Your interesting thing for the day

Best video I've seen in a while. I want the powder to play with.
You must not have heard the cost.

There are other powders that cost less and are a wilder time

They said by the ounce it costs most than gold.

Now that might be the finished product due to mfr costs

I am more interested that this is a thing than the actual thing

There are other powders that cost less and are a wilder time
3 days straight was no big feat to get by with no food or sleep.....

That was a long article just to say that people use the word interesting too often and that it leads to lazy writing. Like the word very

I find all this very uninteresting.

I could write a whole ton about why this is really cool and neat to see from a technical standpoint, but not at all interesting or groundbreaking from a scientific view... but for now I'll just enjoy my beer and pas it along

ok so monkeys playing games w/ their brains wasn't enough... how about DYI chainsaw robot arm?

ok so monkeys playing games w/ their brains wasn't enough... how about DYI chainsaw robot arm?

This guy is one of my new recent favorites. We've been working through his back catalog over the last few weeks.

Also, Jeremy Fielding finally has a new video out. He's been building an articulated arm:

Y'all promise me there will be discussion about the ramifications of this after booze this weekend

Y'all promise me there will be discussion about the ramifications of this after booze this weekend
Had a few discussions concerning this in several of my Physics classes in school. At first, most students reactions were the proverbial OMG's and the like. But then after some discussion, beyond the potential firestorm that satellites might be under during the physical switch, the change would be so simple (speculating, of course) as re-calibrating the navigation of satellites....now, I have no clue as to what is involved in the calibration/programming of satellites/GPS, but the ones I wonder about are those that still use the ol' skool map and compass. Perhaps everything these days is GPS, but "back in my day," the day and night land nav courses at the MCRD and SOI were pass/fail. "Pass" was for those who hit all of their dozen plus target coordinates and made it back...."Fail" was for those that missed one, was out for hours beyond the deadline to return, or perhaps had to go get searched for. :laughing: There wasn't any option for "well, you tried. Have a cookie."

As for wildlife that uses the magnetic field for navigation....they're pretty much forked until they figure out that they're lost/bassackwards. Which really sucks for them.

Had a few discussions concerning this in several of my Physics classes in school. At first, most students reactions were the proverbial OMG's and the like. But then after some discussion, beyond the potential firestorm that satellites might be under during the physical switch, the change would be so simple (speculating, of course) as re-calibrating the navigation of satellites....now, I have no clue as to what is involved in the calibration/programming of satellites/GPS, but the ones I wonder about are those that still use the ol' skool map and compass. Perhaps everything these days is GPS, but "back in my day," the day and night land nav courses at the MCRD and SOI were pass/fail. "Pass" was for those who hit all of their dozen plus target coordinates and made it back...."Fail" was for those that missed one, was out for hours beyond the deadline to return, or perhaps had to go get searched for. :laughing: There wasn't any option for "well, you tried. Have a cookie."

As for wildlife that uses the magnetic field for navigation....they're pretty much forked until they figure out that they're lost/bassackwards. Which really sucks for them.
Just repaint all the compass needles and we're good to go!

I'm ready to see auroras in the south while its mid shift.

And we will have to dress like this ..
Screenshot_20210916-095406_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'm ready to see auroras in the south while its mid shift.
The thing I'm most curious about is the process and timescale. People make it sound it will be a snap of the fingers POW kind of thing, but I'm not so sure. I'm not a geomagetothermologist but if the poles are created from the electrical flux in all that iron, and the shift is from the iron moving around, in such a large scale wouldn't it at least take days? Or longer? "sudden" in geological terms which are usually thousands of years as a small tick on the scale could be like a year, right?
If so imagine what THAT would be like for us.

The thing I'm most curious about is the process and timescale. People make it sound it will be a snap of the fingers POW kind of thing, but I'm not so sure. I'm not a geomagetothermologist but if the poles are created from the electrical flux in all that iron, and the shift is from the iron moving around, in such a large scale wouldn't it at least take days? Or longer? "sudden" in geological terms which are usually thousands of years as a small tick on the scale could be like a year, right?
If so imagine what THAT would be like for us.
Everything I've read or watched on the topic says it won't be an instant snap. Instant in the grand scheme, but in all actuality it will likely be years.

It'll take a few wobbles of our axis to get the flip completed I'd imagine so that equates to years in my mind.

Everything I've read or watched on the topic says it won't be an instant snap. Instant in the grand scheme, but in all actuality it will likely be years.
yeah so think about what kind of chaos that is gonna cause. For us AND the animules.

yeah so think about what kind of chaos that is gonna cause. For us AND the animules.
The animals that rely on the magnetic fields for navigation were probably around for the last flip. They will survive the next one. We, as a species, were also around. We survived. If it causes a technological "reset", the only thing I'd really miss is watching hockey games on tv. Basic electrical things on earth shouldn't be affected.

Back