irok ? tsl ? or bogger ??????

broncomania

im going to buy new tires this week or next week. im going to start wheeling at more places ive never been to before. like tellico, callantee, harland, etc.
ive been to ure before. anyways , i know a lot of guys and gals on here already go to these places and i wanted to here some different opinions on these tires for these places to wheel. what do you like or dis-like. what do you recommend. im running 42's or 44's. thanks

16" or 16.5 ?????

IROK

I like my IROKS but they are similar to Boggers in that the scooped outside lugs catch hell if you are spinning on sharper rocks. The siping works great on smooth muddy rock (Tellico). Also pretty quiet considering the voids between the blocks.

I'd say iroks as I've heard they are very versatile. Or, just roll with these...
ACF158A.jpg

im runnin iroks and i know my next set of tires will be TSL's. jdubb is right those outside lugs catch hell, mine have been on 6 trips and all of them are about the same width now instead of 3 different lengths stickin out. callalantee is hard on tires. iroks are good but i think they wear out faster. boggers are for mud.

TSL's tried, true and proven. IROK's I have seen them do very well on the trail, but no one I know has run them for any length of time. (All I have seen are pretty new) Boggers, nah, I have those and wish I didn't

I like my Boggers, a LOT for all the terrains I see.
They have done well at Tellico, but can chunk on ya if the "side" lugs hug a sharp rocks

Next set will be IROKS though,

TSLs, (Ill probably be flamed here) but I have never been impressed with. Not great in mud, not great on rocks, not as good on the street as a bogger, and I have horrible luck with their wear pattern (always drasticaly uneven, despite being a tad obsessive compulsive about checking a.p.)

I like my IROKs a lot!
I ran MTR's, LTB's and now IROKs
The LTBs were great also but I went to 36" IROKs.
So far so good.

Another vote for the IROK's, I'm on my 2nd set.

I like my Iroks (I opted for the Radials)...

2 trips to Tellico
1 trip to Crozet
5 trips to DPG
7 trips to UNF

not sure how many miles on them, but 6 of the Uwharrie trips, 4 of the DPG and one of the Tellico were are driven there (not trailered)...

plenty of tread left, and they've worked pretty good in all places so far...

Greg

4x4fever said:
im runnin iroks and i know my next set of tires will be TSL's

Rode with Fever and some of the other App Off Road group at the SFWDA convention in June. Just what I witnessed on the first day of riding, all the TSLs made it up the waterfall on Welder, all the IROKs winched. My Gumbo Mudders winched also :) I had been waffling but after the weekend of riding I called Galloway's and switched my order from IROKs to TSLs. I have seen IROKs perform well several times but when the time came to make the call and pony up the $$ I had to stick with proven, time tested, old school, TSLs.

I've loved my Iroks, they've made 3 trips to Paragon, 1 to Telico, and several other places.

CYJKrawler said:
Rode with Fever and some of the other App Off Road group at the SFWDA convention in June. Just what I witnessed on the first day of riding, all the TSLs made it up the waterfall on Welder, all the IROKs winched. My Gumbo Mudders winched also :) I had been waffling but after the weekend of riding I called Galloway's and switched my order from IROKs to TSLs. I have seen IROKs perform well several times but when the time came to make the call and pony up the $$ I had to stick with proven, time tested, old school, TSLs.
I look at it this way, an IROK is just a newer TSL with siping and scooped lugs. There is always terrain that benefits a certain tire/rig setup.

i dont see how everybody says their iroks wear well. mine have not at all. of course i basically hit rock gardens with them and they are gettin tore up all to pieces. everybody runnin TSL's are still looking and performing great. my 6month old IROKS look like ive had them 3 years, while everyone running TSL's on the same trails but more times than I with iroks still look great.

theres no way you can go wrong with TSL's if you want IROKS sipe your TSL's

Hey,

honestly, i think you'll be happy with any of those tires. i personally have Boggers and love them. they've done well at UNF and haven't let me down in the mud yet either. they're tough tires. wicked loud on the hwy. wearing "well" is relative. none of these tires are going to last very long under hard use, that's just the way it goes with purpose built tires like these. though i'm sure the Boggers have to be at the bottom of the barrel as far as tread life goes... but who cares, they look cool, lol.

i can see where the siping on the Iroks could be beneficial. and there's a reason TSL's are still so popular. they must be good at something, lol.

and there's always thornbirds . . . :D

later,
bigmac

Ive got IROK bias on my jeep, and while they do work well, the wear is something to be ashamed of. I have at most 3000 miles on them and they are significantly worn.

My next set of tires will probably be TSL SX's, just because they seem to last longer and are supposed to have a tougher sidewall.

Another tire to consider is the Procomp Xterrain, as jeepercreature said. I ran 2 sets of Xterrains, and was never disappointed. I thought they wore too fast, but I got over 25k miles out of both sets. The only reason I run the IROKs is because Xterrains over 35" are astronomically priced.

i have ran 2 sets of tsl radials and they SUCK in the mud but i have never had a proab with them at URE and even with harsh highway use they last pretty long.

I love my Xterrians. The lugs and voids are not as large as the mentioned tires above. but I go anywhere. I climb of flat walls and the sidewall sticks like glue. I floor it for long periods on the trial and I get little rock rash. My wife drives it everyday normally unless she takes the XJ which she does not like. I have about 5k miles on this set of xterrians and maybe less than 5% wear. They look new aside from rock rash which is very very little. They are a little pricey I think but I think they work great We were at URE the week that it rain for like 10hours in 2 days and every hole was mud and rain. My tires were about the only ones that cleaned well enough to get to the next whole without a tire full of mud. They have a very strong plywall. Ask anyone that saw me running 4PSI with the beadlocks and flooring it up Daniel in the rain (the wife drove)

The only other tire I would run for all around is the Claw which they say is just like the xterrian.

I Love my Bias TSLs

bias + 4 wheeling = good times.

i used to run 37" SSR's and those are nothing but meaty treaded street tires. you had to run .5 of a psi in air pressure so they would wrap around rocks. nevermore.

What you have to realize is the tire technology is going FORWARD. BIAS tires are working towards being smooth and quiet as radials. Radial tires are trying to be as strong and pliable as BIAS. Example: BFG Crawlers and Swamper IROKS.

Back