The Learning curve XJ

That could do it, But I know it doesn't take much of a draft. Maybe turn your gas flow up a little next time and see what it does.
Regardless it looks like it will be a beefy d30.

uploadfromtaptalk1444870449244.jpg
axle is hanging I'm so close to having it done for this weekend

uploadfromtaptalk1445210342072.jpg
went to the flats Saturday and had a blast jeep works better than ever walked up trails that I've always had problems from with short arms. Found a couple small problems to take care of in the next week or two.

One major problem Friday night when I went to put the trans crossmember back on I pulled the threads our of three of the 4 stock holes in the frame. This is the
second time doing it. (First time ripped off the crossmember at duramtown tellico) tapped and went to a bigger bolt. It was about 10:30 Friday night so I just welded it on for the time being. Obviously that wasn't the smartest choice but I was pissed. What I'm looking for is ideas on a tube based crossmember. That I can add a hoop to the front and rear later on the protect the transmission and transfer case.

uploadfromtaptalk1445210852196.png
uploadfromtaptalk1445210860616.png

I was thinking of something similar to one of these. Make the bushings plate out of 3/16 and add 2-3 gussets to keep it from bending. Question I have is a single tube going to be strong enough to keep the tube from twisting after I add the hoops and they take a hard hit from a rock.

I don't know too much about the XJ, but wranglers often run a setup like that. I don't know if the unibody will effect that though. I run a similar setup on my TJ.

I don't know too much about the XJ, but wranglers often run a setup like that. I don't know if the unibody will effect that though. I run a similar setup on my TJ.
It's frame plated now and planned on adding a good sized plate to where I was gonna attach it. I'm concerned that when a rock hits the front skid it will flex up into the trans pan or vise versa.

I want to end up with something like this but with a tube center piece
uploadfromtaptalk1445211345552.png

Ya thanks man it worked out great. I originally thought the same as you two tubes about 4-5 inches apart but I can't figure out a simple way to take them apart like a single tube

Plate the 'frame rails' and while doing so weld a nut to the inside when installing/fabbing the cross member so you have a good anchor. That failure cost @Spence and I an ECORS race in Auburn back in '11

Here is how I did mine.

ai16.photobucket.com_albums_b25_xjghost_NP203_20205_203205003.jpg

ai16.photobucket.com_albums_b25_xjghost_NP203_20205_203205xmember031.jpg

Plan was to run a second tube behind the 205 but I've never gotten around to it.....

The rest of that junk is in here: NP203 205 by Glenn Fulmer

Well time for an update haven't done much to it in a while except add longer brake lines.

Been stashing away parts for a while. For 231 with a slip yoke waiting to go in and a set of suspension seats and harnesses to go in and make a new crossmember.

But just got back from harlen and split my carrier in two in the lower rock garden, probably been weak since I broke a cross pin last spring and I didn't do it any favors last weekend fallowing rigs on 39 & 43 stickys everywhere
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160105_102e5d048fc13a5ce176f311e7651758.jpg

Also broke a unit bearing trying to figure out where to get a better 27 spline unit bearing cause this is the 3rd one I've wore out this year
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160105_c33e129e312a1f4278a40c86f2d673c5.jpg

Not too many options for better 27 spline unit bearings. Can always get some quality ones and warranty them frequently.

As far as the carrier goes, a full case locker would be ideal if the budget allows. Otherwise just grab a new one and call your old one a wearable item.

I've been warranting them out gonna see today if they have a better one. Gonna grab a new case and roll.
I finish school next spring and them I'm building something else and let the girlfriend drive it and shes not gonna beat on it like I have lol

Yeah the unit bearings suck for anything 33" and up as far as tires. Get some good merican' made ones with Timken bearings, no Chinese knock offs. Learned my lesson on those!

As Jody said, check them often, soon as they get a little slop, swap them out on warranty.

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160110_04706992bcb9661c06b8b5938619999c.jpg
well got one bracket fully welded before I ran outta gas just have to attach it to the floor and should be good to go on the driver side.
Before anyone says anything I know you shouldn't attach the shoulder straps to where I did but its a short term fix till I get a change put in it this summer

Back