3XYJ Build…Tons/42s/SUA= LOW

Cool deal are you going to run your drag link off your tie rod or have a seperate drag link off of the steering arm on top of the knuckle?

Planning on basic crossover from the top of the knuckle for the drag link and redrilling and flipping the tie rod.

No new updates...just waiting on mudpro to get the sliders and spring hangers finished up. I got my shock hoops and ubolt kit in so hopefully I can make some headway this weekend!

I'd love to see this sometime also, give you a hand if you need it. I'm contemplating doing the same to my 94YJ. It's sitting in my parent's driveway now waiting on me to get some money together to get the tranny rebuilt and I'm itching to put tons and 42s on it also!

4aeb43c1-d08d-966f.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Those look like some nice pieces... will the aluminum bolt into the steel plate?

Put a meth lab in the back......Then it will be rowdy

So what looked easy during the inital mock up is proving to be quite difficult. You can see in the pics. There is plenty of room for uptravel for the housing before we hit the frame. BUT, there is only an inch or so before we hit the pitman arm.

So, the plan is to fabricate a pitman arm. Yeah, thats gonna be fun.

just go full hydro... problem solved

Winner winner chicken dinner

This has been discussed but I have never priced full hydro and I am kinda scared to do so. Seems moving the box or running something like a scout box outside the frame with the arm swung foward would be a lot cheaper.:beer:

The stock steering will suck with those big tires. You'll want at least hydro assist and once you do that might as well get full hydro. If you are patient you can get the parts used or inexpensive. I've been tracking down stuff for mine. I saw a DE ram with clamps for $50 so I grabbed it. You can modify your existing pump then get the right orbital and a reservoir from JEGS.

You'll be about the same money.

Winner winner chicken dinner
The stock steering will suck with those big tires. You'll want at least hydro assist and once you do that might as well get full hydro. If you are patient you can get the parts used or inexpensive. I've been tracking down stuff for mine. I saw a DE ram with clamps for $50 so I grabbed it. You can modify your existing pump then get the right orbital and a reservoir from JEGS.
You'll be about the same money.

I will be going hydro assist, but I dont have much time to wait on parts since I want this done in the next month or 2. How id full hydro on the road?

A buddy of mine tried slider boxes like you have mocked up there on the front. He ran them on the back for one run and immediately cut them off and went back to shackles. On the rear, they seemed for some reason to add a lot of wheel hop due to the reduced friction. Up front, you may see less lateral stability. Looks well done, though!

by the time you buy a scout/astro box and tap it for assist, make sure you get the correct pitman arm & steering shaft, and buy the material/heims for the drag link, you will basically have about the same money as an orbital valve.

depending on the type of steering valve you get, it can drive like a tractor/equipment or just like a stock vehicle.

some people are afraid of it because there is no mechanical linkage between the knuckles and your hands, but IMO a mechanical linkage could break as easy as a hydraulic one.

by the time you buy a scout/astro box and tap it for assist, make sure you get the correct pitman arm & steering shaft, and buy the material/heims for the drag link, you will basically have about the same money as an orbital valve.

depending on the type of steering valve you get, it can drive like a tractor/equipment or just like a stock vehicle.

some people are afraid of it because there is no mechanical linkage between the knuckles and your hands, but IMO a mechanical linkage could break as easy as a hydraulic one.

well, I already have an astro box and my steering linkages. I would cut and lengthen the stock steering shaft, and a pitman arm would be cheap.

I know nothing about full hydro so someone would have to set it up for me. So I would all ready be in it the price of labor, materials, and a full hydro kit/parts. I am not against full hydro, I just know nothing much about it!:beer:

2.5 turn lock to lock orbital $400.

Surplus center ram with welded on mounts $200...(clamps will slide eventually anyways)

Lines...$200+/-

Cooler w/fan $125

Use your stock pump.

Heims, bungs, tube, bolts, make your own brackets & mounts.....your staring down 1k + no matter how you look at it. Used stuff works fine depending on how much time you have to shop for it and how mad you'll be if a seal fails on your first trip out. Just my .02 brother.

2.5 turn lock to lock orbital $400.
Surplus center ram with welded on mounts $200...(clamps will slide eventually anyways)
Lines...$200+/-
Cooler w/fan $125
Use your stock pump.
Heims, bungs, tube, bolts, make your own brackets & mounts.....your staring down 1k + no matter how you look at it. Used stuff works fine depending on how much time you have to shop for it and how mad you'll be if a seal fails on your first trip out. Just my .02 brother.

thanks Austin...awesome info:beer: I have been looking myself and it seems hydro assist and a new box will be way cheaper.

Austin's the boss... no matter how you look at it.

The YJ is looking sweet man. Good to see it getting built on again!

Cj and I have never seen a steering box mounted this far up the frame but it seems to have potential. It puts the pitman arm about 2" in front of the tie rod...any input?

Back