Your interesting thing for the day

The thing I'm most curious about is the process and timescale. People make it sound it will be a snap of the fingers POW kind of thing, but I'm not so sure. I'm not a geomagetothermologist but if the poles are created from the electrical flux in all that iron, and the shift is from the iron moving around, in such a large scale wouldn't it at least take days? Or longer? "sudden" in geological terms which are usually thousands of years as a small tick on the scale could be like a year, right?
If so imagine what THAT would be like for us.
Everything I've read or watched on the topic says it won't be an instant snap. Instant in the grand scheme, but in all actuality it will likely be years.
It'll take a few wobbles of our axis to get the flip completed I'd imagine so that equates to years in my mind.
You guys have obviously never had a finger near rare earth magnets when they decide it's time to mate.

The thing I'm most curious about is the process and timescale. People make it sound it will be a snap of the fingers POW kind of thing, but I'm not so sure. I'm not a geomagetothermologist but if the poles are created from the electrical flux in all that iron, and the shift is from the iron moving around, in such a large scale wouldn't it at least take days? Or longer? "sudden" in geological terms which are usually thousands of years as a small tick on the scale could be like a year, right?
If so imagine what THAT would be like for us.
Had a professor that was brilliant (because we all not not all of them are even as bright as a 20W bulb) that hypothesized that the Earth could have a multi-pole field rather than a simple dipole during the shift. THAT will do some weird stuff for sure. How long? Who knows. He also speculated on the order of decades, if not even just years. Definitely not a 'snap'.

You guys have obviously never had a finger near rare earth magnets when they decide it's time to mate.
It's pretty violent. I unfortunately got bit when I was playing the "Hey y'all, watch this!" with a pair of them, one on either side of my hand and was amazed at the pull from magnets so small (roughly 1/2" wide and 3/4" long oval). Then one rolled and bit me. Whoops.

So I continued playing with them on the desk at work. Seeing how far away one would attract the other, and see if I could get it to turn/jitter/whatever.....the repeated collisions unfortunately caused one to explode into shards. Oops, my bad. lol :lol:

I've never worked with molten magnets the size of the earth's core, no.

I've never worked with molten magnets the size of the earth's core, no.
there is a Yo mamma joke in here somewhere but im too tired to dig for it

That MIT report @Andy J. and I word talking about today was probably right for the wrong reasons...

That MIT report @Andy J. and I word talking about today was probably right for the wrong reasons...
So just after I retire but my kids are still young enough to be helpful. Perfect!

Musk’s words on it seem to resonate. He says AI will not really think of humans any differently than we think of chimps. If chimps were to suddenly begin to cause world shaking/damaging behavior or events we would reel in the chimps.

This is a game changer

You sure this isn't an April fool's article?
"says Michael Strano, the Carbon P. Dubbs Professor of Chemical Engineering at MIT and the senior author of the new study."
:laughing:

This is a game changer

So they've found a way to make plastic sheets that are like corrugated cardboard... (And impermeable to gases and liquids)... I do think it's a big deal but I'm not sure it's a game changer, It sounds like the usage case is to still use other materials as the basis for structures and 'things' and then put this stuff over it to add a layer of lateral strength and environmental protection...

The use I want to see is in packing materials, You could drive people crazy with a sheet of unpopable bubble wrap ;)

You sure this isn't an April fool's article?
"says Michael Strano, the Carbon P. Dubbs Professor of Chemical Engineering at MIT and the senior author of the new study."
Taken from the MIT ChemE faculty page...

Screenshot 2022-02-03 080549.jpg

EDIT: Added link...

EDIT Again: I actually thought Carbon P, Dubbs was fake and this was an April Fool's article, so I did a quick web search. I'll be damned, it's not fake! LOL!

So they've found a way to make plastic sheets that are like corrugated cardboard... (And impermeable to gases and liquids)... I do think it's a big deal but I'm not sure it's a game changer, It sounds like the usage case is to still use other materials as the basis for structures and 'things' and then put this stuff over it to add a layer of lateral strength and environmental protection...

The use I want to see is in packing materials, You could drive people crazy with a sheet of unpopable bubble wrap ;)
Thats only because the current approach for forming the materials requires an initial substructure to apply it to. And there is no theoretical limit to the thickness, so eventually you could form it in large solid sheets or even blocks.
But even then imagine that cars could now use this as the body or even chassis structure, pretty major weight savings.

Thats only because the current approach for forming the materials requires an initial substructure to apply it to. And there is no theoretical limit to the thickness, so eventually you could form it in large solid sheets or even blocks.
But even then imagine that cars could now use this as the body or even chassis structure, pretty major weight savings.

I thought the big deal was to get away from oil? lol

I didn't see anything in the article about sources for the polymers, but if they can be derived from a Bio source, and made easily disposable, THEN it has a chance to be a game changer, but if we have to use fossil polymers, and have old fenders floating in the ocean for eternity, It's a non starter. Without more info, I see a lot of hurdles to be cleared yet..

Taken from the MIT ChemE faculty page...

View attachment 366393

EDIT: Added link...

EDIT Again: I actually thought Carbon P, Dubbs was fake and this was an April Fool's article, so I did a quick web search. I'll be damned, it's not fake! LOL!

And more info on Carbon Petroleum Dubbs, son of Jesse and Jennie Dubbs (can't make this stuff up!):

TLDR: Any Jis is better than Phillips.
Truth.
Not just Philips. I have yet to find any case where JIS is not superior to ISO or any E-spec metric design.

Back