Mid-engine Honda Buggy Build, FJ-40 axles

you better get on it son!The race is getting close!!

From the firewall forward (which is obviously behind the seats) is finish welded and painted. Will start final assembly of the front/interior tomorrow. Front axle is complete, dash is ready to bolt in, wiring has been started. Will try and post some pics tomorrow after I get some parts bolted on.

I said there would be pics, so here they are. The "hood" still needs to be attached, the two black caps in the center are for brake/clutch fluid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,408
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,383
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,346
looking good, are you is disassembling your transaxle for the spider weld up?

Yea, haven't done it yet, but I will when I pull the engine/trans out. This will be the 3rd Honda transaxle I have pulled apart to weld... Hopefully it's not as much of a pain as the 6 speed that was bolted to the civic engine. I have it a little easier than you though, I bet the auto transmission's are alot of fun to pull apart :D

i havent pulled it out yet..im paying someone to pull it apart..no way am i going to attempt that thing..
it wont ever shift again if i did it..LOL

Chassis is 100% painted (except for spots I may have missed), as well as a small patch of my hair (oops). The plan is to weld the spiders in the transmission and reinstall engine/tranny on saturday, as well as install the rear axle and all the parts. Looking on schedule to make the ECORS race, only thing I can forsee holding me up is the guy that is doing the engine wiring... Finally after 2 years is is nearing completion...

HAHAHAHA yeah after 2 years come on man!lol!Hey so I guess your not coming out to DPG on saturday??Hey you know anything about a winch line??lol!I got another question you wanna do some body work on the yota?I been thinking its time to bob it,just thinkin. Glad to see this thing about done!

Well the guy at Monster Motorsports apparently changed his mind and decided to throw me under the bus and back out on the wiring job he told me he would do... Can't say I'd recommend them to anyone from the way I was done. He told me a few weeks ago he'd do it, I called him a few times, he'd never started (said he had to draw up a schematic first), and now today he backed out completely. I hate empty promises...

Anyone know a GOOD honda engine guru that know about converting from OBD2 to OBD1 and such?

While no specific experience with Honda's. Do you have any information on the computer and harnesses your have and what you want to use. My chip burner setup will do honda chips I've just never had one I needed to fix. If your planning on chip work, I'd need ECM/PCU info type/year etc.. If its just harness stuff I'd need FSM or schematics to help.

I generally don't take on these types of projects for others but I'd like to see you get this thing going.

Talked to a guy in my neighborhood that is a Honda Tech, he is supposedly going to try to do it, not sure if he will be able to work with the time crunch though. He said if he gets a distributor, wiring harness, and PCM off an older (OBD1) Accord 5 speed he could get it running in a weekend. Hopefully I will hear from him again in a day or two, hopefully I can get him to get all the parts at a junkyard.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer Yager, may do some more talking...

if everything falls through....i have a wiring GOD that might extend a hand...Joseph Davis. He's a good friend of mine, but lives in asheville....he's the guy that did ALL of the beta testing for blake warner (uberdata) and is an og of pgmfi.org.....just let me know

I had a guy in CA build my ZC wiring harness. RockApe of pirate4x4 hooked me up with him. Cant remember his name at the moment, but he did a good job (not that i could tell since i havent fired the buggy yet.... but it looks clean)

However, i can tell you the turn around is probably not going to be as fast as you need.

Just a thought.

Seth

Talked to Peter @ Rywire a few minutes ago, now I just wish I had spent the $650 and gotten the full race harness from them instead of taking someone for their word that they would do something...

It just seems so easy, the guy @ Rywire said the race harness plugs into the PCM, then has about 20 wires coming out for gauges, ignition, etc. Basically a plug+play. BUT the turnaround is about 5-6 weeks...

IF I could find the pinout of the PCM that might help, but still would need someone really competent with Honda engines/programming.

Making the March 20th race is not looking good...

i put 60+ hrs in my harness,(was my 1st injection wiring job)
I was dazed and confused for a bit,but after it was done i can look back and say that it really wasnt that bad . Now i have a better overlook at what makes everything work.

Back