Project: I hate my stupid axles...@ROCKBOTTOM4x4...

Will Carter

So...after kersploding what is considered to be the ring and pinion of choice for toyotas (V6 4.10)...I decided that I needed to change some things on this piece of junk...

Attachments

• clean.JPG
    clean.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,365
...and like any normal person would...i cut a fine axle in two...

Attachments

• DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00093.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,281
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,250
...fear not...for I bring you a narrowed Dana 60 to fit toyota spring perches with great joy...

Attachments

• DSC00097.JPG
    DSC00097.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,289
that what you were working on friday night? thought about pulling in and being nosy, but then the 105/421 light turned green. :flipoff2:

RufusTheRam said:
that what you were working on friday night? thought about pulling in and being nosy, but then the 105/421 light turned green. :flipoff2:

Nah...got these bad boys Sunday night and had all this done Monday night...

looks kinda out of wack to me....you sure you know what you're doing? maybe too many :beer: 's....it's all junk now...you need to just give them to me.

How much did you cut out of it? Looks good.

DK

:D It's awn now. Lookin good buddy.

shafts will be a stock resplined-er...

cut 3 inches to mach up to stock toyota spring width...narrowing this axle was less work than making my springs wider without a doubt...
...however...
cutting a perfectly good Dana60 in twine was quite possibly the hardest obstacle i've ever faced in my rock crawling experience...funny thing was...when I got the balls to do it...I pulled the trigger and it wasn't plugged in... :smokin: ...more fun to come soon...

note: project 'THE GLOVE' will be put on hold for a bit cause I like wheelin' too much...I'm going wheeling towards the end of November with this rig and these axles...think I can?...

oh yeah...here's the plan...
-Narrowed D60 (der her) - 66ish wms stock 4.10's with some cheap locker (got one?) sittin' under the Allpro leaves I already have in the front
-14 bolt with killer razor burn runnin stock 4.10's with a big glob of melted steel holding the two shafts together, CUCV hubs will make it sit at 63ish wms wms, this will be held in by the 3 link and air shocks I already have in the back...more to come... :smokin:

thecarman said:
Do you mean C&C hubs, as in Cab & Chassis? :D

Yeah...what's CUCV mean? I figured the two C's were Cab and Chassis or something...

CUCV was the designation for the Chevrolet military trucks and K5's. It stands for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle. I imagine he meant to say he was going to use the C&C hubs as they have a different offset on the hub as opposed to the SRW 14b hubs.

Got some more stuff done this evening...
...a clean, bracket free 14 bolt with a big chunk cut out
...a turned down ring gear (grinder on the lathe)
...and a 2" chunk of mud shovel

Attachments

• DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC00101.JPG
    DSC00101.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 626
That is some good work dude and some funny about the unplugged saw. What tires/wheels you going to run? Keep the pics coming, looking good. How much trouble did you have with the inner C on the 60 when shortening? I have read many posts about it being difficult. I'm going to be interested in seeing your plate job and diff cover on the 14B. I am too chicken to cut mine like that. How much do you estimate you took of the ring gear?

You need these now with the new axles:
http://muddevils4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269

DK

drkelly said:
That is some good work dude and some funny about the unplugged saw. What tires/wheels you going to run? Keep the pics coming, looking good. How much trouble did you have with the inner C on the 60 when shortening? I have read many posts about it being difficult. I'm going to be interested in seeing your plate job and diff cover on the 14B. I am too chicken to cut mine like that. How much do you estimate you took of the ring gear?

You need these now with the new axles:
http://muddevils4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269

DK

Wheels - H2 Hummer's (painted Bronze of course)
Tires - surprise...

drkelly said:
How much trouble did you have with the inner C on the 60 when shortening? I have read many posts about it being difficult.

DK

Please don't say you just cut the tubes and welded them back together.

wbcarver said:
Please don't say you just cut the tubes and welded them back together.

Shoot fire!...My buzz box welds will hold dem tubes togeder!...I sleeved it with some pipe!...

...no...cut off the 'C' ...beat out the piece of tube...beat 'C' back on tube...weld around C...It was almost a bitch...not quite...I've done more bitchy things...( HA!)...

...tonight I will be turning out some Dana 60 to toyota Dshaft pinion flanges...we'll see how that goes...hopefully I'll have a finished product to post up...

Edit: VA repreZent. I grew up in Martinsville.

How are you going to make the pinion flanges? Turn down the ears off of the 1310 yoke and turn out the center of the toyota flange, press fit it, then weld?

Tuite said:
How are you going to make the pinion flanges? Turn down the ears off of the 1310 yoke and turn out the center of the toyota flange, press fit it, then weld?

It's like my brain were talking aloud...yep...that's the plan... :driver:

One Dana 60 Toyota pinion flange...this is a temporary thing hopefully...I'll get a real one from HighAngle eventually...then again...i've done alot of temporary things that haven't broken yet so...eh...what the hell?...

...nice press fit...I'll see if I can hunt down a TIG tomorrow...didn't get started on it till late tonight...oh well... :smokin: ...

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 634
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 611
Back