Future shop build advice

I have 10 tall by 12 wide doors in my shop in Hartsville. I will not go any narrower then 12 wide. I can back my laoded trailer in a 12 wide. 10 wide is just too narrow to be comfortable. I am planing a 40 x 60 with doors on the short side front and rear. I want to be able to pull through and use my lift to unload anything and pull out the back.

I'm planning to do a 40x80 with 24x80 lean to down each side. One lean to will be enclosed with a 12x12 door in the end and 2 14x14 doors on the short side of the main structure. The other lean to will be left open unless I see a need to enclose it later. I may wind up adding a smaller 10x10 door somewhere down the side of the lean to once everything is settled if needed.

I'm planning to do a 40x80 with 24x80 lean to down each side. One lean to will be enclosed with a 12x12 door in the end and 2 14x14 doors on the short side of the main structure. The other lean to will be left open unless I see a need to enclose it later. I may wind up adding a smaller 10x10 door somewhere down the side of the lean to once everything is settled if needed.
Help me understand, enclosed lean-to? I thought by their very nature they were open on 3-sides with the main support being a buildings exterior wall and perimeter posts.

Help me understand, enclosed lean-to? I thought by their very nature they were open on 3-sides with the main support being a buildings exterior wall and perimeter posts.
You are correct that traditionally a lean to is open except for the shared wall that the lean to is hung from. I will be enclosing one of mine, similar to this picture.
Opt22_Lean-to_partly_closed.jpg

I'm building my barn to house my camper, peterbilt, 5ton, excavator, ctl and attachments, tractor, atvs, sxs, and hopefully have room left over for future projects and some parts so that my shop can stay clean and organized. Atleast that's the plan. I'm doing the lean to because I don't need 16' of height except in the main section and trusses over 40' raise the price considerably due to needing bigger post and I'm guessing larger steel in the trusses also.

My door is 12x8 but not rollup. It takes whatever I need to put in there but I donā€™t have a deuceā€¦want one but donā€™t have one.

You are correct that traditionally a lean to is open except for the shared wall that the lean to is hung from. I will be enclosing one of mine, similar to this picture.
View attachment 357466
I plan to enclose my 2 side sheds eventually on all 3 sides with doors and pour floors in them.

My door is 12x8 but not rollup. It takes whatever I need to put in there but I donā€™t have a deuceā€¦want one but donā€™t have one.
My trailer is 98" outside tire to outside tire!
Id never get it in an 8' door.

My trailer is 98" outside tire to outside tire!
Id never get it in an 8' door.
Just gotta hit it faster. The tires get narrower the faster they spin šŸ‘

Doubtful it will happen anytime soon, but my future building plan is 40x80 with lean-tos down each side. Not sure how wide I will make them, likely 10-12ft. Biggest difference, is that I plan to put the backwall of the main section at the 40ft mark. I really need more storage/parking than I do workshop. Put a 12ft door on each end of the main building, so I can drive through.

Advice for anyone who might find it useful: The uncovered 20'x40' shed section at the end of my shop is 13'6" at the eaves and 20' at the peak, and it is too high because it allows rain in for about 10ft on the end and 6-8ft on the sides.

I have been working with a commercial gc on a few projects lately and building a home shop came up last week. They wanted to quote me just to give a baseline for price considering how outrageous metal is right now.

40x50 red iron, 12x50 leanto on both sides, 4" wall, 6" roof blanket insulation. 3 insulated garage doors, 3 walk doors. No concrete or ground work quoted, no electrical/plumbing quoted. Erected price on my slab, $96k. I'll be waiting this out a little longer šŸ˜‚

Erected price on my slab, $96k.
You're gonna think I'm crazy, but thats a good price

12x50 leanto on both sides,
Priced a wood with metal roof 12x45 lean to 2 weeks ago. MATERIALS alone: $6000 No labor

So pricing for your lean to alone (in wood) would be well over $12,000

Your building, (empty shell) in a pole barn style build, on a slab, would be around $190k with no PM&E I shit you not.

(and expect your garage doors in 13 months if you ordered them today)

My neighbor talked to Morton the other week and had them quote a 30x60. Not sure what all was included but when they told him $250k he said No Thanks.

You're gonna think I'm crazy, but thats a good price

Priced a wood with metal roof 12x45 lean to 2 weeks ago. MATERIALS alone: $6000 No labor

So pricing for your lean to alone (in wood) would be well over $12,000

Your building, (empty shell) in a pole barn style build, on a slab, would be around $190k with no PM&E I shit you not.

(and expect your garage doors in 13 months if you ordered them today)
Oh I know it is, I figured it would be higher. It's still crazy in my head though. Keep in mind, this is with no groundwork, concrete or electrical.

With prices like that I'll keep tinkering in the yard and put my tractor to work. LOL!

I have been working with a commercial gc on a few projects lately and building a home shop came up last week. They wanted to quote me just to give a baseline for price considering how outrageous metal is right now.

40x50 red iron, 12x50 leanto on both sides, 4" wall, 6" roof blanket insulation. 3 insulated garage doors, 3 walk doors. No concrete or ground work quoted, no electrical/plumbing quoted. Erected price on my slab, $96k. I'll be waiting this out a little longer šŸ˜‚
That's pretty good actually.

Oh I know it is, I figured it would be higher. It's still crazy in my head though. Keep in mind, this is with no groundwork, concrete or electrical.
There's so much work out there that all the PM&E subs are throwing STUPID amounts of overhead and markup at anything and the shit sticks.

Just got numbers back on some city of Greensboro work. One single toilet bathroom, with maybe 80ft of sawcut to tie into existing underground. 100ft of 1-1/4" cw supply, point of use water heater for the lav: $118k for Plumbing ALONE

Subs are naming their prices and owners are saying "OK when can you start" šŸ˜³

Back