Strongest full width axles

Hunter44

I have a 1995 Toyota Pickup that I plan on upgrading the axles on it in the next few months. What are the strongest axles besides rockwells.....Dana 60 front with Dana 70 rear??? Front axle needs to be passenger side drop. Thanks and God bless

Front being pass drop you need a ford dana 60. Dont rule out a set of take outs from an excurison or 250 with the dana 50. Also nothing really wrong with the streling rear other than few locker options. This for your toyota? If so that would give you the most bang for the buck and hp to boot.

60 front, as said from a Dodge or Chevy, upgrade at least the outers to 35 spline. The 70 is strong, but the 14 bolt is stronger due to the extra bearings for the pinion. The 70 is strong too, have only saw one broke, and it wasn't from a Toyota. Either rear will serve you well.

14 bolt with stock shafts and carrier and a 60 front with with stock inners, Spicer ujoint and 35 spline chromos will do the trick for ya. A lot of vendors have a stub shaft upgrade package for a 60 that include the stubs, joints, and hubs. Saves a nice chunk of $$ too.

"Strongest" full with would be custom 14 bolt front with rockwell outers & a 14 bolt rear
Just mt .02

On the subject of 14 bolt fronts, I've seen recently a pirate vendor building 14 front housings made to order complete with center section (old or new style), 1/2 wall DOM tubes and inner C's for around $1400. In that case one could run all Dana 60 knuckle out parts and blank inner shafts 30 splined. Seems like a legit deal and I've considered it, but my LS isn't making that much power...yet.

"Strongest" full with would be custom 14 bolt front with rockwell outers & a 14 bolt rear
Just mt .02
A steering front Dana 80 would be stronger but I doubt op is wanting to spend that kind of money.

And Dana 80 in the rear

They have better ground clearance than a 14 bolt also.

Interested to know, what makes a D80 stronger than a D70 and a 14 bolt? I have a D80 in the rear of my tow rig and have always wondered what made it so strong.

No need to build them....they'll handle a lot in stock form. If anything, do some 35 spline outers on the front and roll with it. You can score some tons for 1000-1200. Find some CUCV take outs. 4.56 gears and a Detroit in the rear. Bam, done.

$2k?

Well, considering a stock 60F/70 combo is about $1200 in take-out condition, you are going to see considerable costs above that to build it.

Gears
lockers
upgraded axle shafts
upgraded joints
3/4 ton rotors, brakes, etc.
labor.

front and rear set up with average parts, I'd say you are looking more like the $4k+ range depending on what you have to replace or how crazy you get with the builds.

Plan on no lockers, 7.17 gears, and leave it be for a while at least till summer when I'm out of school and can work steady

^Not to mention the strength of a Dana 44 r&p at that point.

Back