Will Carter's new ride from Right Side Performance...

That little 4" crank works miracles in my book. Sounds like its gonna be a nice setup.

I'm curious on trans temps with a heat exchanger. My trans has always stayed much cooler than the water but engine oil temps get warmer.

So what prompted the new engine build? The 415?
I hope your brakes are good!

Im really interested to see how the water/oil cooler deal works out. What are you guessing the temp difference is between the two fluids?
I blew one up. Had to build another. And I got smoked at Crandon. Even if my car was 100% without all the troubles I don't know if I could have driven it in the top 5. There is some serious power in the class now. You don't really realize it until you post up beside 15 of your peers and an old man says Go!

It's a 408. Evidently the piston gets quite unstable with a 4.125" throw. I gave up 7 ci to have a stable piston at the bottom and hopefully have strong full season motor.

I don't know what the difference will be really. If everything stays at 195 degrees I'll be quite fine with that. The old air cooler seem to cool fine but there was lots of fluctuation when you really started getting on it. It would spike high during high speed pulls on the trans.

Wow, you don't mess around!

What do ya expect from out of Morganton???

Will, gotta ask- what were they doing to the ARB w/the lathe? Looks like a fair amount of work for some reason unknown to me.

I think you are going to love the new cooling setup!

What do ya expect from out of Morganton???

Will, gotta ask- what were they doing to the ARB w/the lathe? Looks like a fair amount of work for some reason unknown to me.

I think you are going to love the new cooling setup!
The Hi9 has a load bolt for the back of the ring gear. You have to turn the case of the ARB down a little so the case doesn't hit the load bolt bushing. Only took me five extra minutes. Not a big deal.

a 415 or 427 is achiveable out of the 6.0 block, but there is a lot of work that takes to get it. many require clearancing and modifications for the extra .125" longer stroke, some of the blocks are not really cast with enough quality to achieve a reliable 415 or 427, and even with just an 1/8" more stroke, the piston walks around more and can give excessive wear...

408 is a good solid ci to build to and have great power, affordability, and reliability. Much more than 408 and reliability goes down, way down...

that 408 that Will built is the exact motor I'm working on now for the buggy :D I've picked up a few parts for it now.

Will, who did your work? I'd love to know, the guys down my way are a little clueless with the Gen III motors...

Will, who did your work? I'd love to know, the guys down my way are a little clueless with the Gen III motors...

I bought a 'seasoned' (read: used) finish machined block from Summit Racing for this one and I cleaned it up from there. It was already 4.030 and finish machined ready to work. I did clean up some casting flashing and pulled the oil ports to verify it was clean and did some minor porting. Other than being a little dusty I was pleased with the machine work and it came out perfect on piston clearance in every hole. Mains were still good and straight as well.

Dan Glad of Glad Precision in Floyd, VA usually does all the machine work but he was backed up busy when I was ready to build and we weren't going to ask him to squeeze us in when he's got $40 and $50k motors to build waiting in the floor. I put this motor together in his shop in case I needed some guidance, though. He also lets me spend hours on his dyno tuning. He's a huge help to us.

Brian Malloney in Martinsville, VA did the 243 heads. These were the heads off my LS1 with stock displacement and he cleaned them up again and got a little more out of 'em. He says they'd hang strong with most any rectangle port head out there right now so we just decided to keep 'em on this motor too.

Nice. I've never put one of these motors together and am considering doing the assembly myself....

No upgrade to the LS3 heads? any idea of comparison of the stock ls3 heads versus the ported/polished 243s? What intake are you running?

P and P 243's are gonna be better than stock LS3's from what I've read. PP 243's should be within 10hp of a comparable PP job on an LS3 head. If I didn't already have the 243's and have a cathedral port intake with injectors ready to go I would've found some LS3's though.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8431_7612632898_a52c5683bc_z.jpg

And then...

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8290_7612633060_f86aafec13_z.jpg

Coffin cooler, complete.

That wouldn't flow near enough water. And I don't see that style being used in any sort of high performance motorsports. Really that's the only answer I have. At this point I'm hoping this works. I've been told it should. We shall see.

Stupid question because I'm really interested in doing this for engine oil...

Where in the coolant system are you plumbing this?

Finally.

I've build this motor twice now.

First crank from Eagle (yeah, yeah...I know now) went in nice and smooth and when I put the ATI damper on there it slid right on. The snout was machined too small by about .0025. So that had to come out...

Texas speed took care of everything and upgraded me to a a Lunati and balanced it out again at no charge. Everything went back in at spec and she's ready to run.

We see what she's gonna turn on Saturday.:smokin:

Oh yeah, I was looking at my puney little LS6 throttle body and it made me sad. I took care of that.
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7260_7700856750_7ccc27f798_z.jpg

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7272_7700857050_a98b5801cd_z.jpg

Well I only got about two hours worth of run time on Saturday but I got a safe enough tune to put it in the car. It pulled 520hp at 5500-ish and 520lbft at 4300. I didn't even get to start putting timing into it though. I've gotta make new exhaust as well. I got a feeling these little Fbody headers aren't helping anything. But it runs strong with good pressure and idles solid but still sounds like a real motor.

Back