Strongest full width axles

I would disagree, it is weaker yes. However because the ring gear is a bigger diameter it is not the strength of a d44. more of a d49.5

V
I would disagree, it is weaker yes. However because the ring gear is a bigger diameter it is not the strength of a d44. more of a d49.5
But still my point is why would you purposely put a weak link like that in a rock solid set of axles?

JC on here ran 7;17 gears for years never broke them. I think the weakest link is your style of wheeling.

No doubt it's weaker..

If you're stuck with having to go with a gear that low over something more reasonable, there's two options. Smaller tires or more power. And we all know which one is more fun. :flipoff2:

awww.focusst.org_forum_attachments_focus_st_vs_competition_48832c238c0ffa8352c78c7aaefb6553e3b.jpg

On the subject of 14 bolt fronts, I've seen recently a pirate vendor building 14 front housings made to order complete with center section (old or new style), 1/2 wall DOM tubes and inner C's for around $1400. In that case one could run all Dana 60 knuckle out parts and blank inner shafts 30 splined. Seems like a legit deal and I've considered it, but my LS isn't making that much power...yet.

Got a link for that?

Of course I'm not going to bash anybody for building something the way they feel is fit. I personally choose not to go build a set of beefy axles and then turn around and neuter them. Just my .02

If you're stuck with having to go with a gear that low over something more reasonable, there's two options. Smaller tires or more power. And we all know which one is more fun. :flipoff2:

View attachment 164903
Actually, we all now know what your opinion of more fun is. To each is own..

Interested to know, what makes a D80 stronger than a D70 and a 14 bolt? I have a D80 in the rear of my tow rig and have always wondered what made it so strong.
Your getting into a whole other long conversation. Just search on Google Dana 80 vs 14 bolt and you can get all the info you would ever want. To give a quick summary, the Dana 80 is a newer axle designed to be stronger.

JC on here ran 7;17 gears for years never broke them. I think the weakest link is your style of wheeling.

No doubt it's weaker..
Must have been wheeling those nasty speed bumps at target to need such a low gear.

Wheeled with that Jeep of JC's a few times. That was back in the day before everyone was convinced you had to have wheel speed to ride in the southeast. That thing went really darn well. Patience and a little gearing went a long way.

Also JC had 4 angry squirrels under the hood. :D

Did I just go full retard?
that's funny and the best part of this thread, cause I can fully relate. My mouth outruns my brain sometimes and on the phone I sound "uh lets say truly uneducated". Then I spend the next fifteen minutes trying to prove I'm not a total dumuss.

Horsepower and 4.10-5.38 axle gears. If you need low gear, get it from the t-case.

I found a front axle off a 98 dodge 2500 cummins its a dana 60(not sure if its a 1 ton or 3/4 if someone could clarify for me and the width) for cheap, the only thing is its a CAD axle, there aren't locking hubs, so Im not quite sure what that means but all I need to know if it'll work on my Toyota sas project or do I NEED locking hubs

A Dana 60 is a Dana 60....doesn't matter what it came out of in consideration to 3/4 or 1 ton rating. The CAD axles aren't all that much fun to deal with. The aggravating part is engaging the slide collar to lock in the passenger side axle. They also have 4 link brackets all over them. It'd be a pain to put it under your truck. Not impossible, but you'd have a lot of work in front of you.

That's also a driver's drop axle. So there's another reason it won't work for you.

Sure it will, if that's what you want to use. It's almost the same as a GM Dana 60. The only thing I don't like about those axles is the external lockout hubs. If you bust a hub, good luck finding a replacement.

Back