Chop top XJ..with Exo cage... End to an Era..

Well here are some updates :)

100_2024.jpg

100_2025.jpg

100_2026.jpg

Great news is we got it DONE in 7 days

yup it is all back together..
Back hatch opens, closes, locks, has struts to hold it open..

it came out very well and I am very happy with a 7 day deadline..

100_2029.jpg

100_2030.jpg

100_2032.jpg

100_2033.jpg

100_2034.jpg

100_2039.jpg

here is a shot video showing how it works..

we reused the original latch and lock from the tailgate so it locks and unlocks..

I still need to get unlock mechanism to work.. but atleast for now I can reach inside and just unlock it by hand

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7338570673824170046

lastly I want to Thank.. John H, Scott R, Steve F and others for helping to pull this off in 7 days.. I am still kinda surprised we got it done..

So THANKS GUYS

Awesome Work. What lift gates did you use? Were they the factory ones?

I reused all the stock stuff to save money..

it was alot of work making the original lock/latch, struts, etc to work.. but in the long run I think it is well worth it.

I still need to get a better spring to help release the rear hatch.. but what I have will work for now.

awesome job,glad to see someone did it right

Well Drove it out of shop today

Here are finished " for now" pics

you can see I did not fix all the dents on passenger side..i figured they would probably get smashed again

100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

100_2042.jpg

100_2043.jpg

I normally don't like te cjop tops on these but for some reason I really like this one. Did you fab that front bumper up yourself? It's alot like what I am thinking about making.

looks awesome Ken... have you thought bout kinda openin the rear wheelwell up and flippin the rear springs, to be a better departure angle?

ya know I have had folks suggest that to me and also suggest to fix my shackle angle on the rear springs.. but my setup works.. so i figured why mess up a good thing

so for now it all stays

I normally don't like the chop tops on these but for some reason I really like this one. Did you fab that front bumper up yourself? It's alot like what I am thinking about making.

thanks for the compliments

yes I built the front bumper with a freind many years back
you can see more pics here:
http://www.impaks.com/xj_bumper.asp

hows ur shop commin that I cleared a spot 4 in the yard with the tractor a while back??

we took the part that normally bolts to the uni-body, and welded it to the hatch. the latch was moved inside to the half wall, we made some tabs for it to bolt to.

Most of the factory trim can be reused, with some modification. With the seat up it will look stock.

Back