i want to drive the montero off a cliff

Don't drive it off a cliff......

Push it off a cliff......

Good luck. If you have something else to drive, just be patient and keep looking. If you were closer I'd try to give you a hand. If you have the $$ see if you can get a cheapo reman AutoZone, Advance, or Jasper. If they have one it may be an only option....
Sometimes..... You can call an engine rebuilding place (Jasper - they may not have one) and they might give you a ballpark figure. If you're interested - leave info and they will give you a call if they come across something.

Anyone notice no "tailpipe" sniffing from Ricky on this?... Either he's busy with exams or... partially responsible for the lack of fluids...
"Since I'm under here, might as well drain the fluids...." :lol:

:flipoff2:
I'm actually not in town at my buddies house for the week swapin some one tons, crossover and hydro assist into his K5 (the white and red one) so my computer acess is limited.

Kirsten - yea the motor issue def sucks, the name of the junkyard in Davidson I was tellin you about on the phone earlier is Waynes Automotive, sometimes they can be expensive on parts but they also seem to have random oddball vehicles every time i go there so who knows be worth a call, ask them if they have any Montero's there number is 704-932-5302

But yea keep reasearchin as to what engines can bolt up to your tranny might open up a couple routes you might not have been aware of. I should be back in Mooresville round the end of the week.

If you need some help getting the new motor in let me know, I'm sure I can make some room in the shop and get some people over to help.

I mean I'm thinkin this is the perfect excuse to swap in a 350 and some 1tons and at least 44" tall tires :driver:
I never would have thought that you wanted to do that:lol:

No, you should push it off a cliff, since it won't drive by itself..

Depends.. How much is a rebuild going to cost you?

You might be able to buy a re-man for what a rebuild would cost

yep. hey i found this guy that is puttin a diesel in his montero. so he said hed give me his 2.6 out of it for 200 bucks..it needs rebuild though...should i do this?

If it is an identical swap it doesn't sound like a bad deal. But if there are ANY changes, u will want to make sure you have the computers, etc. Swapping engines is fairly painless if identical, but the more differences the PITA factor goes up exponentially

I bought the 87 Montero for the purpose of putting a diesel engine in it. The previous owner drove it into a shop to have some emissions work done to it. The shop noticed a faint ticking noise in the lower end and brought it to the owner's attention. Instead of getting the engine rebuilt, he sold the car to the shop. It sat for 3 years and I bought it a couple of weeks ago and towed it to my house. It has the factory Mikuni carb on it and what appears to be a new head from the shiny aluminum I can see.

I'm pulling the motor out Memorial Day weekend and putting in a Mitsubishi diesel engine. It's the same engine that is in the '88 Montero and all of the 3 door 4 cylinder Monteros going back to '83. My truck is a 5 speed so you'll need to use your torque converter. You may want to post a question on 4x4wire about what needs to be changed to put a 2.6 motor from a 5 speed into an automatic. I'm not aware of anything else you'll need to change but I'm only an expert on the Montero V6 and diesel. This is the first 2.6 powered Montero I've owned.

my question is what exactly does a rebuild entail? is this somthing that me and some freinds can do or should i pay someone to do it professionaly? damn what a pain in the ass
Depends on the condition internally. Usually just rings and bearings. But probably needs bored, which means new pistons also. I've rebuilt one before in my stock car(2.6 Mitsu, that is). If the inards aren't too bad, and you have the right tools, it's not that complicated.

not at all, now he can reunite the car with its previous owner.
IMO thats worth alot more then a Jeep.

Oh you really think so, eh?
Then I suppose you wouldn't mind helping him out with the cash and time he's lost on it, right?

Back