favorite hot sauces

anvilrubi

20160304_200054.jpg

images.jpg

Cant think of a hot sauce I dont like. My wife buys franks by the gallon. Love that stuff not really that hot but great flavor. Another I really like is the tabasco chipotle sauce.

I use franks to make my buffalo sauce when I do wings and shrimp. Damn getting hungry...

Last edited:
Cholula for eggs
Franks for burgers
Tapatio for a pepper sauce
Carolina ripper for chicken

And I've got a homemade brew for everything else

Oddly enough I do not care for Tabasco sauce at all, just hate the way it taste.
I'm not a fan of "set your face on fire" stuff. I like a mild to hot kind of heat, but mostly after that bold flavor with a kick. Texas Pete is a given but I'd say Franks has topped it in my book.

Cholula for eggs

Preach it brother. Cholula is my favorite stuff you can get at any local grocery store, and is amazing on eggs. Salt, pepper, Cholula, slap the egg on a piece of cheddar. I don't like the flavor of most of the others, too much vinegar or just not enough flavor in general. That, and I like to eat a lot of Mexican food.

You have to have something like Crystal for Cajun food...

I really like Pico Pica but I don't go to enough Mexican grocery stores to find it anywhere. I had to order the last stuff I got...

Franks is way too salty for me.

I like tabasco and Texas Pete. But I do like most others so long as they are edible or too salty.

I am generally pretty good about resisting most hot sauce heat. But one time at Firehouse in Cary I had one of the sauces there and it really got me good. Was the hottest I had ever had. Never been the same since. If it has skulls or XXX on it, I stay away.

These are in the fridge at the moment along with Tabasco, franks, and Texas Pete.
I like all of these equally but on different things. If I had to rank them, my overall fav is probably El Yucateco followed closely by Tortuga and Tornado.

Oh and forgot that we have siraccha too. Mostly use that with our home made spicy tuna sushi

image.jpg

Last edited:
Cholula is the best all purpose sauce at my house. My kids make me get it when I forget to bring it to the table. Kinda have to laugh when I have to put Cholula on a 2 yr olds (fill in the blank) after he requests it and gets pissed if I refuse.

View attachment 211791

Warm, smoky, good on just about everything. Not a challenge sauce, just a good staple sauce. Sriracha when I need something more on the sweet side.
I can get that at the local flea market if the "guy" is there for a buck a qt. Best bang for the buck (literally) hot sauce period. I like best it on steamed oysters.

I was just talking about getting oysters soon. This thread reminded me of splitting a box of oysters on new years w a friend, lump charcoal on the smoker with Chilie Lime Cholula. I might have to get the top 10 and do a taste test. :D

Back