Heim joint steering info

Turn the bolt the other way do you won't hit the threads and fuck them up. Also I don't see any safety washers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Ok those I still have to get I guess they're special washers...the top joint spacers have really wide washer style top built into it though..like wide enough to go over the ball

Make sure you turn the steering fully towards the pass side before building anything. And droop the suspension out on that side. That's the only way itll clear.
Ok so put body back on cynder blocks, then remove tires and let front axle hang down all the way, then turn steering all way to pass side ,...then mock it up

Well here it is..not welded yet..I know its not "ideal" but should work!!? Gonna add webbing to the corners with 3/16plate on both sides if you think it needs it
0507171112.jpg

And hey hey, that $7 extended brake lines worked just fine on my last rig..yeah we all know I'm a cheap butt

Cheap and ghetto..hahaha

That should work right up to the point that it doesn't. Then you have no steering.
Since it looks like you have already made a decision, at least bevel the tube before you weld it together.
Also Are those exhaust clamps on the leaf springs?

Is your wheels turned all the way right looks like it will still hit the leafs

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Could be the camera fisheye effect, but the wheels don't look turned very much, if at all.

I'm a bit puzzled about why two bends are necessary, because one bend (although still compromised) would be a smaller angle. So eliminate one bend and automatically make the other bend stronger? Is there a clearance problem somewhere that needs the inboard bend?
Oh, I figured it out. Inboard joint angle..

Last edited:
Can you take a shot of what it'll look like on its own weight?

Could be the camera fisheye effect, but the wheels don't look turned very much, if at all.
Dammit, of course I forgot to turn wheels so now gotta remake that first bottom piece

Well here it is..not welded yet..I know its not "ideal" but should work!!? Gonna add webbing to the corners with 3/16plate on both sides if you think it needs it

I wouldnt personally waste the time and effort reinforcing it with plate webbing gussets.

Its .250 wall for gosh sake. As long as you double pass weld it it'll last forever. You could even triple pass if you want but I wouldnt bother with gussets.

Ok now another thought...since my wheel is turned all the way to right but drag link not hooked up, do I turn the steering wheel/Pittman arm all the way to the right too while mocking it up that way??

I wouldnt personally waste the time and effort reinforcing it with plate webbing gussets.

Its .250 wall for gosh sake. As long as you double pass weld it it'll last forever. You could even triple pass if you want but I wouldnt bother with gussets.
I can't tell if ur being serious now or not

I can't tell if ur being serious now or not

serious.
Just get a good weld on it and go have fun.

If it breaks build it stronger. Whats the worst that could happen?

Ok now another thought...since my wheel is turned all the way to right but drag link not hooked up, do I turn the steering wheel/Pittman arm all the way to the right too while mocking it up that way??
??

So you're making a link to connect point A to point B, so point A and point B both need to be in the positions that will be connected. If I understand your question, the answer is obviously yes.

So you're making a link to connect point A to point B, so point A and point B both need to be in the positions that will be connected. If I understand your question, the answer is obviously yes.
Thanks, my brain is on overload lol (yeah I'm pretty flustered right now with this dang steering)

Haha not funny
Im not being funny. Think this through.

When does a tie rod have the most stress on it?

When is it hardest to turn?

If you have ever driven a car without power steering you know this. Its hard as hell to turn at a stop and easy to turn while driving at really any speed.
So if it breaks it will do so while stopped, not moving. Then you are just sitting still. No harm no foul.

Rock on

So this is what it would have to be if this way can work
0507171221.jpg

Does the pitman arm clear the spring when it's turned hard driver and stuffed on the driver side?

you have ever driven a car without power steering you know this. Its hard as hell to turn at a stop and easy to turn while driving at really any speed.
So if it breaks it will do so while stopped, not moving. Then you are just sitting still. No harm no foul.

He has no track bar. So when he's playing hill killer and slides the passenger tire into the bank, the drag link takes the load.

Back