Doe Mountain OHV - Mountain City, TN

John, could we by some chance get an address to who ever we need to write and describe the amount of money that we have spent in the past when we went to Mnt City.

I will try to put together a contact list for everyone on the recreation board authority ASAP.

I just spoke with Mayor Potter again. The opening in April will be a "soft opening" whatever that is. At that time they will allow ATV, horse and mountian bike traffic. He said as the area grows that the board authority will consider other uses. He insisted he didn't tell me that Jeeps would be included in April so maybe I just heard something I wanted to hear :) I told him they were missing a gold mine in revenue. We need to start a lobbying campaign to let the board authority know how much revenue they will miss by excluding us! I think we should also start legal action. These are public lands owned by the state of TN and my rights as a full size OHV recreationist are being discriminated against! :)

The first step of creating the campaign is electing a director. I nominate JC!

Well, I sent an e-mail to the chamber, just expressing interest in the planning process, economic impact, family oriented, tread lightly....... will wait and see for any response,

Thanks for the nomination but no thanks, if i were not a newb I'd probably take the day off tuesday to go sit in on the meeting if they'd let me just to listen. I nominate T-Bone71.
:popcorn:

One of CNC club members called the Mayor and they said: "there are no plans at this time to open the park to vehicles."

Chamber supports business, Business = Money, money talks. Tell the Chamber of Commerce (use the contact us button on the link below) how much $ you spend on a weekend trip to Mtn City, at least we may get their attention.

http://johnsoncountytnchamber.org/event/doe-mountain-recreation-authority-board-2/

The small group that I ride wth (6-8) rigs spends lets say $200 bucks in that county for a weekend ride = $1600 bucks per small group, and thats low balling it. Imagine the attention (revenue) they will get when the larger groups (CTB, BDB, Rock Corps etc.) bring their groups.

^^ ding ding

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well, I sent an e-mail to the chamber, just expressing interest in the planning process, economic impact, family oriented, tread lightly....... will wait and see for any response,
I nominate T-Bone71.
:popcorn:
No thanks, but i'll help anyway i can. I know what i spend on any given weekend to go ride Callalantee (when they were open), it would really add up if the powers that be knew what they were missing out on. I know i'm send an email to show support for us going.

It would be good if some semi local full size rereationists could attend!
Has anybody heard from Doug (turtle mechanic) that use to do the toy run at Cal????.He's local but I havent saw him around in a while.

Last edited:
Don't forget/overlook, that CTB, hosted 2 or 3 S4WDA meetings, at Callentee, with many filling the 2 ? Motels, Hardees, gas stations, & grocery stores, for each weekend! 1 was held at the Community Cnt.[i think], & 1 at the Fire Dept, with a couple of Government officials.

I talk to doug reguarly and I will let him know about this thread and see what he can add. I know when this all started he was well aware of what they were thinking of doing at Doe and was not hopefull about us getting to ride there.

I got a response, so I guess its something.

Lisa,
Thank you for contacting us about Doe Mountain. The ultimate decisions concerning the mountain will be made by a fifteen person board of authority, made up of representatives from the state, tourism, economic development, the forest service, the Nature Conservancy, and others. I am forwarding your message onto the Mayor and his assistant, and they should get back with you in the next few days. We appreciate your input and wish you a very Merrry Christmas. Sincerely,
Karla Prudhomme; Economic Development & Tourism Director: Mountain City/Johnson County, Tennessee
222 West Main Street Mountain City, Tennessee 37683
(423)202-4386 prudhommerk@centurylink.net

I got a response, so I guess its something.

Lisa,
Thank you for contacting us about Doe Mountain. The ultimate decisions concerning the mountain will be made by ... the forest service, the Nature Conservancy, and others. ...We appreciate your input and wish you a very Merrry Christmas. Sincerely,
Karla Prudhomme; Economic Development & Tourism Director: Mountain City/Johnson County, Tennessee
222 West Main Street Mountain City, Tennessee 37683
(423)202-4386 [EMAIL='prudhommerk@centurylink.net[/quote']prudhommerk@centurylink.net[/EMAIL]

yeah, let's just see how this turns out :rolleyes:

well there's an email addy in the return letter. We should all send a letter, maybe even the Pbb letter generator:D

Doe Mountain Recreation Area Board Authority

Mr. Terry Maughon, Terry@doerivergorge.com
Dr. Richard Strang, rmstrang@eastman.com
Mrs. Gabby Lynch, glynch@tnc.org
Mrs. Carolyn Wilson Hawkins, johnsoncounty_circuitcourt@hotmail.com
Mr. Larry Potter, johnsoncountymayor@embarqmail.com
Mr. Lawrence Keeble, lawrencekeeblemayor@embarqmail.com
Mr. Ed Carter, ed.carter@tn.gov
Ms. Alicia Summers, Alicia.summers@tn.gov
Mr. Brock Hill, Brock.Hill@tn.gov
Mrs. Susan Whitaker, Susan.Whitaker@tn.gov
Mr. Ray Stout, 561 Doeville Road, Butler, TN 37640
Mr. Mike Farmer, michaelhavenfarmer@comcast.net
Mr. Jerry Grindstaff, barryrealestate@embarqmail.com
Mr. Roby Phillippi, 1199 Sundown Road, Mountain City, TN 37683
Mr. Frank Arnold, frank_pm@hotmail.com

Members Stout and Phillippi do not have email addresses.

Last edited:
well there's an email addy in the return letter. We should all send a letter, maybe even the Pbb letter generator:D
I can make that happen more than likely if you're serious.

I'll send my letter today after work.

not good news, but news none the less.

Thank you for visiting Johnson County and contributing to our local economy! Both of you emailed me this weekend expressing a desire for Jeep's and large vehicle use on Doe Mountain. The Doe Mountain Recreation Authority Board will meet Tuesday, December 18th, this will be our 2nd meeting. Many things must be accomplished before we can officially open. We must develop a 'master plan', identify access points, and establish user group committees. At this time we have no plans to allow off road vehicles. I personally am not against totally excluding the large 4 X 4's. In fact, I like the large rigs. This is going to be a slow process. We hope to have a soft opening around April or May if possible.

Thank you for your interest,
Larry Potter
Johnson County Mayor

Here is the letter I got.

Thank you for visiting Johnson County and contributing to our local economy! Both of you emailed me this weekend expressing a desire for Jeep's and large vehicle use on Doe Mountain. The Doe Mountain Recreation Authority Board will meet Tuesday, December 18th, this will be our 2nd meeting. Many things must be accomplished before we can officially open. We must develop a 'master plan', identify access points, and establish user group committees. At this time we have no plans to allow off road vehicles. I personally am not against totally excluding the large 4 X 4's. In fact, I like the large rigs. This is going to be a slow process. We hope to have a soft opening around April or May if possible.

Thank you for your interest,
Larry Potter

I am sure I will recieve the generic letter too..

Back