Twin Turbo 350 vrs Cummins swap

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Ok so im sure most of you will tell me im an idiot but in all seriousness what seems more economical, stronger, reliable, etc:

- swapping in a Cummins and dodge auto and adapting it to my truck

- Going Intercooled Twin Turbo maybe 6 to 9 psi of boost on my current 350, and beefing my 4l60e bearing in mind the engine and 4l60e i have now both have just over 20K miles since rebuilds so both are fairly fresh

I just think going twin turbo will save me so much more problems then trying to adapt dodge drivetrain into my truck, electronically i wont have to change much, plus i know that my current drivetrain is pretty fresh and stout rather then swapping in fairly used Cummins/dodge auto, that i won't know like i know my current setup.

Let the flaming begin :shaking: maybe there'll be some good opinions in the mix :lol:

And before you say go buy a new truck im not doing that, I have literally replaced everything on my Z71, the whole damn thing is fresh, and I know it like the back of my hand, the noises it makes, the vibrations, the way it reacts, its like an extension of me. The enemy I know is much more settling to me than buying a new enemy.

And before you say go buy a new truck im not doing that, I have literally replaced everything on my Z71, the whole damn thing is fresh, and I know it like the back of my hand, the noises it makes, the vibrations, the way it reacts, its like an extension of me. The enemy I know is much more settling to me than buying a new enemy.

Then why not leave it as it is? Do you really think that turbocharging it is going to make it any more reliable or economic? Neither the motor nor the trans were built with adding boost in mind. If you're really really stuck on keeping a halfton truck, think about a 4bt/th400 swap.

Just because you know all of it's noises and problems doesn't mean you would be any more comfortable or trusting taking that truck on a trip to utah than you would a 92 dodge. Why continue to throw money at it?

If you finally got it running good...Leave it alone or consider selling it...just cruise the mall and run parts...save it for picking up all those Hot Chicks....Fat chicks cant get up in it...

Then be on the Lookout for a cheap tow rig...maybe Turbo 7.3 or Cummins complete truck for when you need to haul the "Beasts"...:beer:

Ok so im sure most of you will tell me im an idiot but in all seriousness what seems more economical, stronger, reliable, etc?

Sell your Truck.. and Buy a used 1st Gen, or 2nd Gen..

all other ideas are just ignorant..and if you do not know why yet, then I am not telling you.

There's a BMW 2002 floating around out there that I had more than 40k in when I was about 21 or so. I got over missing the car after selling it, but the regret of dumping that kind of coin into it still lingers. There comes a time to let something go and move on, if you don't get the concept ask your 3 week g/f from the unfcross, she's got it figured out. :lol:
ps...I sold that car for about 9 grand.:shaking:

Sell your truck, get a dodge.

Ever read anything about running turbos? There's alot more to it than just slaping one (or 2) on your truck. If you must keep your truck, get a diesel.

There is NO comparison between a gas motor (esp a smallblock) and a diesel for towing, jackassing, and milage. No gas motor will make the steetable power a diesel will, much less run on real "alternative fuels" Gas is for the trail, diesel is for towing.

You guys suck :flipoff2: :lol:

I didn't think a cummins would kill my frame, thats a good point, going to a 4bt would be a downgrade IMO they don't rev at all and when im towing i get up there in the rpm's

I realize there's alot to turboing, like the intercooler, exhaust, fuel delivery, probably more

You guys don't think a stock bottom end 350 can reliably handle 6 to 9 psi of intercooled boost?

going to a 4bt would be a downgrade IMO they don't rev at all and when im towing i get up there in the rpm's
?
You really need to tow something with a diesel truck...it's obvious from you statements you never have. I pull a 28ft deckover with two rigs on it up Fancy Gap, to Harlan, etc....at no less than 65-75mph...guess what? IT NEVERS TURNS MORE THAN 2200 rpms. A turned up 4BT would run circles around most any gas motor and run on used motor oil/ ATF/WVO.Your twin turbo truck will only be cool until it blows the bottom end apart, that's if you can keep headgaskets on it. It would suck ass for towing also, why? You'd have to build the bottom end for lower compression (less torque below boost), that's of course if you built it like it needs to be. I'm done wasting time key tapping on this topic.

Don't listen to all of them. A twin turboed 12 valve in the Z71 should be the ticket for getting the girl back.

Don't listen to all of them. A twin turboed 12 valve in the Z71 should be the ticket for getting the girl back.

that is not what he said.. he said twin turbo 350.. which woul dbe a loud of crap when he blows it up

If only :shaking::lol:
I guess I'll just be another chump poser to give in and buy a dodge :shaking::flipoff2:

I understand...I really don't like my truck other than the fact it hasn't had too many problems. If Dmax trucks with 6 speeds were more common maybe I'd have one of those....I'll never have another auto for a tow rig (or PSD), so it's CTD for now.

You should put a 6.0 powerstroke in your Z71, best idea yet. I'll sell ya one on the deal.

Yessss, the best idea yet!!!!!! Turn a weak half ton gasser into a unreliable 1 ton ford diesel.
Really though you should ride/tow with a diesel and you'll see why the gasser revs so high is cause it can't make and hold the pwr/tq like a diesel will. Sell and buy a dodge or dmax or 7.3 turbo.

Back