Project: I hate my stupid axles...@ROCKBOTTOM4x4...

Without getting into all the physics and engineering crap (that I'm sure I don't FULLY understand), he's got what looks to be ~7-8" of separation at the axle, but maybe 3" at the frame. This causes anti-squat numbers to go up.. more separation at the frame will lower the number. The more the links look like a triangle from a side view, the more AS you'll have typically. (A very broad generalization)

Honestly, the best thing that I did was download the 4-link calc and play with the numbers, and see how it changes things.. There are some good books that can explain what alot of the terminology means, usually accompanied by a big equation, which the calc does for you.

[disclaimer]
I'm not trying to sound like I know all there is to know about linked suspension, far from it.. But I have learned a ton from researching my own future setup, and have re-designed it several times as I learn more..

As much of an asshole as I am, I really do like to offer help to people when I can..[/disclaimer]

Rich said:
Without getting into all the physics and engineering crap (that I'm sure I don't FULLY understand), he's got what looks to be ~7-8" of separation at the axle, but maybe 3" at the frame. This causes anti-squat numbers to go up.. more separation at the frame will lower the number. The more the links look like a triangle from a side view, the more AS you'll have typically. (A very broad generalization)

Honestly, the best thing that I did was download the 4-link calc and play with the numbers, and see how it changes things.. There are some good books that can explain what alot of the terminology means, usually accompanied by a big equation, which the calc does for you.

[disclaimer]
I'm not trying to sound like I know all there is to know about linked suspension, far from it.. But I have learned a ton from researching my own future setup, and have re-designed it several times as I learn more..

As much of an asshole as I am, I really do like to offer help to people when I can..[/disclaimer]

The winch man, the winch...Don't know if you remember or not but I have a winch in the rear which pulls the axle up...without the winch this setup sucks as it throws my truck skyward on any move...but the winch...yeah...the winch...

These are the exact same links with the exact same measurements that were on my rear Toyota axle...and well...It works...I'm trying to remember what the exact explination of my geometry was when I built it but all I can remember now is that I indeed did have a worked out design and did spend some time on it before I slapped it together...

That's right, I forgot about the winch..

That's why I said "not necessarily a bad thing".. If it works for YOU and your style & rig, (like a bunch of the comp-buggies I've looked at), then go for it!

I didn't certainly wasn't implying that it wasn't thought out... don't get me wrong. :)

I run a center limiting strap for the same reason, because of the high AS in my current setup.

I still think that upper link setup is cool, I must have never noticed it before... dirt & mud tend to make everything blend in together!

Rich said:

I call BS.

Oh and everyone knows that center limiting straps are just band-aids...

:flipoff2:

now it's beautiful...

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 491
Not the gold again! Oh wait its bronze right? :lol:

That upper link is sick, you think you could do something like that with my RE LG system? I was going to do there tri-link, but I hate RE now and refuse to buy anything else from them. Let me know an approximate cost on it using my joints if you can.

Thanks Russ(orange Rubi)

farmboy said:
Not the gold again! Oh wait its bronze right? :lol:

Well...the scheme was inspired by a little ricer car riding around town...all black car and bronze wheels...but you can't argue the color on the can (gold)...so yeah...we'll call it black and gold...

RocksUnlimited said:
That upper link is sick, you think you could do something like that with my RE LG system? I was going to do there tri-link, but I hate RE now and refuse to buy anything else from them. Let me know an approximate cost on it using my joints if you can.

Thanks Russ(orange Rubi)

Yeah man, I'll do some figurin' and let you know something soon.

Why do you hate RE now? What made you come to that state of mind?

thebluyak said:
I'd be willing to bet the bolts got stuck in the superflex joint, cause that'll make ya cuss....anti-seize is your friend

good point, but that can happen with any bolts, not just RE.

Looks like its coming together. I also think the links are freakin SAWEET, and I'm digging the gold. I drove by earlier and saw you wrenching, any more progress on the 60??

I found while I was fabbing my links, that the RE joints, if you hit the end of the ball to assemble it, or over tighten it---it will sorta mushroom the hole, I had to run a rat-tail file thru the ends of mine (just lightly) to take the burr off the inside of the hole. This may help someone---just my .02

--Byron

RE hatred?

thebluyak said:

I just got extremly pissed about there customer service. I spent a few grand with them and they could care less if I got the right parts or not. Basically they were just Fawker's to me. I don't except that kind of treatment from a buisness. There products are good shit though, my jeep works great.

PIMP project. i saw your rig work at the playground, and now it is only going to be better. NICE.

RE was also terrible about getting me the right bracket for my leveling kit on the Superduty. They sent me 2 drivers side brackets, and then sent me 2 - that's right - 2 more of the same bracket. On the third try, they got it right. They might be dumb, but they make good stuff. The kit was sweet.
Back to the thread at hand...Looking good Will. I'll be up there next weekend, and can give a hand if you need anything. Might be bringing Mo's and Brandon's junk up there as well. :)

- Mac

Stopped in at the shop tonight to check out the progress, and I must say it's lookin good! Maybe I'll be able to afford to give you some business here soon. I hear something calling me, and it's name is "Tube".

maulcruiser said:
Stopped in at the shop tonight to check out the progress, and I must say it's lookin good! Maybe I'll be able to afford to give you some business here soon. I hear something calling me, and it's name is "Tube".

That's what I like to hear. Again, nice to put a face with the post.

Dana 60...

So after being busted by the cops for drag racing our Tacomas in the parking lot it's time to go to bed...(I totally smoked Nathans new 2001 with my 98w/132grand...totally)... :driver:

Attachments

• DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 564
farmboy said:
RE was also terrible about getting me the right bracket for my leveling kit on the Superduty. They sent me 2 drivers side brackets, and then sent me 2 - that's right - 2 more of the same bracket. On the third try, they got it right. They might be dumb, but they make good stuff. The kit was sweet.
Back to the thread at hand...Looking good Will. I'll be up there next weekend, and can give a hand if you need anything. Might be bringing Mo's and Brandon's junk up there as well. :)

- Mac

You just need to have the right vendor going after them for you.....;)

And by the way Will,I should have your axle shaft back by end of today, if not, monday.......

Back