D-6

My long time friend, Big Tommy, who runs C&S Machine works in Mocksville, NC told me that if I want to design this knuckle, I will have to draw the machined edge .0005 to .001 smaller than the bearing races I want put in it to press them in.

It looks like if I embark on machining this knuckle, the Spidertrax unit bearing is gonna be thrown out the window, and I will have to start from scratch with either an existing stub shaft or a custom one.

So I guess now the question I'm gonna have to work through is how am I going to make it a full float design.

View attachment 329119
View attachment 329120
If anything I can say that is directly related to real world that you have dropped in this thread: Tommy and his shop are machining bad asses.
My son does a lot of manual work for another local shop. Tommy often sends them stuff. More or less to basic or not enough profit margin stuff.

Personally I’d design your a arms to work with the portals as well as a “standard” knuckle. If that’s new to the racing world your not gonna wanna be the rest dummy. That’s a lot more moving parts and weight to deal with.

And unless you do something on the rear the rear can still Hangup assuming you’re going to run a solid rear axle.

Just because it’s being tried out doesn’t make it a winner.

To me they would be a step backwards from your “simple” race buggy with redundancy built into everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get this thread renamed to "joke of the day" or merge the two?

Can we get this thread renamed to "joke of the day" or merge the two?

Don't be a dick.

Anyways I've designed a lunar lander and figured it all out just need to button up a few things on the guidance system, calling up Bill Simpson at nasa tomorrow-- I met him once, gonna tell them they need to figure out how to get the damn thing into lunar orbit before I decide to do it all myself.

zlmmewc.jpg

Guaranteed..... This is just another one of those wild ideas I'm going to have until RCV signs off on it, and wraps a fat ass chain around that big Bell. Man..... Do some work on the spline end. Maybe get rid of the splines and make that thing roll on a bearing while holding it in position.

Make the big Bell turn that lower bearing on the portal. I mean what do I need to do RCV? Call you and tell you all my ideas and let you pass it off for 4 years till you figure out it's good stuff?

Maybe I just need to learn how to machine a helical CV.

Warranted..... This post could be replied to 47 different ways, but I feel like if we're not figuring out these portal gears. We're just sitting around.

View attachment 329147

View attachment 329148

View attachment 329149

View attachment 329150

View attachment 329151
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]... good luck with that one.

0f9b2b1a8a881bd18907e29ca89bb1b5.jpg
31b43b7df7c9dfcc190b1de660ebcbd4.jpg
e20c3edd5bedebd5b318a91ba9ad9be4.jpg
d26ef98d10d706cc4e71e52718e60341.jpg
21d2243343637a2ab58c24c60e369aa5.jpg
0f17b1d40af4e15c88326e7f59dad109.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tubeworks says their differential will accept a 10 inch ring gear and a 9 inch ring gear. The face to face width is 9.3 inches. The height is 11 inches. The pinion will be connected to the ring gear at the bottom for a two-wheel portal design. The stub shafts on the inside are 35 spline, and the differential can run 934 CV's and series 30. The price is $18,500.

Screenshot_20201028-131210.png

That's it, the original. On sale to build mirrors of the new cars that bailey, wayland, and Brian crofts, that were built in the last two years. Parts/ team shareability... smart co-op racing on PROVEN components and platform.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I wonder who's personal rig that is. Thinking that was 2 cars ago for him. I don't know. Maybe they still have it. I saw lately, he had the Dragon Slayer on the cutting block for $275,000, or something. I think something new in the industry spooked them. I feel like their full on deck building a new car.

You think they have been spooked ? I'd say that's pretty obvious.

I'm thinking the Campbells have found this thread and are so scared by what's going on that they are promptly selling all their cars to retire and not be blocking your way on the lakebed.

Portals are fun; you need to plan all your suspension geometry around them, use fancy high BS wheels, plan for much higher stresses on links and pivots, higher COG, etc. You don't just slap them into a design. My Axletechs created a whole host of issues that needed to be designed around and dealt with. Independent suspension adds even more complexity.

Portals are fun; you need to plan all your suspension geometry around them, use fancy high BS wheels, plan for much higher stresses on links and pivots, higher COG, etc. You don't just slap them into a design. My Axletechs created a whole host of issues that needed to be designed around and dealt with. Independent suspension adds even more complexity.

Thank you for the comforting words. I feel like you said a lot of things that were real world correct other than the BS big wheels.

I find it fun to talk about all this stuff on the internet in a shop scenario. It keeps my mind rolling, but a lot of the people I deal with have never experienced work in real shop, and never will. This thread may be one of the closest 'in shop' atmosphere scenarios they'll see.

Ya, know. Guys in the shop voicing opinions, and everyone getting into a "back and forth" about what needs to be done. They're are a pile of people out there who don't get to experience that side of the game, and I feel like it leaves an entire part of the industry blind to them. Then they end up making decisions on things they don't have much understanding towards.

I can see how they read a lot of things that get posted, and get mind swayed because a conglomeration of people's internet thought's come together.

Where I come from, this is not the case. We don't really give a fuck about what the public thinks because our job is to compete with the top 1% of off road racers on the planet.

I had almost decided to leave the thread alone, and take it back to the dark side of the industry no one gets to see, til you posted something decent to conversate about.

I can bounce off this type of stuff.

Back