The Learning curve XJ

Looks good from my area code.
That is because all the idiots down here don't know how to lift a truck! I'm not even going to go into the damn wheel lights I'm seeing these days.....

Just read through your whole build. I wish I would have started a build thread now...
This is exactly how I learned how to work on stuff, but I went the YJ route.
looking good man.
What are planning to build next?
:smokin:

Just read through your whole build. I wish I would have started a build thread now...
This is exactly how I learned how to work on stuff, but I went the YJ route.
looking good man.
What are planning to build next?
:smokin:
Probably buy a near complete buggy or full body rig on tons. Finish it out my own way. After crunching some numbers it's just more economical for me to buy something than build ground up. Plus I don't have a shop at my current house so that kinda makes me stay away from a start from scratch build.....
Although my neighbor does have a yj with motor problems and frame rust, and I know where some 44s are kinda cheap and a 5.3.... Maybe the making of a low cog streetable rig on 37s

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

e536bf454e8fc39d7f04a3a62e4a82ba.jpg

Pulled the front apart for some r&r
Got some new knuckles, inner c trusses and found out I'm getting new ball joints as well.

Well shit.... Good thing it broke on the last trail of the day... I also lost oil pressure and still seems like it's not keeping pressure where it should be
4cd100fd4ecfa0a4fcb9e95dfd66b83a.jpg
45546893c5a972bcd3d24af8ea947a7c.jpg

Somebody downhill mig welded that T bar bracket.

There you go, learned something else! Cut that stock junker off, plate the crap out of it and use the entire Barnes bracket!
That is the basic plan... Barnes has one for a TJ that raps both sides and bottom of frame and ties it all in. Think the xj frame is to wide so going to copy it but make it wide enough for the xj.

I'll update for @Loganwayne cause he's too much of a loser to do so.
At our Appalachian 4x4 trip to Harlan in August, he grenaded his front ring and pinion. I had the privilege of seeing to it that it didn't happen again.
I took it apart and made some measurements. The measured pinion depth was way, way off. 14 thousandths off. There was zero carrier or pinion preload and the pinion was loose in the housing.
I set it up to spec, replaced the ring and pinion and even added a Yukon ubolt yoke for him.
He's ready to rock and roll again.
IMG_20171015_161448_516.jpg

Back