Just some junk on Rockwells build thread..

Rich

Asshole at large
This will be a long thread outlining some of what's going on with my Cruiser over the next few months. Target completion date: July '07. I'll honestly be happy to get on the trail this year.

Not much to see right now, the cruiser is in the garage missing a rear axle but that's about it. Haven't even been able to snap a photo of the axles, since it's always dark when I get home.

The idea is to cut the front of the frame similar to this to allow for more uptravel..
GMCfrontend.jpg

The rear of the frame will be hacked off right behind the b-hoop on the cage, but the rear tubework will look similar to how it is now.

"Specs"
2 steer rockwells - front locker, rear spool/welded
Axles narrowed, hubs out.
front wheel brakes
rear pinion brake
4-link F&R, 2" .500" lowers, 1.5" .250 uppers
Leaning towards the rock equipment coil-over air shocks for suspension, but not 100% sure yet.
full hydro, 4-wheel steering
~106-110" WB
90° F&R approach
42" IROK's
rear "adjustable band-aid" (a.k.a. winch)
No more than 25" under the belly at trail pressure, with 4" uptravel.
17x9" Trailready's with 3/8" pressed plate Staz centers, 6.5" BS
rockwheel.jpg

Side view of the "before".. 101" WB, 38.5" SX's
before.jpg

Nice! I honestly saw you as a dana 60 guy and not a Rockwell guy. haha Rich was always "Light is right!" and then he goes to Rockwells :bounce:

I say keep the cruizer as is and start fabing a new chassis. Then when you get the axles/suspension stuff done, swap over your driveline parts.. We can scroung you up a mockup tranny and engine block to get things positioned where you want it... As much as i know you will think everything through and analyze every aspect of the project, i think you'd be happier starting with a clean slate..

Just toss some axle back under the cruiser and then you can at least wheel while your building....

I say keep the cruizer as is and start fabing a new chassis. Then when you get the axles/suspension stuff done, swap over your driveline parts.. We can scroung you up a mockup tranny and engine block to get things positioned where you want it... As much as i know you will think everything through and analyze every aspect of the project, i think you'd be happier starting with a clean slate..
Just toss some axle back under the cruiser and then you can at least wheel while your building....

That sounds like a good idea, better yet why don't you just buy a chassis:D

Rich was always "Light is right!" and then he goes to Rockwells :bounce:

I still say that light *IS* right.. it just isn't cheap.

I guess I should have mentioned WHY I went this route - If I was to build a 60 / 9" combo (which was the original plan), I wouldn't get to wheel at all this year... I'd be building the axles. These axles and wheels came up, and the combination made for a good deal.

The end project is going to cost $$, but much of it would be the same no matter what axle was under it.. Steering, links, coilovers, etc. would be the same across the board.

I'll have a little under $3500 in a pair of hell-for-stout, locked, 4 wheel steering axles with the clearance of a D44... You could spend that on a front 60 alone and be ~150lbs lighter.

Jim - Maybe in a few years - for now, I'll just watch and drool..

Do you already have wheel brakes for the front? Do you need some 1.5 .250 tubing? I have some if you need it, I'll make you a deal.

I have the DOM, but have not bought the front brakes yet..

I'll have a little under $3500 in a pair of hell-for-stout, locked, 4 wheel steering axles with the clearance of a D44... You could spend that on a front 60 alone and be ~150lbs lighter.
I totaly agree , I've got way over 5k in my front axle and pushing 4k in my rear and I still get nervous everytime I really get on it. I could have a field full of steering rockwells for that kind of coin.

I would not waste my $$$ on wheel brakes. Travis's (was thad's) has a detroit in the front and I have seen no issues with pinion brakes.

I've noticed you can hear the detroit banging around alittle when first applying the brakes, but other than that they work really well.

Are you sure you won't regret only going with a 42" with that kind of axle beef?

Pretty sure.. I'm trying to keep the overall width down for one, and over 42, the widths get silly.

Also, it's not like these things are a plow like a 14 bolt.. I've got the same clearance that I do with my cruiser axles, and I'm happy with them.. the 42's will give me 2+" additional clearance under the diff..

Plus, it's just insurance...with rear steer and all..

But in the end.. 42's are pretty dang big... Where does it all end?

But in the end.. 42's are pretty dang big... Where does it all end?

Probably with you loading up your rig grumbling about how it takes 6+ hours to get to any trails that offer you any challenge. :flipoff2:

Probably with you loading up your rig grumbling about how it takes 6+ hours to get to any trails that offer you any challenge. :flipoff2:

All he will have to do is come to the playground, or our new site, there are lines there that are only limited by your sack size.

All he will have to do is come to the playground, or our new site, there are lines there that are only limited by your sack size.

I haven't seen the new place yet. I will have to get out there at the next open ride. :beer:

Gary made it up in his XJ on 33's with some body damage. Ah, now I see why you think you need 42's to go there. :fuck-you:

I haven't seen it...just going on what I was heard second-hand from one of the Mud Devils...

the rock obstacle to climb just to get to the place is what seems to be possibly the toughest spot, or so the rumor goes...:D

now...back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Rich and his Rocks...

Greg

I guess I should have mentioned WHY I went this route - If I was to build a 60 / 9" combo (which was the original plan), I wouldn't get to wheel at all this year... I'd be building the axles. These axles and wheels came up, and the combination made for a good deal.
The end project is going to cost $$, but much of it would be the same no matter what axle was under it.. Steering, links, coilovers, etc. would be the same across the board.
Jim - Maybe in a few years - for now, I'll just watch and drool..

finally gonna get something that can handle your right foot?:flipoff2:

Back