Just some junk on Rockwells build thread..

Saw this thing in person on Friday. Looks darn good. You can tell that a lot of work went into it. But the best part was when he cranked it up with no exhaust!

Man the exhaust in nice... Sounds great.. The suspension seems to work awsome and rich did a few circles in the culdesac and some crab walking down the street.. Very nice...

Great job rich..

Dude...that's sounds awesome! Very cleanly run. I like it! :beer:

Would love to see a good / final breakdown on the costs for the 2.5Tons?

Might be better in another perm/tech thread with sources of parts, calipers, or something?

(For comparing to D60 buildups...I know the 2.5 tons are supposed to be mucho cheaper, but maybe they end up nickel/diming you to death!?)

The ride is look'ng sweet, wish I was there to encourage 'more throttle' on Saturday!! [Since I got to watch yet another pinion break on ya last time I saw the FJ at DPG]

Sam

rocks can get pricy when you start trying to make them streetable with wheel brakes, manual hubs, etc. but to bring a d60 up to the strength of a rock you're still going to spend a lot more overall.

even fully built, you're still going to have inherent limitations that will always make the 1 ton weaker such as ring/pinion size etc.

for a trail only rig, rocks can be FAR cheaper than 1 tons.

This build got stupid pricy because I was doing so much at one time (Did the 4-link, coilovers, full hydro, new engine, in addition to the axle swap all at once, which saves you money & time in the end), and because I wanted to try some things that were a little costlier, like the aluminum links.

OTOH, I got some good deals here and there, like the killer deal on the wheels...

I'll say that the rocks are WAY cheaper than a set of 1-tons, and still cheaper even the way I built 'em. But the crummy steering angle is an issue, which is why I wanted to do 4WS. Funny thing is, the steering angle isn't much worse at all than the Toyota axle it replaced.. :p

If you wanted to do 4WS 1-tons, that would get seriously pricy, real fast.

Was just looking back through the photos.. Did the entire build in 5 months, which included a few weeks off, and also rebuilding my motorcycle after the crash at the track. *Patting myself on the back*

I'm just jealous your getting yours done b4 mine, I'm reaaal close thou, scramblin to get a bunch of small annoying stuff done b4 I have to head back up to State in two weeks :shaking:

The differance is, HIS is SAFE, is FUNCTIONAL and is BUILT RIGHT.

What do we expect out of your half assed attempt ?

2.25" pipes through 2 Hushpower II mufflers (17" case), into a 3" collector, then out a :bling:stainless steel tip that they had basically installed before I even knew what was up, but it actually looks pretty good in person, IMO.

lookin' good!!

sounds a little different than when you drove it off the trailer at CRS...:)

I'll have to say...that's the first two-muffler-one-tailpipe setup I've ever seen...most run a single muffler and then put in a y-pipe (or a one-in, two-out muffler) to simulate duals...

but then again, maybe a lot of people do it and I've just never noticed it...

:bling::bling:

Greg

I'll have to say...that's the first two-muffler-one-tailpipe setup I've ever seen...

Pretty common on large engine trucks ( Silverado with 8.1 to name one) usually 3/4 ton and larger

Pretty common on large engine trucks ( Silverado with 8.1 to name one) usually 3/4 ton and larger

good to know...

didn't do the calc, but I'd guess one 3" pipe is fairly close to two 2.25" pipes as far as total flow...

and it's probably easier to route two smaller pipes, and fit two smaller mufflers...

Greg

or the weekend after he drives mine. :flipoff2:
which will still be next summer:flipoff2:

if you'd bought an atlas you'd be done by now.......

There'd be two of us done...or at least alot closer...
Rich...it's time for 3rd hill at Globe with this setup...I'll block the trail so the cops can't get in and you go for it...:driver:

:lol: Sad but true.

Globe is where its at! I will be up in boone on the 17th for school.

Back