Twin Turbo 350 vrs Cummins swap

should i get a dually or SRW Dodge?

if you go bigger tires on a dodge do you have to regear?

That's all up to you. I would suggest SRW. Mine came with 4.10's stock, I actually gained mileage by going to 35's. Can still light them up at the push of a button as well if I were to feel so inclined/redneck. :flipoff2:

I can definitely understand not wanting to get rid of a vehicle. Especially one that is "special" to you...but damn, retire it to a trail/mud rig and spend your money on something that will be reliable. Just please don't put any z71 stickers on a ram.

NO, you can run 49's on the stock gears

Awesome, i was thinkin more like 54's thou still aight?

That's all up to you. I would suggest SRW. Mine came with 4.10's stock, I actually gained mileage by going to 35's. Can still light them up at the push of a button as well if I were to feel so inclined/redneck. :flipoff2:
I can definitely understand not wanting to get rid of a vehicle. Especially one that is "special" to you...but damn, retire it to a trail/mud rig and spend your money on something that will be reliable. Just please don't put any z71 stickers on a ram.

I was thinkin those military michlin 38's that are skinny for a 16" rim since there real cheap

this thread was kinda a last ditch attempt at the Z71 anyway I have been secretly hunting for a Dodge for a couple weeks now anyway :rolleyes:

Wait who said it was a Dodge that I'm Putting Z71 stickers on? Its just a Chevy Z71 that got gender confused and crossdressed in Dodge IMO, If i drive it then its a Chevy Z71 :flipoff2:

Just pull the 500ci Caddy out the Jeep and use it in your truck. Then drop the 350 in the Jeep. With the gearing in the rockwells you should be fine with a small block. And running a small block you might not have problems with blowing up transfer cases. :D
I really don't want to get rid of my 1/2 ton Chevy either just for the fact that I have grown attached over the years and it's treated me pretty well considering the abuse I gave it. Once I get an oil burner the 2wd 1500 is going up on rockwells and becoming a crawler.

nah man im just gonna re-cam the caddy to rev to at least 7 grand and let her scream throu the mud :driver:

I guess the Z71 will just get parked while im getting the dodge in running shape (ie: putting the Z71 sticker on :lol: ) then maybe i can sky high the Z71 like it should be anyway :burnout:

gotta find one first, course thats assuming i don't talk myself outta getting a dodge and into plowing on with the Z71 in the mean time ;)

Ok so im sure most of you will tell me im an idiot but in all seriousness

Well, let me be the first (today/tonight) to bestow the title on you... IDIOT!

Quit trying to polish that turd Z71 and get a REAL towrig... doesn't matter what it is as long as it's over 8600 GVW!

you know a 6.2 gm diesel will fit right in your Z71, and if you twin turbo that, you might be on to something. also, you may want to install a 14bolt drw axle...you can fit any size tire you need by simply inflating AFTER you bolt them on.

Talk all you want about the dodge but I like being able to go as fast as I want all the way up Black Mt. and any other long pull while towing a 15k+ load. It will cruise up it at 80+, but its not stock either so...and doesnt have the auto

Dammit i don't really care about which ones better anymore I know my Truck is not a dodge, Its more about for show now, I want to keep my truck cause when you see the POS Z71 Truck and Z71 Jeep you say "oh there's Ricky" Its all about image, i got it with the Z71's.

That being said I'm still not sure but i really don't want to go to another truck.

is 9.3 to 1 compression no good for a twin turbo setup? And seriously will the bottom end not handle 6 to 9 psi of boost? Everywhere else I've read says that it can . . . . .

Are you really going to twin turbo a truck that is towing a 6000 lb Jeep around with bald rear tires?

Thats kinda like throwing a set of rims on the car you just wrecked. They have to look better that the bent ones there now and they will change the whole wrecked mess into something that fits the bill.

I showed you a $1k tow rig when I was the leaving the farm. Its not glamarous, its not fast, its not Mall rated, but it is reliable, comfortable, and paid for.:shaking:

well the bald rear tires are more of choice on my part, i have a whole nother set of Hummer tires, i just really like having bald rear tires cause I can lite em up when I want with complete disregard :shaking:

My truck may not fit the reliable part so far, but it is comfortable and paid for . . . allthou my ac currently does not work . . . but thats just me being lazy and not charging it back after i had the engine apart a while ago.

Ok so it hasn't been so reliable up to date, buuut, now that I've literally replaced everything it should be a good deal more reliable in the future.

I like the twin turbo idea cause from talking to folks that have run both on trucks (maybe not in towing applications hence my asking for advice here) it seems that they are more efficient, economical, and easier to adjust.

I could supercharge it, or swap a Caddy 500 in, or a cummins, it just seems twin turbos are the smartest route to go from what I've read/been told . . . . .

Allthou I wouldn't be opposed to the cummins swap, cause I could juice the crap outta it and have like 1000ft lbs of torque in a Z71 :bounce::bounce::driver::burnout::Rockon:

guess I'd just need to add some more crossmembers to the frame for the cummins? I know someone mentioned frame strength above. then get a tranny to tcase adapter, and figure out how to get my guages/electrical to work

get a 4BT and but it in there with an auto. then juice that sucker up, WAYYY better than twin turbo. I always thought that turbos (in gas motors) were for HP, You want torque. The reason the turbos do good in diesels is because diesels can handle the boost. (this is all just from speculation, correct me if wrong) Sell the motor and get a cummins...

get a 4BT and but it in there with an auto. then juice that sucker up, WAYYY better than twin turbo. I always thought that turbos (in gas motors) were for HP, You want torque. The reason the turbos do good in diesels is because diesels can handle the boost. (this is all just from speculation, correct me if wrong) Sell the motor and get a cummins...

Well If I'm doin a cummins swap im getting a 5.9, but yea I just gotta figure out if it would be monetarily sound decision, and what snags in making it work that im missing . . . .

If you really want to throw a cummins in your z-71 go for it.

Figure it'll only cost you 15-20k to do it, but you'll have something unique as hell.

Personally I'd rather have that money for something else. Extremely modified vehicles are a never ending money pit.

There's a guy on pavementsucks.com who took his half ton dodge automatic and converted it to a cummins, manual tranny with rockwells and 46" military tires, dually rear. I think he has $30k or more in everything. It has sat around since last September.

If that's how you roll, go for it then. :beer:

xEveryone on Here....If that's how you roll, go for it then. :beer:[/QUOTE]

Good luck with it Rick !!!

how about a vortec big block suburban? i'm kinda considering selling mine and getting either a newer one with the 8.1 or an excursion. if you're interest, shoot me an offer.

If you've just replaced everything on the cheby, LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That way it will be reliable. (As reliable as a chevy like that can be anyway.) Buy a REAL tow rig and soup it up. The Z 71 is NEVER going to be a tow rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a half ton truck with a half ton frame under it. FORGET ABOUT TOWING ANYTHING WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get my point?

Just buy a DMAX! Heck, they come in Z71 package anyway! :driver:

Here's a shot of my 07 DMAX ready to tow my 87 Jimmy:
ai253.photobucket.com_albums_hh43_biglightblue87_155.jpg

Back