Lots of interesting news today

OK so I'll play the asshole here, for the sake of discussion.

People came into a state, and worked, and got paid. They owe taxes on the money made while working in that state. Most (if not all?) states with income tax tax you on the money you make on their soil.
Note - your "home" state typically doesn't tax you on it if it wasn't made on their soil. I know for a fact Maryland dosn't, there's a place on teh form where you subtract off $$ made in other states.

So... what's the big deal? Is it that we're assuming that people who voluntarily do work that is in the common good should not have to pay tax on their earnings doing that work?

Many thousands of people do seasonal out of state work every year.... how is this different?

The only reason it sucks is that NY taxes may be higher than their home taxes.

The article made it sound like it was a NY-only thing and that the details of it were somewhat unknown - unless you happen to be a labor lawyer from NY. There we go with that bias reporting again. :rolleyes:

Now I remember why I stopped watching the news.

People came into a state, and worked, and got paid. They owe taxes on the money made while working in that state. Most (if not all?) states with income tax tax you on the money you make on their soil.
Note - your "home" state typically doesn't tax you on it if it wasn't made on their soil. I know for a fact Maryland dosn't, there's a place on teh form where you subtract off $$ made in other states.

So... what's the big deal? Is it that we're assuming that people who voluntarily do work that is in the common good should not have to pay tax on their earnings doing that work?

Many thousands of people do seasonal out of state work every year.... how is this different?

I'm actually with RatLabGuy on this one, if they earned the money while in New York State, Then they should be paying taxes to New York on that income, But their companies should have been doing the withholding from the start. But they will and should have to file a New York State Tax return for 2020, Lots of people in my area have to do this every year becaus commuting from one state to the other here is common...

I'm actually with RatLabGuy on this one, if they earned the money while in New York State, Then they should be paying taxes to New York on that income, But their companies should have been doing the withholding from the start. But they will and should have to file a New York State Tax return for 2020, Lots of people in my area have to do this every year becaus commuting from one state to the other here is common...

I started typing something similar, then dinner was more important than finishing that thought.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you live on the border and live in one state but work in another, you pay income tax in the state you work. Unless there's something else to this, sounds like normal practice.

I'd agree with you if they were getting paid, because that's how the tax law works... but it reads like they were volunteers that basically had PTO from their actual jobs in other states that let them go help out in NY. Maybe I'm the only one who read it that way but that was the only reason it seemed out of line.

I'd agree with you if they were getting paid, because that's how the tax law works... but it reads like they were volunteers that basically had PTO from their actual jobs in other states that let them go help out in NY. Maybe I'm the only one who read it that way but that was the only reason it seemed out of line.

If they're not getting paid, what are they getting taxed on?

If they're not getting paid, what are they getting taxed on?

There are thousands of emergency workers here who've responded to requests by Cuomo and Mayor Bill De Blasio for help. Many of them are collecting paychecks from companies back in their home states, which allowed them to come to New York to volunteer.

There are thousands of emergency workers here who've responded to requests by Cuomo and Mayor Bill De Blasio for help. Many of them are collecting paychecks from companies back in their home states, which allowed them to come to New York to volunteer.
They got a check back home to pay for their travel, and weren't compensated to travel was how I read it.

If they didn't earn income in ny they dont pay tax to my.

But where it may get tricky are the conglomerates like HCA...If they worked for HCA in nc and went to ny...they are getting taxed at a higher rate and maybe not being paid by the ny scale

Last edited:
The way I read it was they were getting paid for the time they were working in NY (Not PTO), and if they were it's on the company they work for, It doesn't matter where the company is. The article mentions the companies have to register in New York, If the companies aren't reporting income to New York, the people won't get taxed by New York, and again that liability won't fall on the workers (Unless they were working on 1099s). If they weren't getting paid, there is no tax to collect, Finally, I Don't give a damn about Cuomo and Deblasio's inability to fund their schools in this context, unless the workers brought their Kids with them, and even then, that should be a property tax issue with where these workers and Kids stayed (Must have paid rent to bring a family!)..

Some folks seem to think Cuomo will ride in to save the DNC from themselves and Creepy Joe but he's not exactly covering himself in glory.

So even if they are being paid by their normal employer, they are still working in the state of NY. Technically, even if they were using their own PTO, that is still income (Paid time off) that is taxable.

I think people see "volunteer" and assume not getting paid. Which I also think is the spin added to get you riled up... I don't thin kyou're the only one reading it that way.
But really it just means that they are not regular employees of that hospital.

If they are being paid by their regular employer....say in NC....and go to NY for a week or two to work, they wouldn't have to pay NY taxes. Same with a traveling business man working in NY for a week at meetings and then headed home to his NC based job.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

When I was in the Army, I could either claim my hometown for tax purposes or where I was stationed. I could literally be stationed in another state for years and still be taxed based on my home state if I wished. I also didn't pay taxes when deployed.

Sounds like the elected officials there see an opportunity to line their pockets even more. The state is a floating turd.

When I was in the Army, I could either claim my hometown for tax purposes or where I was stationed. I could literally be stationed in another state for years and still be taxed based on my home state if I wished. I also didn't pay taxes when deployed.

Sounds like the elected officials there see an opportunity to line their pockets even more. The state is a floating turd.

While I agree NY is a shit hole...
Civilian rules differ from DOD rules.

For example. My company is HQ in NC and when I started here didnt have a SC nexus. Even though I 100% worked in SC and never went to NC I had to pay NC state income tax, AND SC state income tax. It was a tad more complicated as I paid NC then got a credit for tax paid to NC to deduct against my SC but the larger point remained the same.

Id bet @SHINTON could do a much better job explaining this one for it to make sense to all of us...

While I agree NY is a shit hole...
Civilian rules differ from DOD rules.

For example. My company is HQ in NC and when I started here didnt have a SC nexus. Even though I 100% worked in SC and never went to NC I had to pay NC state income tax, AND SC state income tax. It was a tad more complicated as I paid NC then got a credit for tax paid to NC to deduct against my SC but the larger point remained the same.

Id bet @SHINTON could do a much better job explaining this one for it to make sense to all of us...
State income tax is a joke regardless especially if there is any state sales tax. Im wondering how much NC pulls in with sales tax, income tax, AND a high as hell fuel tax. I kinda get why the fuel tax is high considering that last I heard (correct me if im wrong), NC had the most paved roads in the country.

So, they have the 2nd highest state road system only because of the narrow definition of "state road"....
With enough qualifiers, you can win anything!

Back