The Discovery Project

madcowdungbeetle

I'll try to update as I go with the latest work being done, but I'm gonna try to spend more time on the Rover than on the computer so we'll see what happens... and to go ahead and answer the question, yes I am insane.

And sooooo...

D60/D70

s003.JPG

Front axle about to come out

s012.JPG

Axles are gone

s010.JPG

Lee with "Latino Heat" and myself (smelly hippie guy)

s015.JPG

any rover is cool in my opinion. look forward to seeing this come together......

Nice rover project....you guys just come out of hybernation? LOL:beer:

Playing around with the front 60, my old tires, and a coilover... just getting a feel for the width.
s016.JPG

From the rear, up close and personal with the D70
s018.JPG

Not much else to report.. today was more or less final tear down and getting everything ready to start putting it together. I picked up some coilover mounts from Andy at CRS to save myself the hassle. At this point I think I'll be moving the front axle up about 3.5" and the rear back about 4.5" though that may change which would put me at about a 108" wheelbase.

Just a couple more updates..

Front wheel well cutting:
s024.JPG

Rear Openings for the coilovers:
s036.JPG

And here is the rear cut I'm thinking about making.. I've heard it called a "competition cut" or whatever.. I've seen it done on Jeeps.

s026.JPG

StudNuts said:
nice.

arent you friends with Jordan? Im going to tell you the same thing I told him, why oh why MTR's???

Yup, I'm a friend of Jordans.. MTR's.. because back when it was a DD/wheeler, they were a good choice. Those tires in the mock up are my 35's.

Now I'll be going 39.5" swampers, unless the gods of BFG want to bestow some 39" Krawlers upon me during this holiday season..

Awesome buildup man, I love seeing uncommon rigs cut into and built.

Quick question though, what are the specs (ring and pinion size/strength comparisons) on the stock axles other than the gears you already mentioned. And how much does a set go for? Or if you still have your stock ones, you willing to sell for cheap? Looking for something to build a little 4wheeling rig out of and will look other than Jeep stuff if they are decent axles. Dont know much about Disco stuff.

Either way, goodluck on the rest of the build, cant wait for more pics.

Leach

We'll I wish I had a more worthwhile update, but it's been slow going. Having a plasma cutter would be super sweet and sped things along, but getting all the brackets cut off the frame too longer than I would have liked and wore my ass out, using a sawzall and angle grinder for 2 solid days. I've been getting all the brackets cleaned up and drilled for bolts, and building the new front and rear crossmembers. Hopefully at some point I should be tacking it together.

Seems like as I go I find little details and things I want to take care of in the process rather than just let them slide by. Clean removals of brackets and old hardward and that sort of thing. I guess I'm a fan of a clean design and details.

Also my Rover steering box died the other night, came in to a huge pool of fluid, so I'm gonna go ahead and do a steering box swap, or full hydro.. not quite sure which, but it's gonna have to be one or the other.

One thing I have learned from this. Some of my friends are worthless. All of them gung ho about my project, wanting to work on it all the time. Notta one has come by the shop and helped yet, aside from Lee, who was major help in the tear down.

And finally, I don't know what dirty hooker cooch tastes like, but if I had to venture guess, I'm gonna say R134a is gotta be pretty damn close. That stuff is FOUL.

s058.JPG

s046.JPG

s059.JPG

leach said:
Awesome buildup man, I love seeing uncommon rigs cut into and built.

Quick question though, what are the specs (ring and pinion size/strength comparisons) on the stock axles other than the gears you already mentioned. And how much does a set go for? Or if you still have your stock ones, you willing to sell for cheap? Looking for something to build a little 4wheeling rig out of and will look other than Jeep stuff if they are decent axles. Dont know much about Disco stuff.

Either way, goodluck on the rest of the build, cant wait for more pics.

Leach

They're kinda Toyota/D44ish in strength, probably a little weaker. You don't want mine, I'm planning on taking advantage of Rover parts higher prices to help fund all this.

10-4, saw a couple fronts on ebay going for under 200, and I was looking for a Dana 44 strength axle complete if it was possible (low budget single seater project idea). But goodluck on the rest of it, PM me if ya need a hand with any work I would be happy to come out with another friend to help since yours is missing. Also in Charlotte Area, near Mallard Creek/Concord Mills.

Leach

Hey man whats up???

I have not seen you in a LONG time. I had my tahoe back when that disco was tiny. you and your dad were at advance auto parts that day remeber. Well good to see you are doing alright. Kool to see you do something like jordan did. The landrovers all modified on tons and stuff is sweet!!!!! His rig is amazing!!!!! Can't wait to see more pics and see what you do with that machine. HEHEHEHE!!!! Who would have thought guys would be chopping up LANDROVERS????:D :) My hat is off to you and him. DISCO'S are sweet!!!!!! have you seen the other one he helped make??? its ok.

KRAWLER

PS. How is Monroe?? HAHAHA!!!!!!:beer:

where is this beast located??? i wouldnt mind getting my hands dirty on a disco... let me know, i might be able to wrench/grind/whatever this weekend :D looks like a sweet project so far and the experience would be good to have since i am gathering parts for my linked/ton'd yota build :flipoff2:

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD said:
I have not seen you in a LONG time. I had my tahoe back when that disco was tiny. you and your dad were at advance auto parts that day remeber. Well good to see you are doing alright. Kool to see you do something like jordan did. The landrovers all modified on tons and stuff is sweet!!!!! His rig is amazing!!!!! Can't wait to see more pics and see what you do with that machine. HEHEHEHE!!!! Who would have thought guys would be chopping up LANDROVERS????:D :) My hat is off to you and him. DISCO'S are sweet!!!!!! have you seen the other one he helped make??? its ok.

KRAWLER

PS. How is Monroe?? HAHAHA!!!!!!:beer:

:rolleyes:

Back