The Learning curve XJ

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160112_efac2d7f3438808b67208b25f7c16cef.jpg
finally got the driver seat all finished up. Guess I'm ready for the flats not going to have time to do passenger until after. Like always day late and a dollar short

Had a blast at the flats Saturday. Beat on it hard. Came up the right side of easy street no problem, and came up zig zag fairly easy for how wet it was. Felt good to watch a group of "big" buggies struggle up it and one not making it and another not trying it. Later on in the day I also got called a shit box of a Cherokee. Then watched them winch what I just drove up. Was a little put off by it but then realized it really is a shit box nothing on it is done "right or the professional way" hell I can barely weld and I've done most of the welding on it and the welds do look like hell, but I gotta learn some how.

Any ways only damage was to passenger seat surprise I broke the floor mounts again so I yanked it and was half way surprised to see how bad the floor was rotted so I fixed it and started on the seat mount.
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160118_6db3d841b288f139940fcabf3f70c60e.jpg
probably should have replaced the whole pan.

Also still need to order limit straps, and make something to hold my coils in better. And I'm adding a hockey puck to add to the bump stops up front then I should be about right.

Got my passenger seat in and been riding around in the snow.

I know I need limit straps, but not sure where to mount them. I have the jks post eliminator and a IRO pin eliminator kit on the bottom. will I be alright to mount the straps to the top and bottom or am I going to make to brackets just for the straps

In the past, I have used a LCA mounting bolt or even welded a tab to the top of the control arm. On the frame end, I've run a through bolt or you can use the post eliminator bolt.

I had thought about the LCA but they are on the underside and will wrap the axle tube a little and possibly get rubbed on rocks. I can also add a tap to the back of the shock and spring plate since its still on a Dana 30

If you put them on the shock mounts it will eventually pull out the sheet metal .
Weld some tabs on the control arms and then sleeve a tube through the uni body and a long bolt or if you don't mind them being further back you can use your old upper control arm mounting holes but I prefer just behind the shock.

That and the 77-79 are my favorite body style.

My dad had a 65 F250. Thing was awesome, wish he'd kept it. Mom had a 77 F150, silver and spotless. I later wound up with a 77 F150 4x4, wasn't very street worthy. But I've always wanted a 65ish or 77ish 2wd to fix up for driving, maybe a modern mustang motor or do the unmentionable and drop an LS motor in it.
My buddy @Noel is doing a 72 right now. Crown Vic front suspension, explorer 8.8 rear. Gonna look real good and drive real nice.

Crown vic swap and an 8.8 are on the board....as well as a turboed ls possible a 351 Windsor turboed. BUT that will be a while gonna get it running and start doing some body work for now until I get done with school

Well got the old truck running and driving so time to bump this back up. I've been collecting parts for the next step for a while. Got almost everything I need so figured I'd bump it back up with a couple questions as well.

Plan on clicking my 231 transfer case any common problems to look out for. Already have an aftermarket transfer case shifter.

Is there any downside/ problem with solid mounting my transfer case to the new cross member it couple possible allow me to put the bar higher that what I was originally planning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So put off doing work on this for a while but I spun a driveshaft in half at the shop. Came home and got to work.
c2de8811530bc150abc68a8901a6ab89.jpg

I made a new cross member and installed my 231 with a hack and tap on it, also added a clocking ring to flatten out the underside. Didn't work out exactly how I wanted but will work. I also took the axle out to put new axle seals in it and install a truss. I've also added an anti wrap bar. Hopefully that will help with the axle roll. Waiting on a new rear driveshaft to show up. Have to reinstall the axle and weld on some mounts for the fox shocks I picked up. If everything goes right I'll be at the shop for the toy ride.
f8b243b06b74aa8d2ffafd8f79797f19.jpg
88cca01710bdd9ec277d9a3e916cf208.jpg

When I pulled the cover saw my mini spool was trash... so new one went in and I'm gonna give it hell and see what happens.
653284301300d796820217b227d7e662.jpg
264166030d912cf9a5b87853a9ccf50d.jpg

5f6134377bcf21e289d7a1147cd6d5d2.jpg
ce0aea55439db81ce07974a1154cd95b.jpg

Driveshaft showed up and found out my shocks are to long so will be changing them out when money allows for some new ones.

Went wheeling in windrock.... Over headed my transmission with a kinked cooler line.... Figured that out and beat on it all day.
5cf7eeb8100dfca4f1cf507a6ab4e555.jpg
3e1c6b18aa3d7cf3b1dde7d2ed807cb4.jpg
1b2016d0fc6a4653ce317d29f945cdbe.jpg
7bd1de078101a78254198ea3e4bb7e9b.jpg

Finished off my steering box and possibly the pump and figured out I gotta redo my cross member

So I was tired of being a lazy ass we got a ride on new years it's not raining not freezing cold, finals are almost over, last project bids Friday. And ive got a pile of parts in my garage time to get busy

5ad8ef988d44fcb5a3f11c5874d70b06.jpg

Started my new steering and hydro assist and got lazy and finished it the morning the last time it snowed when it was in the teens at my house. Took it to the shop and tried it out and it worked pretty good. Had some clearance issues but I think some offset hiems from Barnes will fix them. They are sitting on the table so probably work on them tomorrow.

I've been wanting to put a hybrid cage in the jeep for a while been waiting for the money and timing to hit together.... Well it was the right time and I had the money..... And then I went fishing with a buddy and remembered how much I missed being on the lake..... So this came home with me today for a steal of a deal
IMG_20170128_160022459.jpg

So where is this said curve located? Looks pretty damn pro to me. ;)

Looks good from my area code.

Back