Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

Figure I'd post a pic of my new tow rig. Just brought it home Saturday morning. Will be converting it to a motor home shortly.
View attachment 211121

Im interested to see how insurance goes with this. It has been hard for some to get coverage.

I'll let you know soon enough. Got my self contained toilet yesterday. I'm gonna pick up a little mini fridge this week. I already have a hot plate for cooking and I'm gonna add Shore power. I know enough about electrical to get myself in trouble so that's probably going to be the hardest part.

I'll let you know soon enough.

From what I understand from officer J Wilhite :rolleyes: that if the DMV blesses it with RV status you don't have to have a CDL to drive it, but do YOU have one already?

No I dont have one and you are correct I will not be required to have one.

From what I understand from officer J Wilhite :rolleyes: that if the DMV blesses it with RV status you don't have to have a CDL to drive it, but do YOU have one already?
You THINK you won't need a CDL ? Or someone important has told you that you won't ?? Gonna take a lot more than a porta potty to convince the Diesel bears that that is an RV.........

If it is registered as a motor home its no different than a 40' diesel pusher dragging a giant enclosed trailer. There's an entire forum of people that have done this for years. Several of them are in nc and nobody reports ever having any issues. Only difference is they drive them ugly set back axle volvos because they care more about turning radius than style points.

You THINK you won't need a CDL ? Or someone important has told you that you won't ?? Gonna take a lot more than a porta potty to convince the Diesel bears that that is an RV.........

I sat on the side of the road for quite a long time with Officer J Wilhite of the DMV enforcement, waiting for verification of ownership of a Deuce-1/2 I was driving illegally. During that time we had a long discussion about what constitutes an RV and it's difference in classification from needing a CDL. Chassis, Air brakes, tractors, etc. He gave me the ins and outs of what would have to happen to a 5 ton or 20 ton military vehicle with air brakes to exempt it from requiring a CDL.
I never discussed with him commercial tractors. Only military +5ton tractors with air brakes.

But the Taco truck thread tells you EXACTLY what you have to have

1451430442307-jpg.206895

the only thing difference I've been told for class 8 trucks is I have to remove the commercial 5th wheel to please the DMV.

the only thing difference I've been told for class 8 trucks is I have to remove the commercial 5th wheel to please the DMV.

Let me know how insurance goes! I tried just about every insurance company on the east coast and not one would allow it. We spent 1 year trying to get the RV converted tractor insured. Most of the companies we talked to said they did allow it a few years back but discontinued due to all the scams they were having. A lot of people that have tractors insured were grandfathered in. Every insurance company also had their own little stipulations like max allowable yearly miles, max miles, no out of state, needs to be stored inside... yada yada yada... the list goes on..

As far as the DMV goes, that was the easiest part! and getting the vin number changed over, again, easy! Damn insurance companies.

Anyway, we lost a couple thousand dollars and a lot of time building up an older Pete just to fight daily on the phone with insurance companies for a freaking year. Eventually, we sold it... It was disappointing. I really hope you have better luck brother... and if you do, PM with what insurance you ended up with and how much yearly... It would be neat to know! And I would definitely recommend finding an insurance company before you put too much time and money into it.

My insurance agent that handles my home and auto is a broker for national general insurance and that's one of the company's people have had luck with in our region as recently as December last year so hopefully I can get with them (or someone) without too much hassle. If not I guess it's cdl and commercial insurance time.

Back