00 xj 8.25/D30LP moving right along

John Fuller

XJ Fanatic!!
Banned
hey guys..i've done lots of research but as always end up with lots of both direction advice so here it goes. From what i got out of most threads on the web...gussets are for more bigger tire sizes and the more hard wheeler on the axles...if this assumption is wrong, correct me. my new jeep build is this 00 XJ on 35s probably will stay on 35s even in future and was thinking of doing front and rear gussets but do i really need them..i don't wheel hard (try not to) i'm a crawling style so i try to stay off the skinny so do i still need to gusset them or not..i've run 36 and 38s before without issues so will this be waste of my time for what i do or do it. thanks for clarity on this.
xj right side done.jpg

im trying to figure out these gussets or else i'm going to spend time on bumpers and step/rock rails

Are you talking about an axle truss? If so I wouldn't worry about adding one. If you wheel easy enough to not break stock axles with a doubler and 39's then there is no way you will be bending an axle housing I wouldn't think.

Differential gussets?..like a truss? I wouldn't bother quite yet, for mild wheeling. You might t be unlucky and have a worthless Dana 35 in your rear, or the better Chrysler 8.25. Don't bother sinking any money in the turdy-5. Up front it will be a Dana 30, could be high or low pinion in a 2000, that was neR the changeover. Either one of those is probably ok to keep for moderate wheeling.

its the 8.25 and unfortunately low pinion D30 up front...and yeah the truss is what i was referring to. thanks for the input. that's what i figured that it was for the stress from wheeling hard so i guess with nothing bigger than 35s and stay off the peddle, not worth it from what i've been understanding!! thank you for response and clarity...moving on to bumpers and skidders then. glad i asked before spending hours and days making those trusses. gracias

Are you talking about an axle truss? If so I wouldn't worry about adding one. If you wheel easy enough to not break stock axles with a doubler and 39's then there is no way you will be bending an axle housing I wouldn't think.
i do plan on running another doubler on this jeep in the future as well because i like to crawl but i do plan on beating on this one a little more than i usually would by the time it's all done and said so would your answear still be the same or no

There are about 8 dozen small things you could do before adding axle trusses.

Adding a truss to either of those axles, with your vehicle in its current setup, would be a considerable waste of time and energy.

Skids and a mild winch/bumper would be a far better use of time and $.

Like he said^ . basically you have to determine what weak links you have and build from there. On a 30 front you have ball joints, inner shafts, u-joints and carrier to address first. However I've seen stock Dana 30s hold up to some abuse in stock form but a set of chromoly shafts will do you well. Forget the truss for now. One of the best and cheapest mods I've done to a unibody was to reinforce the rocker panels. Straight foward cut and add 2x4 or 2x6 rectangle 3/16 wall tube and weld/gusset/brace into the body.
Just make sure they don't fall off going down the highway.

good info. that's what i've been working on..almost done with front bumper and started on rear bumper today for ideas until i gather some materials. thanks for the input and BTW...does anyone know who, if any one here, sells/makes the 231/231 doubler kit...i can't find anyone who has that particular kit for sale. i know the 231/300 kit is out there but i already have several 231s and several 249s and a 242 sitting around the shop so thought i would just do another doubler with what i have. any information on who has/makes this kit would be awesome. thank you all input.

Chain to chain isn't a good idea on a doubler. Pesky physics at play again.

i know all the details that it's not as good as 231/300 but i've done it once and since i'm pretty easy/slow on the throttle i will make due and like i said i have so many laying around why go spend money on d300 and such. any info on kit though?

guys i get it..i get it..231/300 is the way to go..I KNOW THAT. not trying to be rude but i'm getting same answears here and not helping..i'm looking for the 231/231 kit for sale..i have so many T-Cases laying around why would i go buy another one..plus i think i'll take the 6planetaries out of the 249s and put in the 231s which will increase it's strength a bit from what i've read and i've had this done once and i loved it but that guy quit selling them so that's why i'm asking if anyone here makes/sells the kit.

If it was mine I would sell some of those extra 231 cases you have laying around to fund a 300 doubler set up.

thought to do that put 2 231 gives lower crawl ratio than the 300 so i like that option better and don't really care for the "front dig" option of the 300 nor do i care to have to deal with the 300 flip which makes the shifters a pain in the arss...the last 231/231 was very simple to install, simple to do the shifters, simple driveline, simple floor board modification so i really just want to stick with that and maybe swap planetaries this time though...ok so since we're into this discussion now...can that special but yet very simple plate not be made by someone with machine shop and then just buy a input shaft...i'm really confused as to why from all my research what the fuss is about these kits and why they are so "special" and "hard to find/make" I'm by no means knowledgeable in the "machining" world but wouldn't thinks that big a deal to make a 3/8" thick flat plate with holes for bolts and big round hole in center cut out.. It's a shame that guy Duffy doesn't sell them anymore. dam

Greetings Mr Fuller. Got to ask the obvious question. Why not re gear the axles first?
A doubler gives you more options in an off road situation yet does not help a bit on pavement.
Most xj axles are geared 3.55. It would be a dog on 35" tires.
I suggest 4.56 or 5.13 gears to start, then t case upgrades if needed.
But i am kinda new to off roading..........

good point but I've never geared for several good reasons that i got taught long time ago...bigger gears means weaker carriers.period. i don't drive much on road anyways but i enjoy the still descent gas mileage to the trails and back with stock gears. 3. once you regear you are screwed if you brake stuff...so with stock 3.55s i can just replace it for either free cause i have one or go buy one for 50-75 bucks and be back on the road. this "re-gearing" for the Jeep axles anyways is one of the reasons i believer and have heard from many that many off roaders brake the D35, D30, 8.25 and so everyone always wants to go D44 and up but not realizing the bigger gears come with a drawback of weaker system therefor not as strong. I'm sure many will probably bash me for this post but it's what i've been told by some way more knowledgeable than me who been doing this longer than me so i took their advise and ran with it. plus u said "then T case upgrades if needed"...that's the whole point of my driving style is I try to crawl slow speed through everything and if I can't crawl it or make it with rpms under 3k, than i just suck it up and move on so because of this reasoning i like the doubler setup ever since i was introduced to it years ago. And the guy who built it for me...he's the one who recommended it instead of gears for the "crawler" type driving style. most say crawler slow driving style is the "weak" or "woosy" way to wheel but hey...it keeps shit from breaking for me.

