Chop top XJ..with Exo cage... End to an Era..

well time has come to start some more upgrades..

1st: I took off the steel beadlocks and I am going to run aluminum rims with Inner Air Locks to save some weight.

since I could not make up my mind on rims I now have 8 Aluminum rims :)
100_6057.jpg

I also got a set of Chromo Shafts from ECGS I originally went with just stock u joints but I have no convinced myself that I should just pony up and get some good ones.. So I guess I need to call ECGS again :)
100_6055.jpg

found out my ball joints are bad so I am going to put all new ball joints in and while i have it apart I am going to replace all the tie rod ends on steering

here is how it sits now :)
100_6059.jpg

Was this Jeep on Xtreme 4x4? I was watching it yesterday and they were talking about Tellico and showing a few trail rides and I could've swore this Jeep was on there. Good luck with the build!

Was this Jeep on Xtreme 4x4? I was watching it yesterday and they were talking about Tellico and showing a few trail rides and I could've swore this Jeep was on there. Good luck with the build!

yes that was my Jeep on Xtreme yesterday.. I was part of there first trail ride with the alum jeep and the cheap Jeep at Tellico

here is my write up about it
http://www.impaks.com/xtreme4x4tv_writeup.asp

well with a sick son at home I had no time to work in garage.. but I did weight a few things..

steel beadlock wheels with bolts weight = 57lbs each

alum rim plus Inner Air lock = 24lbs each

that is a 33lb per corner weight saving, total = 132lbs :)
plus I am switching out spare tire with steel rim to alum rim so about another 20lbs savings..

well 152lbs is better then none :)

Did some more weight measurements and this is what I took of so far

(2)64lb - front doors
(2)48lb - rear doors
45lb - rear hatch

so these total = 269 lbs of Jeep
plus 152lbs of rims I did also

So I am down 421lbs.. my original goal was 1500lb loss but the more i weight things I am now aiming for 1000lbs.

interesting, keep us posted on the weights, and what you strip out.
Do you still have the carpet? The section under the passenger compartment is pretty heavy, I would guess 50-60lbs.

Aftermarket seats mihgt be lighter than factory. It looks like your drivers seat is non-electric. The electric driver's seat in my '99 is probably twice as heavy as the non-electric passenger seat. Then there's the rear seat (Ken, I know you have little uns, maybe keeping it for them?). Both sections of the rear seat are, what...40lbs, lighter than I thought.

Still got the A/C compressor and condensor? I've been eying the A/C delete pulley at NAPA for a while, just can't bring myself to pay $30 for weight savings just yet.

ken, your going to be adding weight though.. the X brace behind the seats, and you have been talking about boat siding it.. Boatsides are going to be heavier then whats on there now...

tony, the carpet is gone. his carpet must have weighed 100lbs, due to all the water that it had soaked up. I am really curious to see what my xj weights in comparison to kens, and yours..

interesting, keep us posted on the weights, and what you strip out.
Do you still have the carpet? The section under the passenger compartment is pretty heavy, I would guess 50-60lbs.
Aftermarket seats mihgt be lighter than factory. It looks like your drivers seat is non-electric. The electric driver's seat in my '99 is probably twice as heavy as the non-electric passenger seat. Then there's the rear seat (Ken, I know you have little uns, maybe keeping it for them?). Both sections of the rear seat are, what...40lbs, lighter than I thought.
Still got the A/C compressor and condensor? I've been eying the A/C delete pulley at NAPA for a while, just can't bring myself to pay $30 for weight savings just yet.

Yup Carpet is gone and yes I should have weighted it.. it was very very heavy..

I also plan to put suspension seats in.. so I will save some there.. but I do need to keep back seat for little ones.

I am gonna take air bags out so my son can ride in front seat when it is just him and me on wheeling trips.

as for a/c that needs to stay per wife :)

ken, your going to be adding weight though.. the X brace behind the seats, and you have been talking about boat siding it.. Boatsides are going to be heavier then whats on there now...

tony, the carpet is gone. his carpet must have weighed 100lbs, due to all the water that it had soaked up. I am really curious to see what my xj weights in comparison to kens, and yours..

ya i have not decided 100% on boat sides yet.. but yes I will ne adding x brace for b pillar..

all in all it is very interesting to see what things actually weight and when XJ is done with this round of upgrades what it will weight

are you going to just run without doors and a hatch now, or plan to make some soft doors to keep the elements out? jw, I know you said your wife liked the a/c, so....

I plan right now to leave hatch off and make some half doors with metal and plexi that I can take off of I want.

got a little package today:

Thanks to Shawn @ innerairlock for making my alum rock rings

100_6215.jpg

100_6216.jpg

total weight of 5 rings is 10lbs

well got one rim welded up and other 4 should be done this week.. then I can mount the inner air locks and get them back on jeep..

also ripped apart front to replace ball joints wow they were bad..

100_6299.jpg

100_6298.jpg

It may be in here somewhere, and if so forgive me; But, what kind of machine did you use to weld those (that)?

Sorry about the job, btw, just noticed...

It may be in here somewhere, and if so forgive me; But, what kind of machine did you use to weld those (that)?

Sorry about the job, btw, just noticed...

Well good news is I found a job already and I am working again :)

as for welding .. I am not doing it.. a buddy of a buddy is doing it.. he is a professional welder and is doing it on the side for me.

I weight the rim alone today and it is 21lbs..

guy said he finished the other 4 so next week I hope to be mounting the rims and tires..

Well got all rims back and they all came out great.. guy did an awesome job.

I got one mounted today with inner air lock installed and I also weighted it..

108lbs is rim, tire, inner air lock. / 38 TSl with 15x10 alum rims.
if all goes well I am going to try to mount 3 more tomorrow so jeep can move.

100_6349.jpg

100_6350.jpg

Back