Twin Turbo 350 vrs Cummins swap

They are comfy, quiet (AFAIK the quietest of the big 3 diesels), reliable, and tow great! They are Chevy (or GMC) so, the Z71 sticker won't be out of place. What's not to love? Other than price of course but, if ya look around enough, there are deals to be found.

I understand being attached to a truck but, there comes a point when you need to cut your losses and switch to something that will get the job done!

The 1500 is gonna break down towing that much Jeep, that's too much weight. Assuming 6000lbs for the Jeep, and a pretty lightweight trailer at 2000lbs, that adds up to 8000lbs. IIRC, the towing capacity for a K1500 ext shortbed (I think that's what you have?) is at most 7500lbs so, you'd be 500lb over the limit. That's also assuming it's just you (no gear) in the pickup so that you are not going even further over the GCWR of the truck. Add extra power from a turbo into that mix and you have a recipe for disaster!

Okay, lets talk Cummins swap. First off, it's gonna be pricey and there are going to be a lot of little (and big) reliabililty gremlins to chase down with this complicated of a swap. But, it would be sweet. But, you are going to have to swap engine, trans, t-case, rear axle, and frontend (no way a stock 1500 IFS is gonna handle that weight). Even then, you are still stuck with a 1500 frame! Not gona work. So, then you'll wanna beef the frame, say ya fully box it, add crossmembers, custom mounts for the springs etc. WOW, that's a lot of work but, hey, it'd be cool in the end. But then, you have a WAY heavier vehicle than stock, weighing and towing more than it is rated at. If you get into an accident towing grossly over the original GCWR of the vehicle you are screwed. So, how to solvce it? Get the DOT to inspect and uprate your capacity. Okay so, tons more work to get it to where they would actually approve it and a ton of paperwork too, fun! NOT!

I know you are opposed to the idea of a new rig but, it will save you A LOT of headaches to bite the bullet and get something!

Buy a first Gen Dodge CTD (I was never partial to that body style)
Drop Z71 Body on Dodge CTD Frame.

Frame is rated for CTD and 1 ton, and it will then have the look you want (And a solid front 60 if you get a 4x4)

Then you can probably put the dodge boidy on the Z71 frame/drivetrain/ cluster fuck you have and sell it or what you have in thee Dodge to begin with.

Someone ele gets an ugly(IMHO) POS that Ricky built everything in.
And Rciky gets a real tow rig, a real engine and a pretty (in his mind) ride...

this was a quote from Ricky himself in a previous thread he started.....

ok so whoever put down in the books that the 350 in a stock 95 pickup from the factory makes 275 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque aught to be sued for false advertisement, there's absolutely no way and I have proof. I spent like $1500 buying a new 350 block that was bored .40 over, putting in a Comp .444/.444 cam and lifters, vortec heads with 1.6 roller rockers, alum intake manifold, 700 cfm throttle body, new high pressure fuel pump, 18# spring, custom tune, and misc . . . . . . .

Dyno'd at 190 horsepower 250 torque . . . . wtf? What a waste of $$, building small block engines is officially the dumbest thing anyone can try to do when trying to make power. And on top of that I have to buy 92 octane gas from now on :mad:

I can't even make my rear end break loose, this is ridiculous, I coulda easily swapped in a cad 500 for much less than that . . .
:shaking:

rick whatever you decide to do good luck man youve have some crazy ideas in the past.... and they are just getting worse:flipoff2:

Well while I was on my little week long "vacation" I decided to go to the Sparta Mud Bog Saturday (btw: you guys all have it wrong, doing mud drags in front of a several thousand deep crowd cheering you on is sooo much more fun than stupid rock krawling and trailriding :flipoff2:) Anyway on the way to the Mud bog the Z71 Broke down twice blowing the hose on the oil cooler literally splitting it from the heat of the oil (it was a new hose too, but I went and got some hose off a Stock car today rated at 250 psi so it should hold up from now on), also over heated trying to get up the mtn (at a max of 25 mph with the pedal to the floor btw) even with the big block 4 core radiator I have, and then the heat from the engine bay melted my airbag hoses that where a good 6" away from the exhaust which made the ride home oh so nice. :driver::Rockon:

If I do get another Truck its gotta be a Black dodge 4x4 dually 3500 with a extended cab and Manual tranny, preferably a service flat bed type setup with moderate performance mods already done to it.

If you find any Black 3500 4x4 5spd ext cabs for cheap I'd be interested :driver:

SEARCH newb, you ain't gonna find it here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...hash=item380041973415&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...hash=item290239502205&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

There's only 3 on autotrader under 12k in the whole US. Who the hell bases a cheap used vehicle on color?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

SEARCH newb, you ain't gonna find it here.

There's only 3 on autotrader under 12k in the whole US. Who the hell bases a cheap used vehicle on color?

Newb my butt :flipoff2: I've been searchin, trying to find local I'm just not comfortable with buying one w/o driving it first, then that one in wilksboro is a lil over the budget limit, there was one for sale just over the border in TN right near calliente that was perfect I bid on a lil while back but the reserve wasn't met he wanted 14,500 for maybe a 12k truck so that didn't work out :rolleyes:

Who bases vehicle on color - Why do you even ask why I do stupid stuff? Its what I do man, you know that :shaking::lol:

What it really comes down too is Z## stickers look best on a black background ;):lol:

Ok I will be completely honest here..

Cause Ricky you are just ticking me off..

You ask a serious question about which engine to go with.. but yet that last few pages people offer you good ideas and all you do is state I can not afford this I can not afford that..
I need that STUPID Z71 stickers on it..
I want it to be Black..etc..

Either turn this post into a real discuss or I am gonna close it.. cause it really gets old hearing your bullshit Z71 ideas somethings.. in this is one of those times..

well i was just joking about the Z## stickers and my ideas all got shot down so I had kinda given up on them, the 4bt i guess was a decent option, or putting my Body on a 1 ton diesel frame but thats ton of work, but yea I had just kinda chalked the twin turbo vs cummins swap up as another bad idea after the overwhelming its a bad idea either way response :shaking:

You guys need to lighten up, I mean we're all friends here, I'm just cutting offhand comments about the stupid stuff with everyone cause we're all FRIENDS, friends joke around with each other about stuff in conversation :lol:

But I mean I'll stop, don't wanna get sent away on "vacation" again :handed:. Like I said, was just messin around cause I consider pretty much everyone on here a friend, we're all here to help each other out, and wheel a little bit in between being broke down or building rigs :driver:

I don't think I said anything about not being able to afford stuff in this thread, just originally presented the twin turbo/cummins idea, it didn't work out, and I got alot of suggestions, The thread was pretty helpful to me at least kinda convinced me finally to just get a dodge as much as I don't want to . . . . :rolleyes:

trying to find local I'm just not comfortable with buying one w/o driving it first

I bought my truck from MD. drove up to test drive and look at with half of what he wanted in hand to give him incase i liked the truck. ended up liking it, then drove home and bought a grey hound ticket for the following weekend and drove it home. best eBay purchase yet.

But I mean I'll stop, don't wanna get sent away on "vacation" again :handed:.

I feel like I missed something entertaining..

Back