Chop top XJ..with Exo cage... End to an Era..

i really like that look... are you going to get rid of the factory taillights that stick out for maybe a set of recessed LEDs?

Yes long term.. we are going to make steel boxes with LED's .. but the taillights can be done last.. so for now they will stay until the everything else gets done..

no storage bins w/ flip up lids, on the sides ?

not yet..

the idea is to make them later.. after major work is done..

but the will only be on passenger side because i had to much wiring to keep in drivers side, and fuel door is inside there also

Very nice.

Probably no weight gain since you removed two pieces of glass, and the metal lost/added is close to equal.

Have you thought about making a tailgate so it's like a small enclosed bed?

I did but with a 38 TSL laying in the back a tailgate will not work..

Plus I do not want the spare at an angle or anything like that. I just want it laying flat in bed.

if you look at this pic, you can see the tire sticking out a little past the tail lights
100_1996.jpg

everygood XJ mallcrawler knows the spare goes on the roof (right behind the row of KC lights) :huggy:

looks good man. I can't believe this was started Thursday, good progress!

looks good, i found pics the other day of when i cut up my xj. It was very clearly the begining of the end:lol:

I love what you did with it, and have been thinking of that option for myself. Your thread has answered alot of my questions.

Are you going in or outside cage?

I love what you did with it, and have been thinking of that option for myself. Your thread has answered alot of my questions.
Are you going in or outside cage?

I am doing an exo/internal in a few places..

mostly exo with some internal for support and bracing

Well we got about 90% of all welding done tonight.

we also finished the rear Cargo area, sealed it with autobody sealer then bedliner spray

100_2009.jpg

100_2011.jpg

everygood XJ mallcrawler knows the spare goes on the roof (right behind the row of KC lights) :huggy:
looks good man. I can't believe this was started Thursday, good progress!

Well I have to say a BIG thanks to my fellow CNC4x4 folks John H, Scott and Steve for all there help.. without there help this would not have been done this quick.

It is good to have freinds that enjoy the same hobby

You mentioned crushing the passenger rear fender, something you might consider is putting diamond plate on the rears from the rear door back. Maybe just up to the bend, or go ahead and bend them to match it, sorta like the Wrangler/Poison Spyder corner protection / much stronger than the factory sheet metal, plus it covers up the current dmg.

"or" plan B...dovetail them a bit / but lots of wiring issues in the drivers side and the gas filler tube to worry about.

Top looks great, VERY nice chop!

Thanks...

as for the outside fenders.. I am gonna leave them sheetmetal since I will be making an exo cage that will protect the sides.. if I was not doing and exo I would plate both front and back corners

Ok so tonight was one of those nights were it looks like you got nothing done but in all reality you did.

we got rear hatch mocked up with weather stripping, got all bondo on(will sand that tomorrow night), and a bunch of grinding, smoothing, etc on the metal for hatch

100_2012.jpg

Hey Ken, Did you already cut off your rear wiper fluid line?

If so..too bad.

If not, a friend of mine chopped his xj,retained the fluid line, and is now able to squirt unsuspecting folks who happen to walk by the back of his jeep.All from the safety of his drivers seat. Its hilarious to see everybody looking up for birds. Just a thought.

Hey Ken, Did you already cut off your rear wiper fluid line?
If so..too bad.
If not, a friend of mine chopped his xj,retained the fluid line, and is now able to squirt unsuspecting folks who happen to walk by the back of his jeep.All from the safety of his drivers seat. Its hilarious to see everybody looking up for birds. Just a thought.

SHHH :) mine is still all there :)

It looks like i will also have all the wiring from the rear including if the rear hatch is open and not locked :)

Looks cool Ken! How/where are you going to mount your CO2 bottle?

once I get it back from you then I can try to mount it :)

the plan was to mount it back towards the taillights so the tailgate will still open..

Very nice looking work. Maybe you don't have to worry about this with such a wide track width but why didn't you dovetail the "bed"?

Very nice looking work. Maybe you don't have to worry about this with such a wide track width but why didn't you dovetail the "bed"?

it crossed my mind.. but I only have a one week dead line.. so that is not time..

this has to be done my this Friday :)

I can't wait to see the finished product. I assume you will still be able to use the rear seat or would that put someones head too close to the glass? seeing an xj cut this clean has got me thinking about mine...

Back