Save up $$ for about two years, barter, beg, trade, whatever you have to do and buy/build a set of properly geared 1 ton axles (60 front 14 bolt or Dana 70 rear) and you'll never regret it.
Initial cost is brutal but meh... Last set of axles you'll ever have to buy.

nah...what's the fun in that? everybody does it and then i would be like everyone else..just another boring xj with tons to look at. Sorry man no disrespect at all to the big mean rigs and trucks and crawlers but i just like the stock jeep stuff minus lift and tires and upgrades...i like being that guy that is different i guess and i think its WAYY more impressive when someone with stock axles on anything goes above and beyond what is "expected" of them to do or try and accomplish. for 14years now i've loved the jeep cherokee and all it's axles it came with, i've had fun with soooo many combinations of lift and tires and such and on the trail it does what i want and like. i just saw those pictures of the "Flats Run" this past weekend and those are awesome killer rides but why would i take a perfectly good XJ and turn it into that...I wouldn't have a jeep..i would've saved up from the getgo and just bought a 1ton chevy/ford/dodge from 70s and 80s and stuck some 44s on it and call it a day but i'm a Jeepster and always will be and even if I had money to spend...believe it or not i would still keep my 8.25 and D30 but put locker in the 30 and do other upgrades, probably 231/300 doubler with 4:1 in the 300 and some 37s and call it a day, lol.

its whatever floats your boat right...and the XJ in its stock axle and drivetrain form is my cup of tee. this one however i'm going to probably make the most stout that I've ever done. plans for it are: welded rear which is done, D30 locked, hydro steering, rocker guards, full exo cage of some swort (and no not trampoline frame, a little more HD this time), 231/231 crawl box with SYE, stick with 5" lift, stay with 35s maybe 36s tops, frame plate most of the rails front to rear, flat bottom as much as possible, stroke the 4.0 and .60over on 87-89 block with mild RV cam roller rockers, custom fabricate GM 3.8 supercharger to fit/weld on intake, stretch rear around 3" maybe 4, full long arms with better travel, tube the fenders way up for clearance,...to finish off a 8000lb winch and that about would do it for me to go anywhere i would want to tackle and have some fun.

I ran a 231/241 box4rocks doubler in a full size dodge ram crawler on tons and 44s and never had any issues. To the point that I am now putting it in my '70 Bronco crawler build. The 231/231 is also available and gets a lower overall crawl ratio.

ok cool..so who/where is this box4rocks adapter kit. please do tell. thank you

Greetings Mr Fuller. Got to ask the obvious question. Why not re gear the axles first?
A doubler gives you more options in an off road situation yet does not help a bit on pavement.
Most xj axles are geared 3.55. It would be a dog on 35" tires.
I suggest 4.56 or 5.13 gears to start, then t case upgrades if needed.
But i am kinda new to off roading..........
Ever feel like your talking to the kid that licks the school bus window?

I got to ask why stroke and supercharge the engine if you plan on just slowly hitting obstacles. Aren't going to get any wheel spin in double low.

nah...what's the fun in that? everybody does it and then i would be like everyone else..just another boring xj with tons to look at. Sorry man no disrespect at all to the big mean rigs and trucks and crawlers but i just like the stock jeep stuff minus lift and tires and upgrades...i like being that guy that is different i guess and i think its WAYY more impressive when someone with stock axles on anything goes above and beyond what is "expected" of them to do or try and accomplish. for 14years now i've loved the jeep cherokee and all it's axles it came with, i've had fun with soooo many combinations of lift and tires and such and on the trail it does what i want and like. i just saw those pictures of the "Flats Run" this past weekend and those are awesome killer rides but why would i take a perfectly good XJ and turn it into that...I wouldn't have a jeep..i would've saved up from the getgo and just bought a 1ton chevy/ford/dodge from 70s and 80s and stuck some 44s on it and call it a day but i'm a Jeepster and always will be and even if I had money to spend...believe it or not i would still keep my 8.25 and D30 but put locker in the 30 and do other upgrades, probably 231/300 doubler with 4:1 in the 300 and some 37s and call it a day, lol.
Well the simple answer is NOT BREAKING. 10 years ago I had a Cherokee with stock axles and 31s and I would drive it to gulches and wheel with guys with 35s and 37s and do well. It was fun for a while until I thought 33s would be a nice touch... The stock axles didn't. I got tired of being "that different guy" who had to get winched out of trails and thumbing for a trailer ride home and being late for work the following Monday because I stayed up fixing all the broken crap. Fast forward through the years I ran 44/9 combinations on 35s, 36s, 37s and so on, wheeling places as far away as TN, AL, KY, etc. I had fun because it made the street drive safer and more enjoyable and I was equipped for what I was doing. Today that game has stepped up even farther and I still enjoy driving to places and wheeling.

Back