Doe Mountain OHV - Mountain City, TN

what an annoying woman. with that being said, it's a start.

I think her idea of outdoor activities and our idea of outdoor activities are two different things...

Quoted directly from their website (http://www.doemountaintrails.com/article.php?id=60)...

Doe Mountain contains many miles of pre-existing trails. Planned uses include horseback riding, mountain biking, ATV-ing and UTV-ing, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, rappelling, camping and spelunking.

ATV-ing & UTV-ing looks pretty specific... might want to hold off a while on the celebration. o_O

Does anybody know how close this is to any creeks/rivers??? Thats basically what got us kicked out of Tellico and it could happen here if the right people get wind of it.The economy in Mnt city must be pretty dang bad if they're hopin for a ORV park to help.I dont know the lay of the land that well but how close is this to Callantee????

I dont know the lay of the land that well but how close is this to Callantee????

Callanlantee was on the NE side of town, this place is on the SW side of town. It looks like about 5-8 miles.

Like Hatfield McCoy, no jeeps. The town is also planning to open certain streets to OHV's like Hatfield McCoy too.

I don't know where the horses will ride, but I don't think they'll be on the OHV trails. The Cherokee Forest already has horse trails across the Lake on a different mtn.
Good thing I dont have a Jeep.:D That was posted back in sept so maybe things have changed.If theyre wantin revenue then they need to allow jeeps/trucks in.I know it cost me alot more to take my blazer than it did a four wheeler.

we can only hope for the best!!

That website is not a Johnson County or Doe Mountain Reacreation Boad Authority website. I know for a fact that there is ATV opposition to allowing full size OHVs. Mayor Potter is an ATV rider. I have a call back into his office to try and clear up any confusion. The DMRABA has a meeting Tuesday evening in Mountain City. It would be good if some semi local full size rereationists could attend!

I know this is still breaking news and new info. My first thought is what can i do to help, and my second thought has anyone or group/club thought of offering to go up and help with the building and developement of the property. If for no other reason it may look good on OHV community that were taking interest and willing to help, it may also help keep our foot in the door if the atv community tries to close it on us.......Just a thought.

I'm going to run over the next guy I see on an ATV. There are so few of us in the "offraod community" that working against each other seems preposterous to me. I can't ever recall "us" trying to close a trail to ATV/utvs or limit their access.

I just spoke with Mayor Potter again. The opening in April will be a "soft opening" whatever that is. At that time they will allow ATV, horse and mountian bike traffic. He said as the area grows that the board authority will consider other uses. He insisted he didn't tell me that Jeeps would be included in April so maybe I just heard something I wanted to hear :) I told him they were missing a gold mine in revenue. We need to start a lobbying campaign to let the board authority know how much revenue they will miss by excluding us! I think we should also start legal action. These are public lands owned by the state of TN and my rights as a full size OHV recreationist are being discriminated against! :)

Does anybody know how close this is to any creeks/rivers??? Thats basically what got us kicked out of Tellico and it could happen here if the right people get wind of it.The economy in Mnt city must be pretty dang bad if they're hopin for a ORV park to help.I dont know the lay of the land that well but how close is this to Callantee????
Mtn City Tennessee / Tellico North Carolina. TOTALLY 2 different states. Tennessee is all about tourism to make up for no state tax. Alcohol and Hotel rates are jacked in TN. But TDWPC is MUCH more forgiving than NCDENR. TN doesn't have buffers on anything. You buy land on a river / lake then you can build right up on it as long as your shit goes in an approved hole and you can feed water to it. NC municipalities are authorizing buffers upon NC state buffers now days and it's getting worse every year. Buildable land will get very scarce in NC eventually.

Since they do allow UTV's, this is just more reason to convince myself to buy a side x side.

Since they do allow UTV's, this is just more reason to convince myself to buy a side x side.
Been there done that. Wont do it again. What pisses me off, is them sobs have got a ton of land to hike, moutain bike, ride there grass eatin shittn, every where horses, etc. Why cant we get a place to ride? Man some people really piss me off. :flipoff:

Last edited:
Any body want to buy a half built crawler w/ lots of goodies?

We can't win when the .gov is involved. The loss of Tellico set that precedent.

Supporting the few private trails we have is what we need to be doing.

Not that I don't think we need to support places like this and URE but it's a losing battle.

John, could we by some chance get an address to who ever we need to write and describe the amount of money that we have spent in the past when we went to Mnt City. We can include in this letter the grocery stores that we visited, the fuel that we bought, the hotels we stayed in, and FILLED up for many weekends? We can also tell of the restaurant that we eat out at and the amounts of money we spent for food. We can tell of the parts that we broke, and the need there for new business, such as an advance auto parts(don't remember if there one) We can also tell of our participation in the annual toy run, which supplied toys for the local JOHNSON COUNTY KIDS! We can tell of the facts like some of us started our kids out wheeling at Callalantee, and now how some of us have kids out there wheeling on their own. We can tell of other business that we would patronize like buying firewood, since bring firewood from out of state, and in most cases, from another county isn't legal, and we would need a local supplier. Within the letters we would need to defiantly tell of how many were in our groups when we visited there to go wheeling.

IMO if we as a group flood the office of this authority with letters of intent of usage, we can sway them of the economic impact we will have.
The squeaky wheel, gets the grease.

For those who are not very "letter writing gifted" we could even hold meet and greets where there would be help in composing a letter that would be well received.

I for one am open to doing anything that would allow us to get in there and have another place to wheel.

What say ye?

I allways held off buying groc. and gas till I got up there in town.Spent a damn bunch.They need to know what they are losin out on.

Back