Doe Mountain OHV - Mountain City, TN

^^^ I agree. There are substantially more ATV'ers than full size. But the ratio of atv's that get transported long distance/local use only is less than with our full size rigs because we almost always have to go somewhere else (other than home) to wheel and have a good time. I say we (full size) need open trails even more than others. I don't think our kind of wheeling lends itself well to the landscape of the east coast because most of our land here is Private, Farm, bought-up say more than the wide open west. I think unfortunately the future of our sport on the east side is going to be private full size 4x4 only parks. I would love to just drive my rig on and on some seemingly endless trail through vast landscapes but its not likely around here anymore. However the ammount of land needed for our rigs for parks is large and that is going to take atleast semi-wealthy enthusiasts to open up opprotunities for others to wheel.

Wow! I just got done reading this whole thread. Like a lot of you I was excited! I had fun at Callalantee the one and only time I got to go. It was close to Roanoke (3hrs) and it was easy driving after wheeling(my rig is no trailer queen). I could run cruise control most of the way.

I can see where there is a divide between the ATV/UTV crowd and the full size 4wd community but isnt HMT putting in a full sized rig system? If it can work up there, it can work in TN. That may be a good point to make to the Doe Mtn folks. I would push for a separate trail system if there is enough land to support it.

As for wheelin where there are ATV/UTV's; The only time I have wheeled with a UTV we (Jeepers) ended up doing a 4hr winch fest to recover the UTV from a steep trail on Poor Mountain VA(private land) called "The Gorge of Eternal Peril". He blew up his drive belt on a full throttle assault trying to climb out of the trail. Our Jeeps could not get down in there safely so we had to daisy chain 4 Jeeps together pulling out almost all the cable on each Jeep using the last Jeep in the chain as an anchor strapped to a rather large oak. We got him out and towed the Polaris Ranger 3 miles back to his trailer. He was grateful for the help. The two communities can work together and be much stronger.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things work out for us.

Mt City/Callalantee, "Welder", Good times :)

ai418.photobucket.com_albums_pp266_xjtrailrider_mt_20city_IMAG0030.jpg

ATVs and 4x4s just don't mix. If this is about revenue - which really it should be - then the money is in an ATV park, not 4x4s.

It's always about money.

I don't want you guys to get wrong idea. I'm all for full size rigs. I've been an owner and wheeler for years. We just need to prove the money is there. It's already proven for hmt. Harlan as well and it is dual purpose. Crozet is single purpose and is doing ok as well. Just need a well organized attack. What are the numbers from tellico? Didn't they do a study? Somebody mentioned it in this thread.

Thats why i mentioned a concerted effort to maybe help prove how serious we (the full size crowd) are about working and contributing to the local community.

My other thought is show how serious we are by doing what is done at URE and other parks, an adopt a trail program. Where a club/group go in and work with the management to cut and maintain trails. This way there is sweat equity in it as well, the monetary investment to the local community. I just brain storming looking for ideas that may be able to help us get in and have another place to go ride.

Thats why i mentioned a concerted effort to maybe help prove how serious we (the full size crowd) are about working and contributing to the local community.

My other thought is show how serious we are by doing what is done at URE and other parks, an adopt a trail program. Where a club/group go in and work with the management to cut and maintain trails. This way there is sweat equity in it as well, the monetary investment to the local community. I just brain storming looking for ideas that may be able to help us get in and have another place to go ride.
I think that is a great idea. The people that want to wheel, get them involved. Get work days scheduled an cut, clean, an maintain trails as needed. (Hinse the trail program). All these people want to wheel, lets see how bad they want it. If they want to ride an work for the use of the property thats great count me in. If they dont then it will never happen an no complaining.

Anyone heard any new news on this? offical opening date? I know jeeps will not be allowed but i would still be interested in taking the bike there sence it's close

As a native taxpaying Tennessean, I am upset the Doe Mountain Recreation Authority is excluding UTV’s from the Doe Mountain Recreation Area.
Fellow Tennesseans write your elected officials and complain. Our tax money bought the mountain we have rights. There are 8,600 acres on Doe Mountain, find a place for us.
Especially write Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey he was instrumental in the purchase.
lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov

As I understand it, SFWDA is looking into the situation to see if they can advocate for full size use on Doe Mountain. We'll see .......

As a native taxpaying Tennessean, I am upset the Doe Mountain Recreation Authority is excluding UTV’s from the Doe Mountain Recreation Area.
Fellow Tennesseans write your elected officials and complain. Our tax money bought the mountain we have rights. There are 8,600 acres on Doe Mountain, find a place for us.
Especially write Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey he was instrumental in the purchase.
[EMAIL='lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov[/quote']lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov[/EMAIL][/quote]

Done and I also sent two pics. Remember visual aids are great ways to be remembered.

as i understand it, today is the day the soft opening is? I've heard this a few times in past with it being pushed out but hear it is in newspapers. Also from my understanding, rock crawlers are a "no go" for now. ATVs/UTVs/2 wheeled bikes/horses/hiking are a go from what i was told?

Back