Chop top XJ..with Exo cage... End to an Era..

sweet
What are you going to do to the front end? I have plans for mine but just no time.

make new 3 link suspension with either air shocks or coil overs. we will see what kind of deals I can find on them

then 44 front will get sold off

Unibody + Racing = crumpled can :flipoff2:

Christmas in Sept :)

Hi9 w/ 5.29 gears & ARB 35 spline

hi9box.jpg

hi9.jpg

hi9gears.jpg

well I am still in collecting parts stage to build the new front axle but I wanted a better front suspension so I am doing a little work this weekend hope to have them in by end of weekend :)

swayaway.jpg

Well ended only having about 5hrs of work time yesterday ( family time was needed )

but I did get a bunch done and should have it all finished today

took out coils, shocks, etc.. then had to move the air box on drivers side and the radiator over flow on passenger side then I cut some holes :)

fenderhole.jpg

supported jeep with engine hoist, some jack stands, and set axle at ride height.
leveljeep.jpg

made some bottom brackets and welded them in
axlebracket.jpg

made frame stiffners on both side and welded them in then made some tube slugs and then the tube for shock mount
shockmount.jpg

got drivers side in and done
uppermount.jpg

shockin.jpg

plan to get passenger side done today and a brace connecting both shock hoops in.. then charge with nitrogen and see how it rides

well it is all done and I drove it around the neighborhood a few times with no issues :)

shocks are even tuned..

100_8287.jpg

100_8290.jpg

100_8291.jpg

100_8288.jpg

everything fit except air box.. need to fix that..it is a little tight on passenger side
100_8305.jpg

plenty of room on drivers side
100_8304.jpg

took a few pics outside with everything closed up and my little helper :)

what shocks.. I do not see anything out of place..
100_8297.jpg

from the side
100_8298.jpg

engine bay
100_8300.jpg

from below showing angle
100_8308.jpg

best news is that it drove very very smooth..

thanks for Scott, John and Craig for all the help

Ken, where's the windshield washer squirter reservoir? You work fast, probably already mounted it since your last post. :lol:

never came out, was in the entire time :)

Does it have a lot of roll?

not bad at all.

it does have a little when I was flooring it in a corner.. but leafs sure do keep it stable

How would you change the valve cover gasket if it needed it?
It looks kinda tight

going to add tube cut aways later on but this needed to be done by Thursday night so we can load jeep to head to Cali for KOH

How would you change the valve cover gasket if it needed it?
It looks kinda tight

i got rid of factory one many many years ago and put in one of those replacement ones you get when you buy bushwcker fenders, etc.. it is right next to radiator now ( little white cap if you look hard on drivers side in pic )

had to make a temp air filter location and move radiator bottle to other side.. just could not get air cleaner over cross brace bar without crushing the tube

but this will work
imag0031.jpg

imag0032.jpg

Back