Mid-engine Honda Buggy Build, FJ-40 axles

Not really any progress to note, but I bought some skidplate material today that I thought was noteworthy. The fab shop I used to work at (RAM) had a auction (shutting down) so I went and spent the day watching some nice stuff sell for too much, but he had 2 sheets of 3/4" thick UHMW black plastic, 4x10 sheets, and a 4x10 sheet of red .040 aluminum. I bought it all for $25, there were also a few sheets of 3/16" thick black plastic included which might be good for skins or something. $25 for 2 sheets of plastic that would probably be $300+/each and a sheet of $70 aluminum...

Dash is in, floor is in (not bolted in, just mostly cut), front suspension is done (except for some bracing). Pulled the 1.5L out today, sold it to a guy from Clemmons, bolted the 2.3L in, still have to find a 5 speed tranny for it though. The 2.3L is a good bit larger, but fits, the rear motor mount is done (rear of buggy, pulley end of engine), the other mounts will take more modification. It's looking good though to be done by the next ECORS race!

here's some piktars! The trac bar mount on the axle still needs some bracing, I will tie it into the housing and the mount for the steering cylinder (when I get one). The winch could not be a tighter fit, about 1/8" away from the frame on the passenger side, and the brake pedal has zero clearance on the other side, it will probably leave some wear marks on the winch with some time, but shouldn't be too bad since the pedal shouldn't go to the floor every time it's pressed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,770
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,780
Yes the trac bar mount is VERY close to the shock, but I cycled the suspension and it won't hit. I had to do something to make the trac bar longer, I had made it way too short when I first did it.

The new injun! Made the rear motor mount (pictured), will try and make the mount on the drivers side fit tomorrow to be ready for a transmission.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,017
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 3,010
Yes the trac bar mount is VERY close to the shock, but I cycled the suspension and it won't hit. I had to do something to make the trac bar longer, I had made it way too short when I first did it.
The new injun! Made the rear motor mount (pictured), will try and make the mount on the drivers side fit tomorrow to be ready for a transmission.
attachment.php

attachment.php
how much HP does that 2.3 have over my 2.2?yours being a
V tec.....just wondering how much advantage your going to have over me..LOL

looking good,ive got to get back on mine again.

ok so when you use the honda trans, I dont understand because the trans is like an open diff realy there is only one axle that has power ,so how does that work if one is going to the front and one is going to the rear????

I looked for a spool, only thing I could find was about $525, which is way more than I'd like to spend. I would like to find a spool just because it would be stronger and less likely to fail.

I bought a transmission today, bolted it up by myself, still need to find a flywheel though. I hope to find another transmission so I can have a spare, since it only weighs probably 50-75 lbs and is relatively small, it would be nice to have 'just in case', plus, it would be easy to swap out since it's so light.

Thanks to Daniel, Greg, Jason, and JC for the help last weekend and today. I need to post up some current pics, but an update of stuff thats been done to it is:

Skidplate is cut
Power steering and radiator overflow resevoirs are mounted, power steering cooler and radiator mounted, tubework on the rear is finished, grille is mounted, dash is fitted (crooked holes and all :D), couple floorpans are cut to fit, lower link mounts are done.

The point is, it's being worked on and should make the March 20th race...

Look forward to seeing the finished product, let me know if you need any more help. I m trying to finish my pile but right now I am waiting for parts. So I am pretty much free on weekends.

you won't find a spool for that tranny........not for cheap at least. there's not much going for those trannies either, they're not very strong. you could, though, get an h22 tranny....and they do readily make spools for them, but they're still very far from cheap. pretty much NOTHING honda tranny related is cheap....

Thanks to Daniel, Greg, Jason, and JC for the help last weekend and today. I need to post up some current pics, but an update of stuff thats been done to it is:
Skidplate is cut
Power steering and radiator overflow resevoirs are mounted, power steering cooler and radiator mounted, tubework on the rear is finished, grille is mounted, dash is fitted (crooked holes and all :D), couple floorpans are cut to fit, lower link mounts are done.
The point is, it's being worked on and should make the March 20th race...
thats great your making some progress,i got burned out on mine,so after a few months break i started back on it.got it finally running,still a month or so before its wheelable
Hope to see it @ the race

I paid $160 I think it was for the transmisson, clutch/pressure plate, and a starter, not too bad I didn't think. I am keeping my eyes open for another, I figure if I wanted to I could bolt a spare on the buggy and haul it around, would be a rather easy trail fix to swap it out if it came down to it.

Hope to see mine AND yours at the race quickracer :D

So you sell your other buggy yet michael?You goin to DPG this weekend?

dash is fitted (crooked holes and all :D)
Go ahead, rub it in. I`m used to drilling bar tops not 3/16th aluminum plate. Dang hole saw had legs on it.:shaking:

It's been long enough since some pics were posted...
Last pic is a cover for the steer orbital, made out of a piece of aluminum from a motorcycle muffler I had cut down.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,602
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,648
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg