hot as these flimsy masks are, honestly, but then again I'm wearing them for a real, measurable purpose, too. You can immediately see the results if you don't wear one when doing such things.

On the other hand, went to the mall the other day.....smelled perfume, cookies, food, etc with no problem, while wearing my mask. Makes you wonder just how much good it is. Yeah, it'll stop "droplets of spray" if I cough or sneeze....but who really does that? If you're social distancing, that shouldn't be an issue even if you get near some mongoloid that doesn't cover their mouth. Not like sneeze droplets just float into the air and travel all around...they pretty much go a few feet and hit the floor.

@trailhugger .... I'm going to eat some crow. I hope you are ready and enjoy it. Prior to having my rona probing yesterday, the nurse slapped a pulse/o2 meter on my finger to get my stats. She looks at it then looks up at me an says, "your o2 sat is a little low". Being super smart like I am I said that "it's probably just not getting a good read" whilst moving it around on my finger. She looked at it a second then said, "pull your mask down". I did.... and my fawking o2 sat went up. I about threw that meter across the floor. You were the first thing that came to mind. Sunofabitch

That's interesting! I'm glad you don't have Rona!

@trailhugger .... I'm going to eat some crow. I hope you are ready and enjoy it. Prior to having my rona probing yesterday, the nurse slapped a pulse/o2 meter on my finger to get my stats. She looks at it then looks up at me an says, "your o2 sat is a little low". Being super smart like I am I said that "it's probably just not getting a good read" whilst moving it around on my finger. She looked at it a second then said, "pull your mask down". I did.... and my fawking o2 sat went up. I about threw that meter across the floor. You were the first thing that came to mind. Sunofabitch
Im curious how much time there was between when you took it off and the reading change?
Its should take awhile to filter down to come up on a finger o2 reading.

So i was headed to get some non-ethanol gas for the lawn mower, and decided to stop by the abc store on the way back. of course i didn't have a mask in my truck, there were maybe 2 other customers in the store. one at register and one at far end of store. as soon as i walked in i was told to leave and refused service, also there was a sign on the door that said 3 minutes max time in the store, i only saw one employee .I Should have just lifted my shirt up over my nose. Funny how you can wear them around your chin and its ok. This whole mandate is a joke. The day prior, at the auto parts store the employees didn't even have any masks on and last time in the docs office, the front staff had them hanging off their ear.

Back