3XYJ Build…Tons/42s/SUA= LOW

I am beginning to think this thing is going to be to low. I am at about 108" wheelbase with only 19" under the frame. Any input? I am going to have to retub the entire rear to make this happen and if it doesnt work, im stuck with the rear being tubbed way to high for spring over.

A spring over would probably raise it up to about 24-25" under the frame. Since you have been trying to keep it low, that might be too high. My cab truck is almost 25" under the frame, and I think it is too high. What about rearching those springs for 2" of lift, or buying a set of springs with more arch? Are those stock YJ springs right now?

It isn't much of a comparison, but my Samurai with a 82" WB, and 34" LTB's has a 16" belly.

What about rearching those springs for 2" of lift, or buying a set of springs with more arch? Are those stock YJ springs right now.

They are stock Isuzu springs. Rearching is an idea, but he would need about 3 inches I think. That would shorten them. And we would have to redo some mounts, but its not that big of a deal.

You could lose the sliders and run shackles. If that isn't enough run a lift shackle and/or an add a leaf. If Chad still has that shell of a trooper at his house he already has a set.

I know it sux to cut out all of your welding, but it's an idea.

The front bumper is already low as hell. I cant imagine what it would be with a shackle hanging down. I am lower in the front than csudmans yj with only about 2" of lift and 36s as it sits now.

Slight change of plans.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1309137593749.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309137593749.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 729
  • uploadfromtaptalk1309137667272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309137667272.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 735
  • uploadfromtaptalk1309137682660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309137682660.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 786
Shakle reverse sucks.

Just wondering why you say that. I always like my stock YJ shackle setup and will be doing a leaf setup on my truck soon and was wondering which way to go. I know the Idea of a Reverse shackle gives a better ride but off road is it better?

Good looking YJ by the way makes me miss mine....

That looks right. I'd still try SUA in the rear. If nothing else, it will be worth it to cut down on axle wrap. The front will most likely twist up better with flat SOA springs like that. Nice job with the front shackle hangers too.

Just wondering why you say that. I always like my stock YJ shackle setup and will be doing a leaf setup on my truck soon and was wondering which way to go. I know the Idea of a Reverse shackle gives a better ride but off road is it better?
Good looking YJ by the way makes me miss mine....
Do a search on pirate4x4 about shackle reversal pros and cons...lots of good reading and opinions there.

Generally people seem to think having the shackles under the truck provide less wander on the road and better braking characteristics. Offroad, however, having the shackles in front forces the axle to travel forward under suspension compression, which can help climbing over obstacles. It sort of pulls the jeep over instead of trying to just push the axle back under the rig, making the front light.

In Chad's case, the COG is so low the negative effects of shackles forward should be minimal for on road driving

Even with the SOA and 42s I am only 23" to the bottom of the frame which is exactly where I wanted to be. Steering is going to be so much easier once we notch the frame. The SUA was a good idea but there was to much body work required to make it work. SUA in the rear is still a definate option!

So...after getting it settled on tires it looks like the rear is going to be SUA and I am sitting about 21-22" to the frame rail on 42s SOA/SUA. I am only going to have about 2-3" of uptravel so "go fast" is going to be out of the question!!!

Generally people seem to think having the shackles under the truck provide less wander on the road and better braking characteristics. Offroad, however, having the shackles in front forces the axle to travel forward under suspension compression, which can help climbing over obstacles. It sort of pulls the jeep over instead of trying to just push the axle back under the rig, making the front light.

That's the thought I always had but never did much reading into it. been pondering a similar front suspension on my truck, did you get the sliders off in 1 piece:huggy:

Got a couple crappy pics. we are done with our part. headed to Mars Fab next week.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1310486987408.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1310486987408.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 829
  • uploadfromtaptalk1310487003882.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1310487003882.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 797
I like the way the shackles are hung on the end of the frame rails. Looks like a good way to cheat some longer leaves under my scout project. If nothing else it looks very cool!

Back