Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

Nah, that's exactly how they do it on Quonsets. Plant a post at each end of the track in a decent sized footing. It'll be fine, and certainly better than swinging doors. The structure he had there wasn't sufficient for that, anyway.

Although, he's going to have to knock down the ends of the stem walls where they built the foundation bigger than the metal building. ;)

drawbridge style would be awesome...

shop.jpg

sliding doors wont work, unless you figure out a way to have one of the halves slide behind the other. Just look at it...if you took a door the size of the opening and slid it to the right you would only have revealed an opening the size of the finished part where your "man door" is. I guess you could continue the track off the side of the building, but i dont think that would be very stable. I think the aforementioned roll up door would be the nicest, it takes up no overhead room when opened. They are a little pricey though, might could find one thats been taken down somewhere....The building looks great by the way, very neat and simple, I like it!

exactly.. the sliding doors will be on 2 tracks.. one will slide behind the other so they will both open, when both open I will have a 15' entramce..

Yes they will cover the man walk in door, but if the garage door is open 15 foot why do i need to go threw walk in door :)

this double track has been used for years on barns, and carriage houses

We have pretty much every kind of door imaginable around the farm. By far the most annoying is the sliding barn style doors. Tracts always get filled with crap or something jammed along with being fairly heavy (wood). You cant beat a standard garage roll up. I dont cheap out on the stuff that will annoy me later though.

Well I passed my inspections through framing today... now this weekend I will get electrical wired and next week hopefully guy will come do rough inspection on electrical then I can finish that and get the final on building :)

A wooden ladder? Didn't know they made those anymore... :)
Looking good. I'm jealous as I need to start mine.

ya I borrowed that from a freind of mine..

Well I covered the doors.. and got them up..

I need to add a bunch of trim work to doors, etc..I also need to finish screwing in the panels to steel frame

but they are up and close very easily

100_4366.jpg

100_4363.jpg

100_4362.jpg

100_4365.jpg

100_4364.jpg

they just need to be screwed down.. Ken ran out of screws, and we didnt want to stop to make a Lowes run.

no I wanted to get more screws but we were on a time schedule to get doors up and get done.. I did go out last night and get more screws, door lock, etc.. so I will finish screwing them in this week

What's the plan for the pavers Ken? The approach to the garage or something else?

gonna use them to make a patio to keep wife happy :) of course that is after I get rid of my junk trucks :)

so did u decide to go with swinging doors, or are they just up until the slides are done?

after i built the frames and saw how light they were.. I decided to try swing doors.. and they work very well.

the nice part is the way I built the steel frames I could convert to slider doors very easy.. so time will tell.

the nice part is that it is closed off.. it will look better once i finish trim work, etc.

I would have gotten more done today but this is how I started my day
we estimate between 1000 and 1300 bricks
100_4368.jpg

Faaawk. Think you're sore now? Just wait until you have to lay those. I highly recommend renting a Dingo, a gas-powered plate compactor and a brick saw when it comes time... otherwise, you'll be in a world of hurt. Give me a call before you lay them, I might have learned a few lessons that'll save you time.

The doors look good.

Faaawk. Think you're sore now? Just wait until you have to lay those. I highly recommend renting a Dingo, a gas-powered plate compactor and a brick saw when it comes time... otherwise, you'll be in a world of hurt. Give me a call before you lay them, I might have learned a few lessons that'll save you time.

The doors look good.

worst part is I still need to pull up all the old concrete pavers first, then level ground, compact, etc before I even get to lay the bricks.. but keeping the wife happy is worth it :)

Well no pics.. but we re-graded the driveway.. so the doors clear easily now.

also put down concrete floor sealer.

and hung the lights.

now I can really start moving everythign from outside in :)

Back