making the criminal flex, @ hoffmans fab and welding in concord nc

criminalxj

making the criminal flex, @ dons machining and fab. in concord nc

well decided to get rid of some of the xj, ie useless sheetmetal and tube it out, anyway been working on it since middle of last week and here is what i have so far, still have a few link bars and airshock mounts left, specs radius arm rear, w/ panhard, stock wheelbase, 17 inch big horn air shocks, full cage, w/ custom seat in rear for my 15 month old, aluminum fuel cell retaining stock sending unit, winch in rear to draw axle tight when needed, and some sheet metal work, eventually, well at least before the end of the season to cover the rear for winter wheeling, pics will be added until build is complete, so here it is so far,,,,
aug 09 046.jpg
aug 09 051.jpg
aug 09 032.jpg

and some flex,,, not to bad for 34 ltb's,,, 20 inch yota still has my milk though!!!!,,, couple more bars and some paint work tom.
aug 09 080.jpg

aug 09 082.jpg

aug 09 081.jpg

I think you will have problems out of your upper shock mounts

lil tube work, paint work, and fuel cell, then she's done for now,,,,,,,,, more tom. btw,,, 4 days work so far!:Rockon::Rockon::Rockon:

bungs cut through and welded an both sides of the tube, 3/16 wall,, and gussets to come tomorrow, so i doubt it but, anything is possible i guess!

Your shock looks like it's touching the tubing.

shock touching frame.jpg

shock is not touch the tubing it is 3/8 of an inch away, and i have seen drag cars w/ 1000 hp and single shear setups and they go down the track and don't break, if it breaks i will fix it, the rear setup is only temporary until the axle swap happens, not like i am taking a dana 35 non-c up moab or anything !!

Not flaming you, trying to help you make a better rig from others experience.

Drag cars are a totaly different application.

oh i understand and i see your point, its just i have yet to see a 3/4 grade 8 bolt break when only 2 inches are exposed to pressure,, the math come out 2 around 15 ton break, i have concerns as well, but like i said this axle will prob. only be there for 2 months at best, thanks for the input though !

Back