Future shop build advice

The material costs are crazy. I spent about 7500 in just material costs alone for my shop. My electrician was cool and let me help him to save costs.
Yeah but you have a lot of machines. I just need enough juice to run a fridge and a fan so I can escape from my wife and drink beer in peace 😅

I want get into numbers. But the OP needs to build bigger. With the equipment list and any real work space go bigger.
I'm 60 by 40. I can pull a tandem dump truck inside and I'm full.
IMG_20220307_122331648.jpg

Did I say full. I mean this guy has it's cab hanging out the front door. My small plasma room table is behind it. The center is full of tools and storage and the other bay is full of "project".

Also do any and all lean too addition turn key. Don't buy the cheaper box planning to add. It's a head ache and the red iron folks will tell you it wasn't engineered for the extra. So you have to set interior wall post or fabricoble the shed roof.......ask me how I know.

My doors are 16 tall. I don't regret what I can put through them but @Caster will tell you quick air conditioning will be a expensive luxury.

It will be "agricultural" so the county man can't bother me as much
You better know what that MF drinks, or have pics of him with a goat, or his wifes sister (years of experience leaving Hennessey at random locations for local inspectors talking here)

You better know what that MF drinks, or have pics of him with a goat, or his wifes sister (years of experience leaving Hennessey at random locations for local inspectors talking here)
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but one of my buddies is an inspector here. I'm not sure if I'm more ashamed to associate with him or my lawyer buddy 😂

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but one of my buddies is an inspector here. I'm not sure if I'm more ashamed to associate with him or my lawyer buddy 😂
so pics with a goat... CHECK :laughing:

Has anyone here enlisted the services of an engineer to review/stamp post frame building plans? My county is going to require them due to the size of the structure. Most of the places i see advertising it will only give you the stamped plans if you buy their kits. For a number of reasons, i don't really want to go the kit route.

I have no problems drawing up a detailed set of plans with footer sizes, lumber sizes, fasteners, etc, but i have no idea who to go to have my drawings reviewed and stamped, or if an engineer would be willing to do that to prints he didnt draw himself.

Has anyone here enlisted the services of an engineer to review/stamp post frame building plans? My county is going to require them due to the size of the structure. Most of the places i see advertising it will only give you the stamped plans if you buy their kits. For a number of reasons, i don't really want to go the kit route.

I have no problems drawing up a detailed set of plans with footer sizes, lumber sizes, fasteners, etc, but i have no idea who to go to have my drawings reviewed and stamped, or if an engineer would be willing to do that to prints he didnt draw himself.
Do you have any acreage? Gaston county was going to require engineer stamped plans for my shop since it was not "conventional construction" :rolleyes: but I was able to talk to the zoning department and get an "agricultural exception" which only required an electrical inspection for 1 indoor and outdoor light with a switch. The only caveat is that it couldn't be used for "personal storage" such as a boat and was intended to be used for maintaining my property management equipment.

Do you have any acreage? Gaston county was going to require engineer stamped plans for my shop since it was not "conventional construction" :rolleyes: but I was able to talk to the zoning department and get an "agricultural exception" which only required an electrical inspection for 1 indoor and outdoor light with a switch. The only caveat is that it couldn't be used for "personal storage" such as a boat and was intended to be used for maintaining my property management equipment.

My boat manages my mental health (so I don't run over someone with a tractor in anger), and I manage the property. Ergo, the boat is supplementally managing the property

Usually an independent structural engineer (see also retired from big firm and still doing small stuff) will provide you a 18x24 sheet with a small plan, details, elevation, section for a fee. Usually $500 a sheet or close to that.
Helps to know a few contractors, architects, engineers, inspectors in your area to find that person.
But they will likely double the cost of the build because they will take it from 6x6 posts to 8x8 posts and want 2x8 on 15" centers...etc

Just a sample
Capture.JPG

have 16 acres, but it doesn't exactly check any of the boxes to be a "farm". its in planted pines, but i would have to be 20 acres to count as a tree farm, etc.

I am definitely trying to get an exemption, but trying to make plans if that doesn't work out.

Usually an independent structural engineer (see also retired from big firm and still doing small stuff) will provide you a 18x24 sheet with a small plan, details, elevation, section for a fee. Usually $500 a sheet or close to that.
Helps to know a few contractors, architects, engineers, inspectors in your area to find that person.
But they will likely double the cost of the build because they will take it from 6x6 posts to 8x8 posts and want 2x8 on 15" centers...etc

Just a sample
View attachment 369944
This is my concern with the engineered route. I don't mind a little overkill, but i know what can happen when an engineer gets a hold of something like this.

have 16 acres, but it doesn't exactly check any of the boxes to be a "farm". its in planted pines, but i would have to be 20 acres to count as a tree farm, etc.

I am definitely trying to get an exemption, but trying to make plans if that doesn't work out.
Talk with someone at your county extension agency about it, they have been known to help folks on the bubble check the right boxes to be a farm.

Same case here, 18 acres of trees, not cleared, so they wouldn't let me do 10 acres for farming, and don't have 20 acres, so I can't put it in forestry, but they let me do the ag exception on the building :rockon:

This is my concern with the engineered route. I don't mind a little overkill, but i know what can happen when an engineer gets a hold of something like this.
The flip side of that, is you don't want it to collapse because you decided to be a cheap bastard 😎

@Spence I know a great PE, if you are interested. He won't let anything slide that isn't structurally sound, but he won't overbuild it if you don't need / want it bombproof.
He has his own business, I can't guarantee he has room in his schedule, but if I needed a PE stamp, he is the guy I would go to.
Shoot me a PM if you need contact info.

I don't mind a little overkill, but i know what can happen when an engineer gets a hold of something like this.
OTOH, red iron buildings that were signed and sealed fall down every time it snows (probably due to owner modifications).

I added a couple of cows to a property once, and showed a receipt of meat being sold. Rezoned and got the ag tax discount on the property taxes.

Bringing this back up and beating this horse again. Put in a for a quote from r&r today for an insulated 40x50, 14ft eaves w/50 ft lean to. 2 - 12x12 doors on 40ft side and a walk door and 9x10 on the lean to side. When they contact me back I'm going to ask about wet sets, there was nowhere on website to request them. @braxton357 is there still a nc4x4 discount 😁

Bringing this back up and beating this horse again. Put in a for a quote from r&r today for an insulated 40x50, 14ft eaves w/50 ft lean to. 2 - 12x12 doors on 40ft side and a walk door and 9x10 on the lean to side. When they contact me back I'm going to ask about wet sets, there was nowhere on website to request them. @braxton357 is there still a nc4x4 discount 😁

Just ask for Justin and tell them you a friend of Braxton.

Back