00 xj 8.25/D30LP moving right along

guess i never thought of drilling out the bushing like that. thanks for the idea!!
You'll have to cut the bolt to remove the spring from the vehicle,
dang, now i gots to do this with jeep sitting out in the driveway on its leafs...hmmm this is going to make interesting day :gitrdun:

someone just informed me of buying "axle sleeves" for front and rear and they said it "greatly" strengthened the axle shafts themselves (of course having the joint as still the weak link) but not have to worry about breaking actual axles if not crazy beating on them...Are these worth the money? anyone run them before? i see they are weld on and seem a lot stronger so just looking for an opinion or too. gracias muchachos! hope everyone's enjoying the snow lol

someone just informed me of buying "axle sleeves" for front and rear and they said it "greatly" strengthened the axle shafts themselves (of course having the joint as still the weak link) but not have to worry about breaking actual axles if not crazy beating on them...Are these worth the money? anyone run them before? i see they are weld on and seem a lot stronger so just looking for an opinion or too. gracias muchachos! hope everyone's enjoying the snow lol
Need more clarification. Are these the ones that go over the u-joint yokes to strengthen the inner and outer shaft connection?

not quite...from what i was told and looked up, these go over the actual axle themselves on the inside of the housing and are welded in place so the axle now fits in snug as snug can be i guess and supposed to give 59% increase strength? on the shafts themselves, it looks like its just DOM tubing that barely fits over stock axles to improve their strength

Axle selves make the axle tubes strong they have nothing to do with the axle shafts
so you actually are talking about the axle shaft sleeves themselves not the housing sleeves...i'm just trying to get my facts straight cause this sounded like a pretty cool thing for only 100 to improve the axle strength on the front

Put a link to what you are talking about I've researched just about everything to improve a dana 30 and never heard of what your talking about.

I was talking about a tube that you beat into the inside of the axle tubes and drill a couple holes and then weld the wholes to connect the two. I have never seen a product that goes over the axle shaft to strength it. That said I've never broke a shaft, I've always broke the ears off at the u-joint that's where I would invest in strengthening the axle shafts

I was talking about a tube that you beat into the inside of the axle tubes and drill a couple holes and then weld the wholes to connect the two.
yep that's it..my bad..to me it seemed in the description that it helps the axle itself not the housing. all new to me so i misunderstood. thank you for clarifying that. so having this said, is it worth the money (especially for the rear 8.25 since it's welded or no. i guess i'm looking for some ways to beef up the 8.25 and D30 to handle the 35s a little better..i'm not very hard on em but would like a little more piece of mind on this project to be able to maybe use the "skinny" a bit more instead of the low crawl everywhere lol.

Best bang for the buck to keep the 30 together is spicer joints and find a washer that is big enough to fit all the way around the ears and still covers the u-joint, or you can buy a kit called an almost alloy kit from iron rock offroad

This is a pic of some we did for a friend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422406872.642573.jpg

i just went and looked those up...wicked!!!! and they clear the housing no problem i reckon. For that 30 price i think i will..i need new axle joints anyways.. but been waiting to put in the HD ones at the same time. thanks for the tip. never seen these. Iron Rock gives a heck of a review on em with guys running 35 crawlers with pretty heavy driving style and said they held up the abuse so i should be plenty clear then, lo

dam dude...so what would he do if he broke the joint..i guess it's time for whole new axle

If you brake a joint it takes out the shaft 98% of the time on a 30

I used the iron rock caps on my shafts for about a year before I broke it and I wasn't cutting it any slack

I used the iron rock caps on my shafts for about a year before I broke it and I wasn't cutting it any slack
thank you for this new upgrade input..i believe i will greatly benefit from this mod since i know i'm usually not crazy hard on it. anything you've done to your rear 8.25 that might help the strength...

dam dude...so what would he do if he broke the joint..i guess it's time for whole new axle
Carry spares. Takes 15 minutes to change, in the field,while under enemy fire,and delivering a baby.
13 mm 12 point socket, my friends and done.
Mother and child are doing well.......

gotha on the 8.8!..well thanks for the D30 little upgrade though..Enjoy the week fellas!

morning fellas. anyone know how many PSI of air this tank will hold..this is going to be my onboard air..and also the gauges that came with my welder that i don't use, is there a way to use them or just get regular gauge. i think the tank is 40gal thank you.............and yes that is my homemade car ramp i made for ease of exhaust work and anything that doesn't require tires to come off, works awesome!
air tank.jpg
air tank.jpg weldergauges.jpg

theres the better picture of that since i know a lot will be intrigued by this.....lol the cool thing too is I get to always have something to test articulation on
car ramp.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have seen ramps like that out here in the country growing up. As long as they are designed well and are not prone to flop over to the side they work ok. PLEASE make sure it wont flop over and crush you. We dont need a dead home mechanic, the liberals will want to ban working on vehs at home.

guys i know...thank you for ur concern but i'm not the dumbass everyone has portrayed me to be. had a suburban up on it and shaked the hell out of it back and forth...no budge. any thoughts on the air tank question?

Other than the tank being HUGE, it should work. I don't see why it wouldn't hold 150 psi, which is a good number to work with. Are you converting your AC compressor for air or you just wanting a fill-one-time-and-go?

Back